+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Rounds won't chamber

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Rounds won't chamber

I've got a Remlin 45-70, just bought it this year and have only put just under 60 rnds through it, mostly handloads and found some that won't chamber. The lever closes just to the point of where it should snap shut...but doesn't. So I've gone through measuring my handloads, measuring the Win. and Starline brass I'm using and found the Win. brass to be inconsistant compared to the Starline as far as rim thickness goes. My loads are all well within max. length but the measurements for the rim (according to drawings and Hornady manual) should be around .070". I have no rims that measure that thick. The Starline measures consistantly .063" but the Win. rims measure from .066" to .069".

I only have 2 right now that won't chamber and they're both Win. brass, one measures .068" the other is .067" Which seems well within tolerance but it's the only thing I can find that might make them not chamber as they are fatter than the Starline rims. I've measured the loaded cases at the neck and found no differences, the case length..nothing seems be inconsistant.

Anyone come across such a problem?

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Is the round actually partly chambered when you're experiencing the hang-up and it's just not seating fully forward or is it getting stuck while the carrier is still doing it's thing?

Can you feed the round successfully through the ejection port?

Cowpoke
    Member #
    Check the shoulder. I think it is a bit of a less angle causing the issue.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Did you fully resize the case? Sometimes I have not pulled the lever of the reloader all the way down and the head/primer end of the case does not get sized enough to fully go into the chamber.
    dek16001 likes this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Suzanne, Welcome to MO. Sounds like you've done a good investigation. In addition to what has been suggested, I doubt that the rim thickness is the issue since the camming action of the lever being closed would still chamber the round. Since they are reloads perhaps the bullet might be a bit oversized forward of the case mouth(?) which could be engaging the throat/land. I did have a similar issue with some .44-40 reloads using some commercial bullets. I found that by closing the lever to the point where it did not want to go forward any more then pushing the bolt just a bit more forward with my thumb, I could close the lever ok. w30wcf
    dek16001 and BFPGW like this.
    aka w44wcf (black powder)
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 WCF, .30WCF, .44WCF cartridge historian
    TEAM 39A member #108
    TEAM 1894 member #125
    TEAM 30-30 member #311
    TEAM 45-70 member #563

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne View Post
    I've got a Remlin 45-70, just bought it this year and have only put just under 60 rnds through it, mostly handloads and found some that won't chamber. The lever closes just to the point of where it should snap shut...but doesn't. So I've gone through measuring my handloads, measuring the Win. and Starline brass I'm using and found the Win. brass to be inconsistant compared to the Starline as far as rim thickness goes. My loads are all well within max. length but the measurements for the rim (according to drawings and Hornady manual) should be around .070". I have no rims that measure that thick. The Starline measures consistantly .063" but the Win. rims measure from .066" to .069".

I only have 2 right now that won't chamber and they're both Win. brass, one measures .068" the other is .067" Which seems well within tolerance but it's the only thing I can find that might make them not chamber as they are fatter than the Starline rims. I've measured the loaded cases at the neck and found no differences, the case length..nothing seems be inconsistant.

Anyone come across such a problem?
    Sometimes when you use a thicker mouth rim case, you slightly bulge the rim during the crimping process. Check your crimp...
    BillyTee, msharley and dek16001 like this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Well the reason I thought it might be the rim thickness is because there was a thread on here about a guy that couldn't chamber any rounds at all (not my problem) and found out they had installed the wrong ejector. So I looked and noticed that my ejector snaps nicely over the rim when it's supposed to. So it ain't that....I'm using 405grn jacketed bullets that are consistant in measurement after loading in the shell, the case has been fully resized and I checked for uniformity (as per Kevo M's suggestion).

MarkAD I don't know what shoulder you're talkin about.

Corrupt_reverand, the rnd is chambered up to the point of the lever not engaging the trigger disconnect. It's just to the point of snapping it shut...like it needs to go 1/16th inch or 2/16".

30wcf, thanks for the welcome (I've been lurking), although I've tried forcing with the lever, I haven't tried using my thumb....this is just weird and I've only got 2 rnds that won't chamber all the way, there's no marks on the bullet indicating the lands but I've got it well off the lands anyway...never had a problem like this that I can't figure out, so I thought it might be some sort of Remlin gremlin that you guys might know about.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I have a STBL Remlin. It behaves like yours seems to be. My reloads were a little problematic and the reason was I had slightly overcrimped. A barely perceptable bulge at the case mouth made chambering tough or impossible. The tip off was factory stuff chambered just fine. I believe JBledsoe made some comments that led me to the final discovery. Test a fired case to see if it chambers, if not you are on the right track I'd say. In my case I only had to adjust my crimp off, or back a tad, and the problem was solved.
    Welcome to MO, hope to hear more from you. Steve
    dek16001 likes this.
    Wyoming Dinger Ringer Association, emeritus Billy Dixon
    #304-1895STBL/.45-70
    #60-1894/.45 Colt
    1895 Cowboy/45-70

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Use a sharpie marker to "paint"'the case black. Chamber it as far as it will go. Pull it back out and see if there are unusual rub marks where it is hanging up.

My hand loads will get a fail to load similar to yours if there is any bulge at the crimp. I moved my crimp to a dedicated die (stopped crimping at the time of the bullet seat) and all my issues went away.
    Zach
    Zach

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Hey Suzanne,

Welcome to the family. I think that Kid Sopris has hit on the cause. very often the issue that you describe is caused by over crimping the case. It's kinda like my belt over crimps my stomach and has a slight roll just above....slight?
    Anyway, a light crimp is all you need.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links