+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1895 Rifling

Tinhorn
    Member #

1895 Rifling

Am considering a Model 1895 straight stock, no checkering, 4 shot mag tube, curved butt plate, 22 in. built in 1975. I don't have physical access to the gun and can't find any info on weather these were micro-groove or ballard rifling. Since I only shoot lead this is an issue. Appreciate any information.
    Thanks

Wrangler
    Member #

Re: 1895 Rifling

Chance

Read this http://www.leverguns.com/articles/fr...in_history.htm and you will see that micro groove rifling can shoot cast bullets and quite well.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Thanks Montanan.
    I have read over and over about there being no accuracy difference between the rifling styles but the same old song pops into my head at the mere mention of micro-groove. Heck, I even have an older 1894 .44 Mag with micro-groove, and sure enough it's as accurate as the other 3 with ballard.

Since I still can't find a guide gun, may just go with this one. Iff'n I can get it that is.

Deadeye
    Member #

Shoot the right sized bullet and I think you'll be pleased with the accuracy no matter what type of rifling it has.
    Steven

Tinhorn
    Member #

Thanks Steven, I do understand that. I should have been more specific:

Does anyone know of any resources on the net that lists the actual dates that would give meaning to terms such as "early new model 1895 Marlins", "later mfg", "early guns", "more recently mfg models", etc, etc? While manufactures such as Ruger and others break down their models, and variations, by serial #, I have not been able to find anything from Marlin with that type of specific information.

Above quoted terms are from Fjestads Blue Book.

Wrangler
    Member #

Chance was this what your looking for?

http://armscollectors.com/sn/marlinlookup.php

Sidewinder
    Member #

If I remember correctly, those 22" barreled, straight-gripped 1895 Marlin 45-70's from the 1970's production run were 8 groove rifling.  I also seem to remember coming across a reference that those barrels were made by Green Mountain Rifle Barrels from New Hampshire. They were not "micro-groove."  Those 8 groove barrels were known to be very accurate.  Green Mountain makes top grade muzzle loading rifles today. 

I came across a rifle in that configuration about 5 years ago for $350 dollars, and decided to pass on it.  I thought better of it, and decided to pick it up after work that same day.  You know the end of the story, it was gone.

FYI: Green Mountain also made the barrels for the NEF single shot rifles.  They shot extremely well.  I had this confirmed by both NEF and Green Mountain before I bought the Wesson and Harrington 45-70 Buffalo Classic rifle.  I don't think Green Mountain makes the barrels for those NEF rifles now, since Marlin purchased NEF-but I could be wrong on that last bit of info.  My mind is like a steel trap-it's old and rusty.
    Free advice is worth what you've paid for it.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Chance,

I don't know if this will be of any help to you but here goes.

I have an 1895 manufactured in 1972. She has 8 grove Ballard rifling. Also, according to a sticky somewhere on this board which escapes me at the moment, the first couple of years production used Douglas barrels. If anyone has positive proof that the barrels were or were not Douglas I would very much appreciate seeing it. I intend to pass this particular rifle on to my son and hopefully he will do the same. I would like to have as much verifiable information as possible to give him with the rifle.

Good shooting.
    Just because you\\\'re paranoid, it doesn\\\'t mean they\\\'re not really after you!

Sidewinder
    Member #

Your post jogged my memory.

I think you're right. I think those 8 groove barrels WERE made by Douglas barrels, and not Green Mountain Barrels for those early runs of that configuration. I will stand by the Green Mountain barrels for the NEF rifles (at least they supplied the barrels for some time).

I told you, my mind was like a steel trap... :-)
    Free advice is worth what you've paid for it.

Sidewinder
    Member #

I use the 'puter at work, but just a few weeks ago I read in one of the Wolfe Publishing mags ( Rifle? Handloader?) that the first batch of the "new" 1895's made in 1972 had conventional rifling. I think they had a "B O" ( "bee zero" ) serial prefix. The later ones of that year began the micro-groove barrels, even though the barrels were not, at first, marked "micro-groove". I don't think any mention was made about the source of the barrels, though. Hope this helps a bit.
    Mark
    Gotta Love Them Marlins!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links