+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Long Wait To Get And Ultimate Disappointment With My New 1895SBL

Team 39 Co-Capt'n Wrangler
    Member #

Long Wait To Get And Ultimate Disappointment With My New 1895SBL

Good evening everyone, this is my first post here on the forum and I'll start with a little introduction. My name is Kevin and I hail from the beautiful Pacific Northwest and live just outside of Eugene, Oregon. I am the owner/operator of a welding and fabrication business and run it out of my shop located on the 10 acres we own. I have two main clients I provide for. One is a bicycle manufacturer who I do several different things for and the other is a company that makes tools and ground support equipment for the helicoptor industry. I do all of their welding/fabrication which includes some in-flight parts as well as some military stuff for the Navy and Northrop Grunman. Mostly though, it is specialty tools/ground support equipment related to maintenance of the aircraft. I have been in business myself for 8 years and welded bicyle frames for three years before that.

That said, I have come here to share my experience buying a new Marlin 1895SBL. I would like to preface this by saying I am not here to bash Marlin. I have come to share my experience in hopes of maybe helping someone else out who may be looking at one of these rifles as well as hoping that Marlin sees this and maybe takes a look at how they QC these rifles before they go out the door.

I picked the rifle up last Friday, Feb. 5th. I had been looking for one of these since they came out and had been waiting almost a year since I first expressed the want to buy one at my local shop. I looked it over pretty good, or so I thought, before I paid for it and left the store. I got it back to my shop and was excited to jump into the initial cleaning so that is what I did. I like to do a complete field strip as well as remove the stock and any other things that may need to be checked so I proceeded to remove stock and the XS Lever Rail/front sight. My plan was to make sure it was installed correctly, ensure that there was Loctite on all the screw threads, and to see that the screws were tightened properely. It's here that I will say that while I am not a trained gunsmith, I do own a Wheeler screwdriver set and two different gun vices and am familiar with more than the just the basic field strip procedures on all my firearms.

So, the issues I ran into were that the stock, where it meets up with the reciever, was showing some black material flaking from the interface there. I scraped what I could away with my fingernails while the stock was mounted but I could tell there was more there so that's when I removed the stock. Here is a pic of the gun before I started working on it.

Here is a pic of what the right side of the stock looked like before I took it off. You can see there is a gap in the fit from the top until about halfway down.

So, I took the stock off to find that the black flaky material was indeed coming off in the area of the stock/reciever interface. I started to rub it off with my fingers and got the majority of it to come off but then quickly figured out that if I went much further that there was going to be a singificant gap where the stock met the reciever. Couple that with the fact that part of the stock broke away when I was flaking the black material off and that was where my real disappointment began. The following pics attempt to show what I am referring to.

The obvious lines on the stock/reciever interface you can see in the last three pictures are the only thing that is keeping you from seeing the crappy fit-up and the gaps that are present in the fitment of the stock to the reciever. I also have a 336 XLR and the stock on that rifle is nowhere near the poor fit-up that this one is.

Then, I just happen to notice that the XS Lever Rail was not sitting right on the barrel. There was a gap between the front of the rail and the barrel just past where the dovetail slot in the barrel is located. You can just make it out in this picture.

That's when I decided to remove the rail and just make sure everything was correct. So, I got the rail off and didn't notice, until I went to put it back on, that it had been installed incorrectly at the factory. Whoever installed this thing obviously did not read the directions. I know this because I have a lever rail that I got a few weeks back to install on my 336 XLR and the instructions are VERY specific. The part that goes into the rear sight dovetail is OVERSIZED on purpose. You are supposed to have to file the flat bottom down to fit in your dovetail slot. In fact, the instructions, and video, show that you do this until it fits approximately halfway into the DT slot. Then you tap in in the rest of the way. It was obvious that whoever installed the rail at the factory DID NOT do this.Here is the results of that fiasco.

This picture shows what the bottom of the dovetail block looks like. The one on the left is for my 336 and the one on the right is from my 1895SBL. You can see that the factory outside flats are still there on BOTH pieces indicationg that no material was removed from the one on my SBL.

Next, you can see the brass punch marks left by the tool that pounded this thing into the slot (just wait till you see the slot)

This photo shows the other side and is my mark for getting it out of the slot.

The other thing that I discovered was that the reason for the gap on the front of the rail was that because the dovetail block was hit so hard with the punch, it would not go through the locating hole on the rail. The block is toast and the only way I would be able to get it to fit to the rail is to wallow it out a bit. I won't be doing that and it will go back with the rifle to Marlin.

So, the gorilla who installed the block also did a number on the slot in the barrel by not removing any material before pounding it in. The next shot shows the resulting damage to the slot.

Needless to say I am kind of pissed. I had already called Marlin about the stock and they are sending me a label to ship the rifle back. I just found out about the rail today though and was just a little floored at the level of what I consider to be incompetence in terms of installing the Lever rail. I don't doubt that Marlin will make it right but this is the kind of crap that gets to me about buying American. I go out of my way, and even pay a premium, to keep my dollars here in the USA and this is what I get? Again, I am not trying to bash Marlin but rather to call attention to, and make others aware of, their shortcomings and educate my fellow gun enthusuiasts about my experience. Thanks for reading my rant.

mrguvna and gondwana like this.
    Team 39 #2 Co-Captain
    Old Phart #16
    Team 39-30 #53
    Team .45-70 #106

Tinhorn
    Member #

Re: Long Wait To Get And Ultimate Disappointment With My New 1895SBL

I know how you feel. In April 2002 I purchased a new 1895 Cowboy that the best group I could get at 100 yards was around 12 inches. Upon checking everything out I found that the barrel had the famous " Speed Bumps " in it under the dovetails for the sights and the barrel-magazine holder. Sent the rifle back to Marlin and they replaced the barrel. The rifle should have never left the factory with the bad barrel.

maxmo

Drivin my life away... Cowpoke
    Member #

It isn't so much Marlin (as a company) I don't think...

Its the people actually doing the work....there is no such thing as taking pride in your work these days, or at least I don't see it anywhere. Everybody is just watching that clock...waiting on quittin time.

I recently bought a Marlin that had a few bugs, but not near as bad as yours...I'm betting your rifle was a "Friday afternoon gun".

Good help is hard to find.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Sorry about your misfortune, esp. for your 1st post.
    Hope you get it cleared up.

BTW, welcome to MO.

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgerunner665
    It isn't so much Marlin (as a company) I don't think...

Its the people actually doing the work....there is no such thing as taking pride in your work these days, or at least I don't see it anywhere. Everybody is just watching that clock...waiting on quittin time.

I recently bought a Marlin that had a few bugs, but not near as bad as yours...I'm betting your rifle was a "Friday afternoon gun".

Good help is hard to find.
    I disagree about "Marlin", the folks doing the work ARE Marlin and as such, their work speaks volumes about the company. I agree wholeheartedly though about folks taking pride in their work. I see, or rather don't see, it here all the time and often struggle to find the right kind of help when I need it for my business.
    Team 39 #2 Co-Captain
    Old Phart #16
    Team 39-30 #53
    Team .45-70 #106

Member #

Here are a couple more shots of the fubar'ed slot. One other thing, I did speak with my dealer today about these issues and he's wanting to help me get this resolved. The rifle came from Davidsons so in the morning, I am going to contact them and share these issues as well as give them a link to this thread. I'm also going to contact XS Sights to inform them of how their product is being installed.

Team 39 #2 Co-Captain
    Old Phart #16
    Team 39-30 #53
    Team .45-70 #106

Drivin my life away... Cowpoke
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by CKB

.... the folks doing the work ARE Marlin and as such, their work speaks volumes about the company.
    Thats true...100%.

But they can't just stop production because they can't find good help...well, maybe they could but I think we all know thats not gonna happen and why.

I've given this a lot of thought lately, and not just concerning Marlin...all gun makers. I truly believe the decline in quality is more about employees than cost cutting and poor materials.

To Marlin (and all the rest) I say this...its an employers market out there right now more than ever, and if they won't do the job with pride....FIRE THEIR ASS, and find somebody who will.
    JChilders likes this.

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgerunner665
    Quote Originally Posted by CKB

.... the folks doing the work ARE Marlin and as such, their work speaks volumes about the company.
    Thats true...100%.

But they can't just stop production because they can't find good help...well, maybe they could but I think we all know thats not gonna happen and why.

I've given this a lot of thought lately, and not just concerning Marlin...all gun makers. I truly believe the decline in quality is more about employees than cost cutting and poor materials.

To Marlin (and all the rest) I say this...its an employers market out there right now more than ever, and if they won't do the job with pride....FIRE THEIR ASS, and find somebody who will.
    Well said. I appreciate your sentiment.
    Team 39 #2 Co-Captain
    Old Phart #16
    Team 39-30 #53
    Team .45-70 #106

Team 45/70 Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

Most places nowadays work on a production rate. I wonder if these people need to pump out so many pieces per hour? It's obvious Marlin is using filler for their poorly made stocks as weve seen that here before. No doubt the the sight dove tail was instaled wrong as I have instaled this sight myself! And looking at that dovetail i'm wondering if that barrel is any good? We used to beeach about quality and some of the OVER THE TOP M.O. members who will be along shortly will stick up for Marlin and iv'e seen it before...well the gun was only $450 new what do you expect it's a well made afordable gun not one of those $1000 fancy ones! Well now the SBL WITH TAX IS PUSHING $1000 NOW... well isn't it? I hope you get it worked out I would be pi$$ed too!
    Lou

Quote...
    "Marlin is gone forever. All that remains is the Trademark Marlin name that someone put's on their inferior products!" LEVER ADDICT

Team 45-70 #3 Team 44-40 #5
    Team 35 #327 Team 30-30 #340
    Team 38-55 #2 Team 1894 #273

Team 35 Remington Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

I was very pleased to see the pictures and detail in your post. So many times we have drive-by posters who complain about something and we never see them again. In that case one wonders if it's all a ruse. In this case you have very accurate detail of the problems with this rifle. I think Marlin will resolve all these issues, but they shouldn't have gotten out of the shop in the first place. Makes one wonder what ever happened to QA/QC.

We have a small manufacturing shop where I work and we fabricate and assemble a lot of different equipment. I can tell you that employees are a problem. But we don't allow issues like this to leave the shop, and if there is an employee that has a problem with assembly, or just doesn't have the dexterity to assemble parts correctly, that employee is dismissed in short order. But it takes QA/QC to be able to recognize those problems. This is where I feel Marlin has dropped the ball. Somebody has to be looking out for these issues and correcting the problem before they leave the shop.

Keep us informed of your progress and your resolution to the problems.
    The Older I Get...The Better I was...
    Team 444 Member #175
    Team 35 Member #2
    Team 39 Member #10
    Marlin League #26
    338 MX...It's not your father's lever action!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links