Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Who here has taken game with their 45-70> ((Hunting Photos, GRAPHIC))

12K views 64 replies 34 participants last post by  Mannheim Bob 
#1 ·
We all love the 45-70. We all love marlin. We all the Marlins line of 45-70 rifles. We all love hunting, who wants to share success photos of their taken game and their wonderful rifle that did it! (Hunting Photos may be Graphic. ::) ))

#2 ·
DeerK said:
We all love the 45-70. We all love marlin. We all the Marlins line of 45-70 rifles. We all love hunting, who wants to share success photos of their taken game and their wonderful rifle that did it! (Hunting Photos may be Graphic. ::) ))
I have most of them up some place here.Here they are again sorry !

thats some.

#3 ·
I've taken a few deer, bears and moose with my Marlin 1895G. It wears a 2-7 leupold compact scope and quick release levers incase it gets damaged. For small game its also taken a rabbit, (got the hindquarters :eek: ;D) a racoon and made a mess of a grouse, 3/4 edible breast. All game was taken with a 350grain Hroandy rn and fn @ 1900fps crono'd from my gun. Always two holes, thumb size in and out.

Cheers

Seabass

#5 ·
Here is one of 2 small deer I shot this year with a 45-70.

#6 ·
5 point in Michigan's U.P. My brother's in in background (shot with a 336). Hit him at 100 yards quartering away. He was stopped and looking back at me. I hit him high to keep from ruining meat. His back feet flipped in the air and he flopped. It looked like someone grabbed his head and whipped him to the ground. 2 big holes. Used a Speer 400gr with max charge of W748 powder.

#10 ·
I shot a pig last year with my 45-70, didnt take any pictures though. It was actually my neighbors barbecue dinner that got loose and he was chasing it around with a 22 revolver. I dont know how many times he had shot that thing by the time I got there but it didnt last long after the 45-70 talked to it. My neighbors were just happy they didnt have to chase it any more :D.

#11 ·
Sorry I have no pics to post ,but last year believe it or not I dropped two deer with one shot from my guide gun. One spike and a doe, It was purley a rare lucky shot. The year before that I shot a large sow that weighed close to 300lbs. It's a shame to say that I've had my guide gun for almost 5 years but just started hunting with it a couple years ago.

#13 ·
d4570,

I love those pictures, especially the second one down, caught at the moment of the kill. What kind of critter is ... uh ... was it?

#14 ·
One mule deer doe with the .45/70 & 405 Remington. Impressive results on target. No photo. :mad:

The Marlin has been fun to shoot, but not exactly my most successful rifle in the field... I've done better with my muzzle loader. Starting to think of it as the Bad Luck Gun.

#21 ·
Don't have any pics but took a coyote and a seven point with a Ruger No.1 in 45-70 about 8 or 9 years ago. Yote was at about 30 yards and the buck was at about 80 or so. The buck was facing me and the slug went in the center of his chest, out the belly and then almost cut one of his back legs in two. He just sat down like a dog and fell over. Also took a doe broadside at about 50 yards with a super 14 Contender in that caliber. Seems like I was shooting handloads with a 300 or 350 grain bullet. Those old 45-70's will kick some major butt.

#22 ·
I am very blessed to live in Mississippi and be able to shoot large numbers of deer every year. This year I hunted mostly with my 1885 Winchester. I used 300gr Barnes SSP and 300gr Hornady HPs. Both of these bullets perform as good as anyone could ask. Doing some crop damage control with a permit; I shot over 20 deer with my 45-70. Both bullets are great to 250yds. Over that, holdover is more guessing than precision. When the hunting season started proper; I killed my 3 bucks with the 1885 as well as several more does. The best thing to happen here was the (stupid) primitive weapons laws that went into effect a couple of years ago. The run on 45-70s was unbelievable. People who hunt mostly in thick stuff and not in fields have put their small caliber guns down and hunt all season with their 45-70. I have fallen in love with mine. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.