Roll Crimping with Hornady New Dimension dies - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Roll Crimping with Hornady New Dimension dies

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MarlinManCB45/70 View Post
    Have a look at your local Walmart. Mine has Winchester Super X 300 grn JHP 45-70 for 36.00 bux tax and all out the door...it's what I've been doing until I get my reloader up & running. And have lots of Winchester brass after firing them as time goes by.

I have been buying it @ a box a month for almost 3 years now at Walmart.
    I'm getting my 405 gr lead for 24 cents a pop, starline brass for 54 cents a pop, primers for about 2-3 cents each, and about 19 cents worth of powder per cartridge. Until I go to Alaska and Africa, I won't be buying any more factory ammo for it.
    Goldtrigger likes this.
    "If you can remember all of the guns you own, you don't have enough." -- Me

"Only accurate rifles are interesting." -- Col. Townsend Whelen

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Just a suggestion....I load both the Hornady AND regular length brass for other bullets. Depends on what I am doing and the ranges I plan to shoot. I would a suggestion, load up a LOT of the Hornady FTX, use of ALL of the short brass you have for it. Load them for hunting only, which means max load. Say what you will about the FTX, but it is VERY accurate due to the better Ballistic Coefficient than round or flat nosed bullets especially when stretching out the range. I zero mine at 225yds and at 2100fps or so it gets there quickly! I also load Bear Tooth Bullet 425gr Piledrivers and multiple other types of bullets....I have Nosler Ballistic tip 300gr, a LOT of different cast "plain base" bullets of various weights from 250gr-550gr. So enjoy trying other bullets, but I'd recommend ONE other thing! If you are trimming brass to the short Hornady brass, buy some regular Hornady brass (since you can't buy the shortened FTX brass) and trim those, and ONLY use the Hornady brass for the FTX bullets, save the starline for the other loads you may want to do! Saves you a lot of sorting!
    Also, you are doing fine with the belling as was already mentioned, the trick is getting the bullet seater/crimp die into the proper position, that is why some folks like to use that die as a SEATER ONLY and purchase a Lee Factory Crimp die to do that step.
    Let us know how you make out!
    Cheers!
    Mazer
    sgt_zim likes this.
    Team - 444 Club Member #535
    Team - 450 Club Member # 128
    Team - 1894 Club Member #298 CB Ltd 45LC, CB Ltd 44mag X2, 1894P, Talo 45LC, 1894 Ltd CB 357Mag
    Team - 336 Club Member #474 Marlin 336CB 30-30, CB 38-55, 30-30 SRC, custom Marauder
    Team - 336-44 Club Member #16
    Team - 45-70 Club Member #1056 - 1895CB, ABL, GBL, SBL
    Team- 308MX
    Marlin League - Member # 153
    Team - 44-40 Club Member #32
    Marlin 39D .22
    Wheel Gun - Member #48
    Team - 375 Club Member #92 Marlin custom Maruader
    Marlin .410

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mazer View Post
    Just a suggestion....I load both the Hornady AND regular length brass for other bullets. Depends on what I am doing and the ranges I plan to shoot. I would a suggestion, load up a LOT of the Hornady FTX, use of ALL of the short brass you have for it. Load them for hunting only, which means max load. Say what you will about the FTX, but it is VERY accurate due to the better Ballistic Coefficient than round or flat nosed bullets especially when stretching out the range. I zero mine at 225yds and at 2100fps or so it gets there quickly! I also load Bear Tooth Bullet 425gr Piledrivers and multiple other types of bullets....I have Nosler Ballistic tip 300gr, a LOT of different cast "plain base" bullets of various weights from 250gr-550gr. So enjoy trying other bullets, but I'd recommend ONE other thing! If you are trimming brass to the short Hornady brass, buy some regular Hornady brass (since you can't buy the shortened FTX brass) and trim those, and ONLY use the Hornady brass for the FTX bullets, save the starline for the other loads you may want to do! Saves you a lot of sorting!
    Also, you are doing fine with the belling as was already mentioned, the trick is getting the bullet seater/crimp die into the proper position, that is why some folks like to use that die as a SEATER ONLY and purchase a Lee Factory Crimp die to do that step.
    Let us know how you make out!
    Cheers!
    Mazer
    I have a 6.5x55 Swedish for the longer range stuff.

Reloading for it presents similar challenges to the 45-70. Most of the published data is for the old K96 Mausers and Krag-Jorgensens.

And all you have to do to realize what the potential is for the 6.5.x55 Swedish (in a modern, sporting rifle like a Tikka or Sako) is compare load data for it to load data for 260 Rem and 6.5 CM, looking ONLY at the pressures to get an idea of where you can go with it. Tikka in particular uses the same receiver for all of their rifles, so the pressures generated by a 260 or 6.5 CM can be approached ***cautiously*** with the 6.5x55 SE loads.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

GH1
    Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I load MO Cast 405's in LE brass using the Hornady dies with no problem. They're good bullets
    GH1
    sgt_zim likes this.
    I owe my life to an organ donor.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I do have a more general question about reloading lead.

I know it's a really bad idea to compare powder loads for jacketed bullets, but does the same rule apply with lead?

All of Lyman's cast reloading data is for bullets cast with their casting tools.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Lyman cast loads are very conservative. Spending a little time with the folks over at castboolits and you will find that gas checked boolits can be pushed to the same velocity and accuracy as jacketed bullets in many calibers. I believe NOE is a sponsor to this site and he has some outstanding molds and information and there is good info from Ranch Dog load notes as well. You will find that Lyman's cast bullet book has additional data however I have found it good as a reference but much of the best info is online in this day and age. There are absolute experts online, one that comes to mind is Larry Gibson who does testing with what I guess is state of the art pressure analyzing gear with new powders and bullet designs and more.
    sgt_zim likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    So...41 gr of RL7 seems to be the best load for these, at least as far as tolerable recoil, which is significant even at that velocity/pressure. I really need to get a limbsaver.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links