Brinell Harness vs Animal.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Brinell Harness vs Animal.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Brinell Harness vs Animal.

I looked around and did not see exactly what I was looking for so I am asking here. I just bought some Missouri Bullets 405 grain cast lead bullets of 18BH. I notice on the box it says for large buffalo! So, I also notice that the HSM Bear Load is 430 grains with a 15BH.

I intend to load these 405 grain bullets to about 1200, maybe 1400 fps range for hog and deer. I was also trying to get a hard cast bullet with some assumption, perhaps wrong, that barrel leading would be reduced by greater hardness of the bullet.

I guess I am trying to understand the relationship between Brinell hardness and barrel leading and as well selection for game?

Of course, if a "large buffalo" or giant bear happens by I guess I will have a new rug! (just kidding)

J
    Last edited by 3crows; 02-16-2017 at 07:39 PM.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    If it punches a hole in the critter and it dies where it should BH does not matter. To much OCD in this shooting world at times.
    I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees.....μολὼν λαβέ

There is not one person I would not take hunting......there are a few that would not make it back though.

Team 45/70 Member # 237
    Team Old Pharts #294
    Team 22 Magnum #106
    Team 35 Remington #671
    Team Rem 700 #19
    Team Semi-Auto #4
    Team Wheelgun #6

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Leading is more about fit than speed. If it fits correctly, 15 bhn should turn 1600 easy. I run 1800 in the smaller calibers with no problems.
    444,35,45 colt.,357,30-30
    Jim
    God Bless
    Bitzi Zha

Team 30-30 #975 ,Team 32 Special #95 ,Marlin League #174 ,Team Browning #15 ,Team 35 #536 ,Team 1894 #386
    Team 444 # 659 ,Team Old Pharts 232 ,Team Camp , Team Henry #61

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by elkhunter76 View Post
    If it punches a hole in the critter and it dies where it should BH does not matter. To much OCD in this shooting world at times.
    yep. they die everytime!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Lyman has a good book on casting, loading and hunting lead bullets. There are several chapters on the effect of alloy make up, and Bnh hardness on bullet upset or lack there of compared to common jacketed soft points. Properly done a lead bullet can be made to behave like a quality softpoint, or a FMJ. A very good read.
    msharley, kobeinu, Ret_Eng and 3 others like this.
    "Should have put more dirt down, saw it right off." Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 3crows View Post
    I looked around and did not see exactly what I was looking for so I am asking here. I just bought some Missouri Bullets 405 grain cast lead bullets of 18BH. I notice on the box it says for large buffalo! So, I also notice that the HSM Bear Load is 430 grains with a 15BH.

I intend to load these 405 grain bullets to about 1200, maybe 1400 fps range for hog and deer. I was also trying to get a hard cast bullet with some assumption, perhaps wrong, that barrel leading would be reduced by greater hardness of the bullet.

I guess I am trying to understand the relationship between Brinell hardness and barrel leading and as well selection for game?

Of course, if a "large buffalo" or giant bear happens by I guess I will have a new rug! (just kidding)

J

Hey J,

Forget about leading. If you have a good "fit"....Mike the bullets when they come. Should be .4595" or .460" (I know, they are advertised as .459", but .45 caliber bullets tend to "spring back")

If there is good lube on them, and they fit your barrel, no problem with leading.

You do want as wide a metplat as possible, for good cast bullet hunting. Such as these ones....

Later, Mark
    3crows, cthulhufan, Owen49 and 3 others like this.
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E Lee.

Marlinitis Symptoms: More Daily!

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.............

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    If I was out hunting a large Grizzly or Buffalo I would use a bullet with a BHN between 11 and 18
    If I was carrying my 45-70 for grizzly defense, I would want the BHN into the mid 20's (I would make sure that it was still "Tough" and not "brittle")
    The reason is, you want a bullet to expand when you hit them with a broad side shot but you want your bullet to act like a solid for a head or shoulder shot if your trying to stop a charging animal.

either of those bullets you choose will get the job done..

Doc
    "It appears as though my hypocrisy knows no bounds"

Lord, make me fast and accurate, let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who seek to destroy me, grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine, let not my last thought be - 'If I only had my gun'- and Lord if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in a pile of warm brass,
    Amen

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    If I was out hunting a large Grizzly or Buffalo I would use a bullet with a BHN between 11 and 18
    If I was carrying my 45-70 for grizzly defense, I would want the BHN into the mid 20's (I would make sure that it was still "Tough" and not "brittle")
    The reason is, you want a bullet to expand when you hit them with a broad side shot but you want your bullet to act like a solid for a head or shoulder shot if your trying to stop a charging animal.

Doc
    I visited the spring (swimming hole) that local legend had it that resulted in Doc Holiday having to eventually leave Georgia, used to live nearby.

Well, I chose these bullets in my original post for, as I said, deer and hog and only noticed it said on the box for "large buffalo" thus part of my original question. I did not buy then with the intention of use against large dangerous animals or large buffalo, with maximum power loads. But I guess they will work for deer and hog as I am sure they will put a hole in such a critter even at cowboy+ loads.

I want to shoot my SBL at cowboy+ levels, for deer and hog inside 100 yards, which to me is a 405 grain bullet above enough powder to get to 1,200 FPM from my 18.5 inch barrel.

I have that Lyman book referenced in one of the posts, it is boxed away somewhere, have not read it in like 30 years. Maybe I should start looking for it.

I am sure you guys will not agree but when the day comes that I need my SBL for defense while exploring the back country, I will buy a factory load from HSM or BB etc., test a few from each box and hope not to need to use them.

J
    Last edited by 3crows; 02-16-2017 at 10:32 PM.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Hey J,

13.0 to 14.0gr of Unique will get you 1150 fps with a 405gr LFP. A bit over 1200fps with a 350gr LFP.

Zippo on the recoil.

Look here Lever Gun Performance Studies

24 to 25gr of 2400 will help you out.

The #2 alloy is 1:20 tin:lead.

The Keith alloy is 1:16.....tin:lead.

Hope this helps.

Later, Mark
    mick l and Victor N TN like this.
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E Lee.

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.............

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post

Doc

Hey Doc,

Glad to see you posting.

How are you feeling? Getting any rest.......after the move?

Later, Mark
    Estacado likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links