+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tenderfoot
    Member #

gas check for 45-70

Hi all, this maybe a stupid question, but does to standard 45 cal gas check work with the 45-70 bullet?
    I'm thinking about using gas checks on my 405 gr. bullets, to reduce leading. I am now at 1740 fps, and there is a little lead after 20 or so rounds. Does anyone here use gas check bullets in there 45-70?
    \Of al, the guns I load for this one seems to want me to keep pushing it to the limit.
    Thanks all.
    Randy

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Re: gas check for 45-70

Yes, 45cal GC will work on .458 (45/70) bullets.
    Canadian outdoorsman.

Really Short Fuse Administrator
    Edmond, Oklahoma - That's just North of the Red River Team .444 Charter Member
    Member #

Is the shank on your boolits made to accept gas checks?
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/
    MO Member #77

Tenderfoot
    Member #

VTDW- My bullet is not made for it, I will need to turn it in my lathe to make it fit. Is there a 405 grain bullet mold out there that takes a gas check, that will work in the Marlin lever action?

Really Short Fuse Administrator
    Edmond, Oklahoma - That's just North of the Red River Team .444 Charter Member
    Member #

I can't answer your question but have fun turning. I cannot believe I sold my lathe and my mill.
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/
    MO Member #77

Site Contributor Deadeye
    Member #

There are lots of moulds that make bullets that accept gas checks. I would buy or borrow one before turning down bullets. Too much pia in my opinion.
    Proper fit in throat area is the one most important factor in reducing leading. So it would be a good thing to slug the throat and bore before buying a new mould, if you have the capabilities. Cerrosafe is available at reloading supply companies and works well.
    If you don't want to fool with that, then try to shoot the bullets as large as possible. I would start with sizing die of .460 for a lubrisizer when you are putting on gas checks and lubing.
    At over 1700fps, you are pushing the high end and I am not surprised you are getting leading. What alloy are you using, and are you quenching?
    If you drop into bucket of water from mould, it'll get a good bit harder than air cooling them. That'll help if you are pushing them fast.
    I guess I am at opposite end of scale, I like to shoot them as they come out of mould, unsized, and only push them 1200fps or so. They are "polite" to shoot.
    Dan
    www.massonknives.com

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Hi OCONEEDAN, I normally shoot at lower velocities, but I'm going to use the gun on my moose hunting trip this year and want to get all I can out of her. I do oven heat treat the bullets now and it helps, I am using an alloy of 9 lbs ww, and 1 lbs of tin. I would like to get some lino but can't get any at a fear price.
    Is there anywhere you can buy gas check that you do not need to buy 1000, my poor body would not stand up to 1000 hot 45-70's . I think some of my problem is the lube I used, I tried some that I got on e-bay, the next ones I try will be Lyman lube for high vel. One last thing, I'm not looking forward to turning down the bullets but I can't find a mold for a 405 gr. RFN that takes a gas check. The next time I cast I will try the .460" and see how it works. The amount of leading I'm getting is very little, but I would like to get no lead. Any idea what the top speed would be for a 405 gr. cast in a marlin guide gun?
    Thanks agains, it's great when you get feed back with great info.

45l
    Deadeye
    Member #

The rcbs 405GC is made for leverguns and has a proven track record.I've been shooting the rcbs 300GC and it is very accurate.The saeco 350GC is made for leverguns also.My 300GC actually comes out to 324 grains with my alloy.One half pound tin to 20 pounds WW.If your mixing in more than two and a half percent tin your wasting it from what I've read.More than that doesn't help fill out any better.I use 5744 with Plain base bullets and get very good accuracy and no leading.

Site Contributor Deadeye
    Member #

451 has some very good info here. And I, too, like to use 5744.
    There are LOTS of moulds made for gas checks, and the RCBS 405 that he mentioned is highly regarded.
    I don't think you can buy fewer than 1000gc at a time unless you can find someone who will sell you less.
    My thoughts on leading with hunting load....why worry about it? If this is not your normal plinker load, and you are only preparing for a single moose hunt, then it is easier to deal with the leading than work up a new load and buy a new mould.
    I have a Ruger 44 mag Super Blackhawk handgun. I am shooing a 310gr flat nose bullet out of it at around 1175fps. Stout load but not blazing fast. I have had great success using pure lead in it for hunting only. Does it lead the barrel? Sure it does. But I practice with harder cast bullets and only use the pure lead for hunting, so it doesn't matter. How much leading can you have with 5 shots or so?
    So in short, you can clean every 20 rounds much easier than working up new load.
    Now, if you live where you can go moose/bear hunting often, then that is different and you want to find something you can live with.
    You may also want to try a jacketed bullet for this hunt, and go back to cast later. Can't believe I said that.
    www.massonknives.com

Sidewinder
    Member #

I load a Ranch dog 350 gr. FP with gas check and have been pushing it almost to 2000 fps with no leading, I use straight WW lead and air cool them since i want them soft enough to expand and create a larger wound on big game. I now load that bullet at 1700-1800 fps as that velocity will take care of anything I may wish to shoot including bison.
    I have to agree with the post concerning why worry about a little leading for one hunt, you are going to use very few bullets on the moose and you seem to have a very good hunting load already. As for the tin, 2% max is all you need for good fill out in the mold.
    If you are using a .458 sizing die, try a 459 or 460 and your leading problems may just go away with you present load. I am using a .459 sizing die on the RD cast bullets.
    That 405 gr. cast bullet at 1700 fps should go all the way though a moose on a broadside shot.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links