would you thread your JM barrel - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: would you thread your JM barrel

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I am not an expert gun smith but just want to ask if you are going to spend the money and get it done why not purchase a non JM barrel and store the JM barrel for future use and or sales. My thought is you would get the best of both worlds as you could have the threaded barrel and still have the JM barrel which would only increase the value of the firearm even to a purest.
    Team 45/70 #1724
    Team Henery #42
    Team 1894. #459
    Team 39 patiently waiting
    Team Camp 9/45 patiently waiting

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdog View Post
    In my humble opinion i just don't see the connection of a suppressor and a lever gun period,,,,add in if its a JM Marlin all i think you do is devalue the gun and make it a white elephant.Perhaps I'm a purist but i really can't see the connection with lever guns and surprisers,,,,,but like others have said,,,its your gun do what you want with it.

I feel the same way. I would never ever suppress a Lever Gun or modify a JM barrel on top of that. Why do people feel they have to TACTICOOL everything. Lever guns are a thing of Beauty, Elegance, History, etc.
    turbobug likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DeoVindice View Post
    Yes, definitely. It's your rifle and threading it does not hamper its function whatsoever.
    I agree. Yours to do with what you want.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    No

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Member #
    YES !.......
    Well if I was crazy enough to put a scope on my levergun

I will never wear my JM bores out and I ain't selling nuttin... so if I did it I would live with it.

UH... NO ! WAIT... I mean if I had a ported JM barrel then I might have to re consider
    Blaine and kingstrider like this.
    "I think myself that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious." - Thomas Jefferson, Letter to William Ludlow, September 6, 1824

team 45/70 #244, team Browning #40

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
    I feel the same way. I would never ever suppress a Lever Gun or modify a JM barrel on top of that. Why do people feel they have to TACTICOOL everything. Lever guns are a thing of Beauty, Elegance, History, etc.
    Well, I do own and I will soon own quite a few more suppressors once they clear ATF. I currenlty hunt wild pig and whitetail with a couple of them. Theres nothing tacticool about preserving your hearing. And I hunt alot. Lever guns are beautiful and putting a thread on a barrel and a removable suppressor doesnt subtract. I can put a thread protector on the thread job if I want to be elegant and beautiful. Anyway. My guns arent safe queens. I use them. Most of my inherited rifles are well used and I wouldnt sell them because they have family memory value. Reason I ask about threading is to see opinions. I have a pre 1964 winchester 270 and I wouldnt thread it. I love it as is. I just dont know about the Marlin, so thats why I asked. Suppressors arent everyones cup of tea but once you try one, you want one on all your rifles. Cuts muzzle blast, recoil, sound signature and doesnt subtract accuracy on my precision rifles. In fact, they add to.
    kingstrider and M700 like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    ... (so i had another thought ?)....

Since 1,200 fps is about 818 mph... CAN I JUST USE DUCT TAPE
    "I think myself that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious." - Thomas Jefferson, Letter to William Ludlow, September 6, 1824

team 45/70 #244, team Browning #40

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Delirious View Post
    Well, I do own and I will soon own quite a few more suppressors once they clear ATF. I currenlty hunt wild pig and whitetail with a couple of them. Theres nothing tacticool about preserving your hearing. And I hunt alot. Lever guns are beautiful and putting a thread on a barrel and a removable suppressor doesnt subtract. I can put a thread protector on the thread job if I want to be elegant and beautiful. Anyway. My guns arent safe queens. I use them. Most of my inherited rifles are well used and I wouldnt sell them because they have family memory value. Reason I ask about threading is to see opinions. I have a pre 1964 winchester 270 and I wouldnt thread it. I love it as is. I just dont know about the Marlin, so thats why I asked. Suppressors arent everyones cup of tea but once you try one, you want one on all your rifles. Cuts muzzle blast, recoil, sound signature and doesnt subtract accuracy on my precision rifles. In fact, they add to.
    Obviously you get it but for those that are not into NFA stuff, they probably never will. You hit a nerve with this one and some guys get their nose out of joint every time the subject of scoping a lever action comes up too...

Since you mentioned it, I actually bought one of the Remlin 1895s on clearance at walmart when they were $299 before the $50 rebate. I briefly thought of using that gun for my host but wound up selling it because of continued negative reviews on metal quality and questionable longevity. Simply put, I was not willing to spend the cost of gunsmithing on something that may not hold up over the long haul.

Anyway I would like to see your project once you get started. If you need a good machine shop I know one that specializes in class 3 stuff that has decent pricing. At this point I am waiting on 7 more stamps with plans to submit one more for another SBR. Some should start trickling in the next couple weeks so I will be bringing 2017 in with a bang. Oh wait, not really, it will actually be more of a low sounding thump...
    Delirious and M700 like this.
    Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Me no. But it is your rifle, just think about it and if you are going to leave it to anyone. Enjoy, might be very cool.

Deadeye
    Member #
    I am in the process having a Remlin 1895 guide gun barrel chopped to 16.25" and threaded for a can. I am using a Remlin barrel because I bought it cheap, if I had found a cheap JM barrel I would have went that route. Once this project is up and running I will post results.

BB
    M700 likes this.
    444 - Member# 638
    45-70 - Member#
    375 WIN - Member# 4
    35 Rem - Member# 578

Please forgive me, I bought a Remlin and I like it.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links