Roll Crimping with Hornady New Dimension dies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Roll Crimping with Hornady New Dimension dies

Tinhorn
    Member #

Roll Crimping with Hornady New Dimension dies

I can't seem to get anything more than the tiniest of crimps when I'm reloading the FTX 325. Is that how it's supposed to be? If I try to put much more of a crimp on (these are shortened cases to 2.040 as specified in Hornady's latest manual), the cases are getting crushed.

Also, I've got some MO Bullet Company 405 gr RNFP #1 Buff that should be arriving today. Is the crimp I'm seeing with the FTX going to be the same? If it is going to be the same, is that going to be enough for some hardcast lead?
    "If you can remember all of the guns you own, you don't have enough." -- Me

"Only accurate rifles are interesting." -- Col. Townsend Whelen

Contributing Member
    Member #
    sgt_zim, you need to "reset" your seating/crimping die. If you can't get it to crimp like you want it to(mine works just fine) worse case, purchase a Lee Factory Crimp die. The Hornady takes some fine tuning to get it right, a LITTLE adjustment goes a LONG way...quarter turns on the seating/crimp die is all it takes to get what you are looking for. You do need a good crimp since you are tube mag loading these, but you don't need anything excessive! It is extremely critical that you load a sized piece of brass in your press and lower the die till you feel it "touch" the brass, should be easy because there should be a slight "bell" to seat your bullet. If you don't have a "bell" in your brass, that could also be part of the problem. You may need a Lyman M die but ONLY if you can't get the "expander" die to create a bell that isn't too wide to fit in the bullet seat/crimp die. Fun stuff! NOT!
    Of course, once you get it set, you should be good to go!
    sgt_zim and Slugnut like this.
    Team - 444 Club Member #535
    Team - 450 Club Member # 128
    Team - 1894 Club Member #298 CB Ltd 45LC, CB Ltd 44mag X2, 1894P, Talo 45LC, 1894 Ltd CB 357Mag
    Team - 336 Club Member #474 Marlin 336CB 30-30, CB 38-55, 30-30 SRC, custom Marauder
    Team - 336-44 Club Member #16
    Team - 45-70 Club Member #1056 - 1895CB, ABL, GBL, SBL
    Team- 308MX
    Marlin League - Member # 153
    Team - 44-40 Club Member #32
    Marlin 39D .22
    Wheel Gun - Member #48
    Team - 375 Club Member #92 Marlin custom Maruader
    Marlin .410

Contributing Member
    Member #
    take it real easy on the cast bullets they should be a bit over sized anyway .460 and they should not really need crimping. Some say don't crimp with lead bullets others crimp lightly, me done both and don't see much measurable difference in accuracy.
    sgt_zim likes this.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gunfighter
    Member #
    brass length should not matter as long as all brass is trimmed to same length. it is just a matter of setting up die properly, follow directions and turn die down a little at a time to get max crimp before crushing case--- or ---easy fix. get a lee factory crimp die. Defective dies are extremely rare but not unheard of, Hornady seems to have outstanding quality control.
    sgt_zim likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mazer View Post
    sgt_zim, you need to "reset" your seating/crimping die. If you can't get it to crimp like you want it to(mine works just fine) worse case, purchase a Lee Factory Crimp die. The Hornady takes some fine tuning to get it right, a LITTLE adjustment goes a LONG way...quarter turns on the seating/crimp die is all it takes to get what you are looking for. You do need a good crimp since you are tube mag loading these, but you don't need anything excessive! It is extremely critical that you load a sized piece of brass in your press and lower the die till you feel it "touch" the brass, should be easy because there should be a slight "bell" to seat your bullet. If you don't have a "bell" in your brass, that could also be part of the problem. You may need a Lyman M die but ONLY if you can't get the "expander" die to create a bell that isn't too wide to fit in the bullet seat/crimp die. Fun stuff! NOT!
    Of course, once you get it set, you should be good to go!
    That brings up another question. How much of a bell do I create with my expander die? I'm opening the case mouth enough that when I drop a bullet in the empty brass, it JUST sits inside the case before I pull the ram on the press.

Also, my Hornady case trimmer...just doesn't get all of the cases trimmed to the same length. They're close, usually not more than about +/-.002". I know that that minor variance will affect crimping, but is it something I should really be paying attention to, or is the variance so small that crimping is largely unaffected?

Gunfighter
    Member #
    belling or expanding case mouth. when ram/shell holder is at upper most position expand exactly as you describe just enough to start bullet, excess expanding stretches/works brass so case life is decreased.
    As far as the FTX brass if it is shorter than standard, use it ONLY for the FTX loads. You will have excessive pressures trying standard loadings in shortened brass. The 405 grain cast bullets you ordered should be loaded in standard length brass. If you don't have a supply of brass on hand then I suggest ordering direct from Starline It arrives perfect no need to do anything to it but prime, expand, charge, seat and crimp bullet.
    brass length will have direct effect when roll crimping. It should all be the same. I dont have a hornady trimmer but if it is flexing that will cause problems. it may be a matter of bolting it securely to table or something more. If something more call hornady, they are usually very helpful. Lathe style trimmers are generally consistently accurate one set up properly. Might try the very inexpensive lee case trimmer, they are easy to use and will trim brass to exact length every time. Lee factory crimp die is the easy way out but they are most likely built to crimp full length brass. Lee is very good about making custom size stuff I'm sure you can order a FCD/factory crimp die for FTX brass from them. These collet style crimpers are simple to set up and use and make perfect crimp every time a foolproof way of making lever action safe ammo. Hope some of this helps. Just remember that every reloader has a bin under the table that the goof ups go into. Once you work out the bugs you get a feel for what works and stick with the routine that works for you.
    para72 and sgt_zim like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I believe that there is a lot of better bullets out there then the FTX, and you do not have to fool around shorting cases, I went down that road and do not think I gained a thing !!!!
    sgt_zim and JBledsoe like this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Update: loaded my first 25 leads. Tiny crimp. I should get right at 1600 fps. We'll know more on Sunday when I get up to the range.

'Cuz it's hog-slaughtering time next weekend!

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by shortwheels View Post
    I believe that there is a lot of better bullets out there then the FTX, and you do not have to fool around shorting cases, I went down that road and do not think I gained a thing !!!!
    Only reason I'm reloading them is because I bought a couple boxes of the FTX cartridges from the factory. I think when I'm done with them, I'll be done with them. The Hornadys were about $29, and the Remingtons were a little north of $40. That was all Gander had at the time and I was in a little bit of a hurry to get some ammo.

If I go back to jacketed, I'll probably go with Nosler's 300 gr.

Though I do have to say that I massacred some hogs with those FTX bullets. They do shoot true, too - shot a cloverleaf from 100 yards once I got my scope zeroed. I got no complaints, except for the pain in the backside of fooling with short brass and keeping them segregated from the regular length stuff.
    Goldtrigger likes this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by sgt_zim View Post
    Only reason I'm reloading them is because I bought a couple boxes of the FTX cartridges from the factory. I think when I'm done with them, I'll be done with them. The Hornadys were about $29, and the Remingtons were a little north of $40. That was all Gander had at the time and I was in a little bit of a hurry to get some ammo.

If I go back to jacketed, I'll probably go with Nosler's 300 gr.

Though I do have to say that I massacred some hogs with those FTX bullets. They do shoot true, too - shot a cloverleaf from 100 yards once I got my scope zeroed. I got no complaints, except for the pain in the backside of fooling with short brass and keeping them segregated from the regular length stuff.
    Have a look at your local Walmart. Mine has Winchester Super X 300 grn JHP 45-70 for 36.00 bux tax and all out the door...it's what I've been doing until I get my reloader up & running. And have lots of Winchester brass after firing them as time goes by.

I have been buying it @ a box a month for almost 3 years now at Walmart.
    sgt_zim and Mt Cowboy like this.
    My avatar is in Honor of my Great Grandfather , Corporal J.M. Johnston , who fought for the N.C. Confederate 36th Regiment , Company H , Heavy Artillery & who was captured by the Union at Fort Fisher, NC on Sunday, Jan. 15 1865 at @ 10:00PM.

In Dixie Land I'll Take My Stand , To Live And Die in Dixie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links