+ Reply to Thread

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Barrel length laws in Canada ?

Hey all, I joined recently, I have been surfing here for the past couple weeks, lots of great info here. I have a quick question. I recently purchased a 1895 with the 22" barrel that I has an XS sout mount and a leupold scope. I will be having the barrel cut down to 18.5", ( I like the pistol grip, but want the guide gun length) if I can. The question is I bought this gun for bear hunting in Ontario, Canada. But looking at the regs it looks to me like 18.5" is the minimum length, but I am not sure. Is anyone here versed on Canadian laws regarding this subject. Thanks in advance for your help.
    b]Curt
    NRA Life Member[/b]

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Here is a link to the Canada Firearms Centre

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/faq/default_e.asp#a3

In this page you can find a reference to two barrel lengths, 470mm (~18.5") and 457mm (~18") being minimum, here is the section. There may be more laws regarding this but this is all I found in a quick search.

"Q. What are the different classes of firearms?

There are three classes of firearms: non-restricted, restricted and prohibited.

Non-restricted firearms are ordinary rifles and shotguns, other than those referred to below.

Restricted firearms include:

- handguns that are not prohibited;

- semi-automatic, centre-fire rifles and shotguns with a barrel shorter than 470 mm (about 18.5 inches);

- rifles and shotguns that can be fired when their overall length has been reduced by folding, telescoping or other means to less than 660 mm (about 26 inches); and

- firearms restricted by Criminal Code Regulations.

Prohibited firearms include:

- handguns with a barrel length of 105 mm (about 4.14 inches) or less and handguns that discharge .25 or .32 calibre ammunition, except for a few specific ones used in International Shooting Union competitions;

- rifles and shotguns that have been altered by sawing or other means so that their barrel length is less than 457 mm (about 18 inches) or their overall length is less than 660 mm (about 26 inches);

- full automatics;

- converted automatics, namely full automatics that have been altered so that they fire only one projectile when the trigger is squeezed; and

- firearms prohibited by Criminal Code Regulations."

Deadeye
    Member #

Re: Barrel length laws in Canada ?

Quote Originally Posted by carnivore
    Hey all, I joined recently, I have been surfing here for the past couple weeks, lots of great info here. I have a quick question. I recently purchased a 1895 with the 22" barrel that I has an XS sout mount and a leupold scope. I will be having the barrel cut down to 18.5", ( I like the pistol grip, but want the guide gun length) if I can. The question is I bought this gun for bear hunting in Ontario, Canada. But looking at the regs it looks to me like 18.5" is the minimum length, but I am not sure. Is anyone here versed on Canadian laws regarding this subject. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Dave King is correct. 18.5 is the minimum non-restricted length.

Chris.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Thats the same thing I read, but the way they have it written I wanted to be sure before I have my barrel cut down. Thanks guys.
    b]Curt
    NRA Life Member[/b]

Wrangler
    Member #

If you're going to be taking this gun into canada I'd leave the barrel at least another 1/2" longer than what the minimum is. I went to ontario last year and when the guy pulled out a yardstick to measure the barrel length he didn't exactly know where to start his measurements. I'd just make sure you have some comfort room and don't get too tight on your measurements. It may save you some headaches at the border.

Also, don't take any pocket knives that you can open with one hand. They are considered switchblades up there and are illegal.

Also when they ask you to declare all the weapons you brought with you don't forget to mention your hunting knives. We didn't think to mention it and we had some explaining to do when we talked to the guys with the badges.

Hope this helps.

Deadeye
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by teddy12b
    If you're going to be taking this gun into canada I'd leave the barrel at least another 1/2" longer than what the minimum is. I went to ontario last year and when the guy pulled out a yardstick to measure the barrel length he didn't exactly know where to start his measurements. I'd just make sure you have some comfort room and don't get too tight on your measurements. It may save you some headaches at the border.

Also, don't take any pocket knives that you can open with one hand. They are considered switchblades up there and are illegal.

Also when they ask you to declare all the weapons you brought with you don't forget to mention your hunting knives. We didn't think to mention it and we had some explaining to do when we talked to the guys with the badges.

Hope this helps.
    Interestingly enough our RCMP (police) don't seem to well versed on the firearm act. Technically trigger locks are only required when transporting restricted firearms, but I've heard of RCMP confiscating non-restricted weapons when they've been transported without trigger locks. Might want to be sure that you've got a cable lock on it too. Personally I've never had any problems though.

Chris.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Interestingly enough our RCMP (police) don't seem to well versed on the firearm act. Technically trigger locks are only required when transporting restricted firearms, but I've heard of RCMP confiscating non-restricted weapons when they've been transported without trigger locks. Might want to be sure that you've got a cable lock on it too. Personally I've never had any problems though.

Chris.

Chris, i carry a copy of the act in regards to the transportation of non restricted. I also used it once at a check stop and schooled an officer.

Deadeye
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Win94

Chris.

Chris, i carry a copy of the act in regards to the transportation of non restricted. I also used it once at a check stop and schooled an officer.
    That's a good idea. I might copy your idea...

Wrangler
    Member #

That is a good idea to keep a copy of that with you. I made our group use trigger locks on all the guns and pad locks on the cases they were in. We didn't have any problems regarding locks.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links