+ Reply to Thread

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Marlin 1895 45-70 feeding problems

My new 1895 does not like to feed factory Win 300 grain or handloads with Hornady 350gr FP.

I thought it was operator error with the lever, but this is not the case. In order to get a cartridge from the tube to the chamber I must wiggle the lever a bit and shake the gun. The cartridge hangs up after the lever is fully extended... the lever doesn't want to return.

So I had an action job done to smooth out the stiffness and reduce the spring pressure. Unfortunately, this did not improve the ammo feeding problem... no change.

Any thoughts?

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Re: Marlin 1895 45-70 feeding problems

Do the cartridges come completely out of the magazine?
    Check the loading gate screw for tightness as well for protrusion into the action.
    Remove the bolt in order to see into the action, then try and see what happens.

From what you describe, the carrier never gets a chance to lift the cartridge to the chamber, check
    the next cartridge and see if it is not stopping before getting onto the carrier; it should not be on top
    of the carrier but should be in the magazine stopped by the carrier. One cartridge should be fully on the
    carrier clear of the magazine while the next cartridge is against the end of the carrier still in the magazine.

Your rifle should feed both of these cartridges. It should be an easy fix. (I hope)

SS
    In God We Trust
    L.D. the SwampSniper

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Generally feeding problems for handloads (for me at least) revolve around not getting the total overall length of the round to 2.55 inches. A round too long causes feed problems and one too short does sometimes to a lesser degree. If you have looked at the mechanical things and they are correct, this is where I would look next.
    "That wasn't shootin, that was killin" -- Rafe Covington

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Thanks for replying.

The handloads are within spec on overall length. So it is some kinda mechanical issue with this gun when feeding ammo.

Unfortunately, I was not even in line when mechanical aptitude/abilities were handed out (computer/logic type). So troubleshooting the problem will take me a while... I've yet to take the gun apart to see what's inside.

In the next day or so I'll make a few dummy loads (no primer/powder) and try to catch where the ammo is hanging up.

It would help if I knew how the lever action worked to begin with. If you know of a book or web site that explains what parts move when the lever is pushed, please let me know.

This is my first big bore gun and I love it. Now to get the thing to feed ammo.

Site Contibutor Super Moderator
    Member #

Look in our refference section. Theres a whole bunch of things you should find helpful.
    If your lever is getting stuck in the full down position its likely the lifter letting a second round get in the way. Sometimes the head just barely pokes out & its hard to believe its causing the stop.
    Ken,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Leverdude/
    Team 1894 member#146
    Team 45/70 member#458
    Freedoms not free!
    Support your NRA!

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Thanks for all the input. I took my 1895 to a gunsmith and brought your suggestions along for him to read. I expect the gun back in a couple of days.

I am surprised how much I like the big bore. Ya know something happened after pulling the trigger... BLAM!!! What a hoot.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

The gunsmith looked my 1895 over and there are no burrs or obvious problems that would cause the feeding issue. He tried several brands/types of 45-70 ammo and they all get stuck in the action. His guess is that the cam is not up to par.

His suggestion is to return the gun to Marlin for repair. I am not thrilled about the idea of returning the gun to Remington/Marlin.

Anyone have experience with Remington's - Marlin repair work?

Gunfighter
    Member #

I bought a new xl7 and had problems with it. First problem I ordered the parts and fixed it myself then found another problem so I sent them the bolt out of my rifle for them to fix. The service both times was great. On the parts they sent to me I recieved them in about 4 days from the day I returned my bolt I recieved it back in less than 2 weeks fixed and working fine. So my dealings with marlin repair service have been super great and fast turnaround. I ordered the extractor and detent ball and spring to fix my first problem. They sent me 3 of each so I put 1 set in then returned the bolt because the ejector was missing also. I think they just replaced the whole bolt head and returned it. I only fired the rifle 3 shots before sending the bolt in but the one I sent in had some marks inside the bolt face that were not there when it came back. I think they just replaced the bolt head and returned it instead of putting a ejector in the original one. I am very pleased with their service and speed.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

.45-70 feed problems in Marlin 1895

I just bought a new Marlin 1895 and have shot 12 rounds through it on the 25 yd line for sight-in using the Hornady 325 gr FTXs . The groups were very tight. The only issue was the rounds did not chamber easily, some seeming to require too much force to chamber. I found this forum and registered hoping to get some new comments about this issue, and to offer my observations for your feedback. I believe there are two things causing the feed problem. The angle of the axis of the cartridge length relative to the barrel axis before entering the chamber is too great. The leading edge at the chamber bottom is burred, and because of the steep angle of the cartridge entering the chamber, the burr shaves off some brass if force is applied. The evidence of this can be seen on the brass and the chamber's bottom edge. On the brass, about .23 inches back from where the crimp is, shows where the brass was shaved off. To see this, rotate the brass under light reflection and magnification. The other evidence is the brass shavings on the bottom entrance of the chamber. I am no gun designer, but I believe if the cartridge's rear end could be raised up a little before entering the chamber, and the chamber deburred a little, the problem might go away. I haven't approached Marlin/Remington yet, but first wanted to see what my gun buddies had to say. I appreciate any feedback.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links