+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Does anyone have a .457 magnum?

Sidewinder
    Member #

Does anyone have a .457 magnum?

I just bought a Wild West Guide chambered in their .457 mag. Their website lists several loads useing bullets of 300 to 405gr. but only recomend the most potent 405 grain loads for North american large and dangerous game "bear". I am planning a trip to Africa and may need something heavy for defense on Buffalo as I will be backing up a friend who is insisting on taking a Buffalo with a muzzleloader. I am thinking of more like a 500 gr solid . I just am wondering if anyone out there has experience reloading the 457 with heavier bullets than 405grs. Or should I just go with some of Garretts 45.70 and live with that. I plan to do some reloading so I want to do some experimenting anyway with this 457 and compair with 45.70 with the same bullet . My rifle has a 16.5" ported barrel so I am going into this with a estimated loss of -135 fps over a 22" barrel. Im thinking the more potent .457 will make up some of this loss although I know the animal on the receiving end wont know the difference. I am more intersted in what trajectory difference I will find on the 300 to 405 grain bullets between the 457 and the 45.70 as I hope I will be able to get a little more velosity out of the .457. I am not experienced at reloading and know I have to stay within certain preasures. I wonder does the 1/10" longer case of the .457 allow faster velocities while also keeping preasures down? If not what is the sense of having a longer case, just load the 45.70 to its max. Right?
    The Leatherman
    Team member #498
    WWG Alaskan Guide .457 magnum

Drivin my life away... Super Moderator
    Member #

Re: Does anyone have a .457 magnum?

Yes...longer case equals more powder at the same pressure which, in turn, equals longer pressure curve.

As far as trajectory...I'd need to know the actual muzzle velocity and bullet to be used to give any reasonably accurate predictions of how much better it will be than the 45-70.

I have no actual hands on knowledge of the .457 Magnum.

Member #

http://www.wildwestguns.com/loading.html

Well...I don't see much difference in the 457 and a hot loaded 45-70. Maybe the 457, with its longer case, is another way to prevent hot ammo getting into the old rifles...i don't know.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Theleatherman
    I just bought a Wild West Guide chambered in their .457 mag. Their website lists several loads useing bullets of 300 to 405gr. but only recomend the most potent 405 grain loads for North american large and dangerous game "bear". I am planning a trip to Africa and may need something heavy for defense on Buffalo as I will be backing up a friend who is insisting on taking a Buffalo with a muzzleloader. I am thinking of more like a 500 gr solid . I just am wondering if anyone out there has experience reloading the 457 with heavier bullets than 405grs. Or should I just go with some of Garretts 45.70 and live with that. I plan to do some reloading so I want to do some experimenting anyway with this 457 and compair with 45.70 with the same bullet . My rifle has a 16.5" ported barrel so I am going into this with a estimated loss of -135 fps over a 22" barrel. Im thinking the more potent .457 will make up some of this loss although I know the animal on the receiving end wont know the difference. I am more intersted in what trajectory difference I will find on the 300 to 405 grain bullets between the 457 and the 45.70 as I hope I will be able to get a little more velosity out of the .457. I am not experienced at reloading and know I have to stay within certain preasures. I wonder does the 1/10" longer case of the .457 allow faster velocities while also keeping preasures down? If not what is the sense of having a longer case, just load the 45.70 to its max. Right?
    No worries - your friend's PH should have a 375 or 458 for back-up. Also, be aware that African heat and humidity can dramatically raise ammunition pressure upon firing; if it's sticky or hard to eject here, get different ammo that isn't.
    Bad judgment makes for bad business.

Sidewinder
    Member #

I know the PH will be there to back him up , but I am going to ask that I get a follow up shot in as well after my friend shoots his one and only. That way I can say I shot a buffalo with my rifle. Also I have read and seen youtube vidieos where things go really bad even with a PH. This is for my own satisfaction knowing I got a little extra horse power under the hood. I have read many testimonials of buffalo being taken with 45.70 and even two with one shot with pass through on both buffalo! Must have been a solid jacket. But I have a .457 and might as well use it to its potential especially with my 16 1/2" ported barrel which will bring performance back down to hot 45.70 loads.
    Wild West has loading information with 300 grain bullets getting 2390fps and 2214fps with a 350 grain bonded core bullet and 2075 fps with a 405 grain JFP bullet. Now these are based on a 22" barrel length and their suggested max and they reccomend a lighter load that reduces these by around 100fps +-. Also keep in mind a reduction of 135fps. with my 16 1/2" ported barrel. These probably wouldnt be the most accurate loads. They are reccomending their 350 grain bonded core bullet for American dangerous game "Bear" and their 405grain JFP bullet for African non-dangerous game. This is what I was thinking of useing for shooting the anelope up to Kuda size with. I have some more research to do on bullets though and this may change. I have to pick out a well recommended bullet for Cape Buffalo too. So far every thing I have read reccomends bullet weights of 500gr or more. This is the area I need help with on a powder charge in the .457 case.
    The Leatherman
    Team member #498

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Well, enjoy your hunt no matter what!
    Bad judgment makes for bad business.

Con
    Tinhorn
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Theleatherman
    So far every thing I have read reccomends bullet weights of 500gr or more. This is the area I need help with on a powder charge in the .457 case.
    Look into Woodleigh's hydrostatic monolithics. Available as a 325gr or 400gr in 45cal. They tested a 220gr from a 375Win and dropped a few Asiatic buffalo with it ... dead straight penetration and deep.
    Cheers...
    Con

Wrangler
    Member #

If you do not have already, I have a 457 die set.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgerunner665
    Yes...longer case equals more powder at the same pressure which, in turn, equals longer pressure curve.

As far as trajectory...I'd need to know the actual muzzle velocity and bullet to be used to give any reasonably accurate predictions of how much better it will be than the 45-70.

I have no actual hands on knowledge of the .457 Magnum.
    Itís so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then donít say it. Sam Levinson

Sidewinder
    Member #

Are you meaning you have the die set for sale? If so I might be interested. email me off line at gary_fatherree@comcast.net
    The Leatherman
    Team member #498

Member #

Naphtali,

That is one neat avatar...reminds me of my uncle Charles.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links