+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Ammo shortage

Wrangler
    In the backwoods woods Tarheel Country N.C.
    Member #

Ammo shortage

Tonight went into town for a few staples, decided to swing by Gander Mnt and check out the ammo surplus, or lack of. Before i make my point,,,, i get by weekly or so to pick up a few rounds i might be short on.. Usually they have the common poplular hunting calibers, 30 30, 06, 270, 4570, 308, 338 etc..Normally they have the isles broken down for hunting Ammo , shotguns, handguns, ammo. Tonight i make my way there and the first isle i get to is hunting, Ok so i thought i would pick up a box or two of 4570 . As i walk toward the isle i see ammo boxes for sale, gun cases, etc...im like ok where is the ammo. the next isle is handguns,,on it was other misc cleaning supplies etc..im like ok they relocated the ammo. But i did see the isle markings for ammo. I look in the center of the main isle and spotted two small tables on one table it had rifle ammo calibers that I didnt even know was a caliber,,,and roughly 20 boxes, the handgun table had a tad more. Im like this is nuts, so i see a sales associate and ask, i realize there is a shortage but i noticed you are putting gun cases, ammo boxes and cleaning supplies where the ammo should be, so this tells me that Gander mountain dont even expect to get any more ammo in. He said that yup in comes in wed nights, we put it in the main isle on the tables and its gone , whats left is what u see.We're putting other store items where the ammo should go, because it has finally all gone, why have wasted space .just two weeks ago they had plenty of the above common stuff and usually get it in on weds.. He told me that corp has confirmed that the GOVT is buying it all up. I know ive read it on the internet, but have refused to believe that they would now be sucking it all up.Im starting to really believe it. Either A. the common stuff has been purchased by the general poplualtion and the manufactures in fact are not producing it because B. the rumors that the govt is flooding them with govt contracts to keep them busy is in fact true...Ive read so much propaganda on it and refuse to believe this theory...Gentlemen/Ladies ive come to the conclusion tonight, if you see it...buy it..there is no telling when this ending. Is the rumors true that Biden said, we cant control guns, we will control the ammo?..My god we have major financial crisis in the country and there wasting my tax dollars on purchasing ammo they do not need to keep it from us. Why the heck dont they stockpile gas so we can get it cheaper. lol..for the first time in my young 50 years Im really starting to believe that something is on the horizon. All i know is there is shotgun shells a plenty, so Im sucking it up now like a electrolux vacuum cleaner since its all that is left. I did manage to grab the last box of 45ACP 200 rds for 99 bucks minus my 10 percent military discount.....Tomorrow I get four boxes of 375 from my supplier locally that stumbled acrossed it doing inventory.....I do not reload, but i would venture to say, your supplies are getting thin as well in the stores. Writing this has made me realized that Ive not even looked for my 50 cal smoke pole supplies...and the kicker is, there were many folks in there purchasing guns....i chuckled to my wife and said, Ive got socks older than them, and would venture to say they do not reload.....hope they bought the ammo first, because the rifle he is buying is USLESS...I can hear it now after he shells out several hundred bucks and pays for the gun ,,,Sir where is the ammo at for my new gun..., Sales associate...."sorry we are out of IT" ...PRICELESS... hopefully its better in your part of the world, friend in alabama said he can still get the common stuff...he is going to find me some 45 70 tomorrow...he is desperate for 22, i said time to do some trading....i got a plenty of that stuff...
    David J.
    US Coast Guard Vet 1985-2007
    Semper Paratus (Always Ready)

308 MXLR
    338 MXLR
    375 Win
    1895GS 45-70 member #903
    1894 357
    1894 44 mag
    336 49' 32 spl
    336 30-30 rc
    60 22LR
    1895 STBL

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Well in CO there's very little 223 and 308 other than expensive match and varmint. 22 is scarce but I found a couple places that have bricks pretty cheap. 45-70 30-06 243 and other hunting ammo isn't that hard to find. also I just saw a Cabelas ad that says they have AR mags in stock now too, so I think it's all just a matter of time till things get back to normal.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I was lucky to think ahead and get what I wanted earlier. The only stuff I am low on is of course 22lr and 9mm.
    I have enough powder, primers, cases, and boolits to load up a lot of rounds so I am good on hunting rounds for the rest of my life and probably my kids.
    I agree, buy it when you see it.

Doc
    BillyTee likes this.
    "It Appears As Though My Hypocrisy Knows no bounds"

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    If you didn't start stock up before the 2008 election, you were naive. If you didn't get hit with an epiphany before the 2012 election, you were delusional. If you are scrambling to find ammo now, you are SOL. It's a form of backdoor gun control. If you don't have ammo, then logically you have no need for a gun, they then can take them from you.

I knew a moron of an engineer that got scared during the Rodney King riots and bought a mossberg 500 12 gauge and dreesed it up with heat shield and other scary looking window treatments, and never bought ammo claiming that "if they come here I'll hold it up and that will scare them off".

Don't be that moron.
    November 19, National Ammunition Day - Buy a box Save a Nation
    That which we obtain to cheaply, we value to lightly. - Thomas Payne

American Citizen
    Veteran - USAF
    Husband
    Father
    Grandfather
    American Voter
    NRA Member
    Team 1894 #11
    Team 30-30 #23
    Team Old Pharts #40
    Marlin League #60
    Team 35 #205

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    I was lucky to think ahead and get what I wanted earlier. The only stuff I am low on is of course 22lr and 9mm.
    I have enough powder, primers, cases, and boolits to load up a lot of rounds so I am good on hunting rounds for the rest of my life and probably my kids.
    I agree, buy it when you see it. Doc
    Doc, I like the way you think.
    Doc Holliday and Dwight Z like this.
    November 19, National Ammunition Day - Buy a box Save a Nation
    That which we obtain to cheaply, we value to lightly. - Thomas Payne

American Citizen
    Veteran - USAF
    Husband
    Father
    Grandfather
    American Voter
    NRA Member
    Team 1894 #11
    Team 30-30 #23
    Team Old Pharts #40
    Marlin League #60
    Team 35 #205

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I have most everything I need but was running short on powder for my 45-70. I have tried for months to get more H322 locally without any luck. I finally found some 250 miles south of here in a small town. Sooooooooo I went on a road trip today and bought all the guy had. There does seem to be ammo available here but reloading supplies are hard to find.
    .457 Magnum WWG Alaskan Guide SS
    Marlin 1895 JM 45-70G

Tinhorn
    Member #
    If the government is buying all the ammo it is because the manufacturers are allowing it to happen. They do not have to sell to the government. There is no law that requires any private company to supply the government before the general public. If the ammo manufacturers have signed contracts to supply government agencies knowing that they will consume all of there inventory and leave nothing for the public that would not be very good business. Anyone that has ever done business with the government knows they are not fast payers. you can wait several months to get paid and that would leave the manufacturers low on cash flow. I don't think even the really big manufacturers could afford to finance the government for hundreds of millions of rounds IMHO

Wrangler
    Member #
    Here in the Denver Area 22LR is selling for over $60/brick. 10/22's are over $500 and AR-15's have no limit. It is Crazy to see what is going on here. 7 Anti Gun Bills have passed and are coming up for votes. Pot is now Legal here and guns are being outlawed, go figure.

Ken
    Wyoming Dinger Ringer Association
    1993 Model 336 CS 30/30 ,
    2002 Model 1895 GS 45/70
    2002 Model1895 CB 45/70
    2007 Model 444XLR, with SBL lever
    Team 444 Member #178 Team 45/70 #46
    NRA Endowment Member
    NRA Handgun Instructor
    IHMSA and SASS

Deadeye
    Member #
    I started getting serious about stockpiling long ago. Ruby Ridge and Waco showed me what our own government is capable of. Keep your powder dry!
    Doc Holliday and akguy59 like this.
    Life Member NRA
    Life Member NAHC
    Team 45-70 #171
    Browning 1886 45-70
    Marlin 1895 STBL 45-70
    Sharps Long Range Express 45-70
    #135 in the Old Pharts pantheon of glory.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Here in Alaska things have been tight before, but not like this... no 22.lr, .223, .308, .45acp, 10mm, most reloading stuff is sold out. I just got back from a trip to the major cities for resupply and had to really scrouge for everything. I was sitting pretty good before all the craziness, and just wanted to top off... thank goodness! What an eye opener!
    I was able to get a couple hundred more .22lr, some 12ga 00 buck and several pounds of powder and a couple hundred more LG rifle and small pistol primers but I had to really look and I put 450miles on the truck during our resupply journey. I lucked out on my Midway order and picked up another 200 Starline .45/70 cases and a couple of Lee molds.
    A friend who works for Sportsman's Warehouse said they sell all the ammo and most of the components as it comes off the truck, it never even hits the shelves. I was on the hunt for powder, primers and loaded ammo as I can't get any of that shipped to me up here due to HAZ Mat restrictions. Now I feel set for the next 10 years or so, I'll be able to hunt and keep proficient and not stress about ammo. I highly recommend that if you see it, buy it! Grab every piece of brass at the range and save it, you will be able to trade it or sell it or reload it. Heck, guys at one range I went to were asking who to speak with about mining the berm for lead to smelt!
    I'm curious if things do normalize how long will it take to trickle up here as Alaska will be one of the last places to get decent shipments. You lesser 48 folks will get the lions share of production for awhile I suspect.

Alaskatrekker

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links