+ Reply to Thread

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Mercury recoil reducer

What is the correct way to install a mercury recoil reducer?

My rifle has one. But the angle it is installed at sure seems wrong. The hole starts about an inch and half from the top of the stock and is angled down. I was thinking it should be parallel with either the top or bottom edge of the stock or at least straight down the center.

If that's the correct way then I'll leave it alone. If it isn't I'll either fill the the hole and have someone drill a new one or replace the stock and have it drilled correctly.

Lenard

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #

Mercury recoil reducer

Don't really know but my opine is if it works.

Recoil does make the rifle roll in an upward motion pivoting from the recoil pad a mercury buffer angled down would have a negating effect on that motion much as porting does. Giving you a quicker second sight aquistion.

Bottom line felt recoil is what slams your shoulder first and is felt from a straight backward motion. To buffer that I would think you would have to have it installed inline with the rifles bore.
    God Bless Our Troops -- Retired Tool & Die Maker -- The center of an Aspirin is the same size as the center of the moon, aim for the center.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Mercury recoil reducer

Took this off a site that sells them.

RIFLES: All rifles have no draw bolt hole, so they must be drilled with a 7/8" bit. This hole must be drilled parallel with the bottom of the stock.
    BOT GBUSA, Charter member team 444.
    Life member NRA, Life member WAC.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Mercury recoil reducer

Thanks Swany and Sure-Shot,

Guess I have some work to do filling in the old hole and drilling a new one.

Lenard

NFG
    Sidewinder
    Member #

Mercury recoil reducer

I installed mercury reducers in 3 rifles but I must have missed the part about installing parallel to the bottom. I installed one parallel to the direction of recoil which was parallel to the bore line and parallel to the comb line. In two that had bolt holes, the hole was on a slight angle so I just used the hole. I made a plug out of delrin to go over the bolt and to fill out the distance from the end of the reducer to the recoil pad, then glued the outside plug in with a bit of epoxy just to keep things tight.

Be sure to put the reducer in with the threaded extractor hole pointing to the butt bad!!!!

I also drilled a hole in the rear plug so I could thread a slide hammer into the reducer if or when I wanted to pull the whole shebang.

The recoil reduction is part additional weight and part inertia due to the mercury moving slightly inside the tube. I used the heaviest ones I could get from Brownells, something like 11 oz, plus a couple for the plugs, and they seem to work well. All the rifles feel better and better balanced with the additional weight also.

Enjoy

Tinhorn
    Member #

Mercury recoil reducer

+1 Parallel with the bore, I also bough mine from Brownells. Installed in my 74 Sharps 45-90 per instructions. BreaKO Recoil Reducer(Graco Corp).

Jon
    icah 6:8

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Mercury recoil reducer

Well, gosh. It's been so long since I put mine in that I don't exactly remember how it was angled. Probably put it straight in, parallel with the bore. The gun is a guide gun in 45/70. After I got that darn hole drilled, I put the reducer into it & then completely filled the remainder of the hole with epoxy. Didn't want that silly thing rattling around in there. :-) Did it help w/ the recoil? Absolutely. Don't know if it was just the added weight (16 oz, I think) or if the mercury helps too, but I don't regret for a second installing it.

Robert in the hills of Tennessee

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links