+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sidewinder
    Member #

.45-70 revolver?

So i am looking for a new pistol.

The other night i was doing some window shopping on Gun Broker for a revolver. Looking at Different Calibers, Different Styles,
    and thinking to my self what should I buy?

Then it Hit me! ( ya know that tingly feeling in the base of your brain that you know will get you in trouble with the wife!)

I should get a .45-70 Revolver!!

Here is my attempt at Reasoning with her.

1. No one else around here has one

2. I could hunt with it.

3. It uses the same ammo as my Rifle.

4. Its not That Expensive. ( as long as she doesn't find the receipt)

Anyways does anyone have any experience with this round in revolver form?

I did some looking for loads but being relatively new to reloading I get confused easily.

What loads would I want to use in a new revolver chambered this way.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

Thanks!!

Gunfighter
    Member #

Re: .45-70 revolver?

There was an episode of Guns & Ammo TV I think it was with a rather petite woman shown shooting the BFR 45-70 revolver and she handled it fine. I believe it weighs about 4 1/2 # or so. A pretty heavy duty revolver for sure. I'd shoot it but not sure I'd want to carry it afield. Concealed carry for a giant

Be safe
    Patty
    quote: "It is always preferable to be the stomper than the stompee"

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I don't own a 45/70 revolver but I would think a well built revolver chambered in 45/70 would handle about any commercial load made for the 45/70 Marlin. Take at look here: http://www.magnumresearch.com/BFR.asp

Member #

Magnum Research Inc's BFR, "Biggest Finest Revolver" (yea, right ), is chambered for the 45-70.  It is also chambered in 450 Marlin and 500 S&W, which operate at much higher pressures than standard 45-70's.  I would then assume it would be able to handle higher pressure 45-70 loads as well, a least as potent as the Marlin 1895.  The 4lb weight of this revolver and the recoil generated by stout 400+ grain loads would be the limiting factor in my opinion. 

Sounds like a neat idea.  Everyone has a companion revolver for their .357 or .44 1894.  Bet there ain't many who have a 45-70 combo!   Get one and let us know.

Roe 
    http://starspangledbannerchallenge.com/

"I never gave anybody hell. I just told the truth and they thought it was hell."
    Harry S. Truman

Site Contributor Marlin Marksman
    Member #

I have shot a 45/70 revolver and thought it was pretty gimmicky. Was heavy and threw unburnt powder all over the place was like a mini dust storm in front of the revolver, there is a reason they have pistol and rifle powders.
    "At 50, every man has the face he deserves." - George Orwell

Member #

The 45/70 BFR is heavy for most of us but it's no gimmick. From what I've read it is a great shooter with fairly mild recoil compared to the 454 Rugers. I haven't read about any powder burning issues with the BFR and commercial ammo. I suspect most will reload for this caliber and there are probably several powder types that wonít burn properly or as clean as others will. Itís one big *ucking revolver that will definitely compliment any Marlin 45/70 in a hunting camp. Check out the factoids in the Magnum Research website about the 45/70.

Sidewinder
    Member #

The BFR is the one I have been looking at.

I did read their website and it sure looks like a well built gun that should be able to handle a load.
    I always like to get a second opinion from others on items such as this though. (companies always advertise their item is great).

I have shot the .460 Smith & Wesson quite a bit and the recoil is not too bad at all.

I think this Christmas I will be buying myself a new Play toy.

Site Contributor Marlin Marksman
    Member #

The BFR was not the one I shot and it definately looks to be superior in quality, I think the one I shot was a "Thunder 5" but I don't know how you would avoid the unburnt powder issue if you are shooting rifle loads out of it.
    "At 50, every man has the face he deserves." - George Orwell

Member #

I have a BFR 500 JRH from their "custom" shop, as it's currently not a "standard" caliber for them. My revolver is very well made and the attention to detail is second to none. IMHO the BFR is a "custom" revolver without the custom price tag. The price does move up a notch when you have their Precision Center unit customize it for you but it's still cheaper than most other quality custom gunsmiths or custom firearms. I'm very happy with mine and if you do get one I think you'll be very happy with the craftsmanship. Bud's Gun's had the best prices on BFR's a while back - not sure as to right now but give them a look when you're shopping around.

Distinguished Master
    Member #

I have a BFR 45-70 Revolver with a 7.5" barrel.My Guide Gun loads run about 250-300 fps more than in the BFR.In 39 degree temps,Garretts 420 grain +P Hammerheads clocked 1560 fps out of the BFR and my 525 grain BTB cast that clocks 1515 fps in the Guide Gun clocked 1300 fps in the BFR.

A great revolver and I highly recommend it.The only bad thing about the BFR are the hard rubber grips but one great grip company has one in the works just for the BFR.

Jayco
    Howdy Boys.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links