+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Trying to get "Wide Flat Nose" bullets to chamber smooth

Contributing Member
    Member #

Trying to get "Wide Flat Nose" bullets to chamber smooth

So I have these Cast Performance 300gr WFNGC bullets that shoot well in both my 444’s, but with one little problem. The wide flat nose likes to roll over to the right of the chamber and catch on the edge where the extractor slides by. I’ve tried different seating depths already.
    Has anybody got these bullets to chamber on the first stroke? I’ve got the same problem with the Beartooth 250gr WFNGC & those wide HP Speer "Deer Curl" bullets in my Marlin1895 too.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I'd say you have slight metal burr somewhere close to where the bullets catch. I use Ranchdog 265s and 350s which have about a 72% meplat for my T-4. I have to seat my 265s at 2.492" OAL, and my 350s at 2.524"OAL for smooth cycling. I use a piece of brass cut like the one in the picture to find my OAL. I put a bullet in a dummy cartridge, (no primer no powder for those new to reloading), and slowly close the lever in my gun to get an almost tight fit. Then I back off no more than .020" as a start for seating. I note that my gun seems to require much deeper seating for the 265s than many people talk about. This just indicates that each gun is different, and you have to find a way to make it work within limits acceptable to you. Since my bullets are seated deeper, I use less powder to adjust for pressure than many people do. Another cost saving factor that works in my favor.

I rarely shoot paper because of lack of interest, so I can't speak about target groupings resulting from my techniques. I regularly shoot all kinds of reactive targets like jugs or buckets or spray paint cans with much satisfaction. YMMV.

rimrock

dpe.ahoy likes this.
    Team 444 member #205

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Hal; I am not trying to funny here, but, are you left handed by any chance?
    "You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."
    - Bob Hagel

...."any achievement is directly proportional to the degree of difficulty, the degree of danger you have to go through". Jeremy Wade 2012

Gunfighter
    Member #
    edit of my earlier post. Dial up is so limiting sometimes. I can't get the picture to attach from my hard drive. All the picture shows is 2 cuts made perpendicular to each other so that you could envision a "+" sign in the end of the case neck using a cut off attachment in a Dremel power tool. With the the cut, the brass still grips a bullet but much lighter than if the case neck remains intact. Slowly close the the bolt so that the bullet enters the chamber and lightly contacts the leade (or throat) of the chamber.

rimrock
    Team 444 member #205

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Hal, I looked at the numbers on those bullets. The 300 gr Cast Performance has a 0.345" meplat and a 0.310 nose length. I know less about cycling of ammo than I do about chambering, but it looks to me like the numbers should work. It is odd that you are having the issue with two different rifles as well. The 250 Beartooth bullet, if I am looking at the right one, has a 0.320 nose length and a 0.340 meplat. Those are standard dimensions. I see nothing about those bullets that shouldnt work as far as I can tell. I'll be watching this thread to see what comes up.

Super Moderator
    Somewhere in South Carolina again! Charter Member Team 444
    Member #
    Whats your COL.
    Their are only two kinds of people, those who own a 444 and those who wish they owned one,
    and yes folks, denial is bliss!

Mckmain80 says: Don't forget, a 444Marlin means a little less Government in your life! I couldn't Agree More!!!

Not much has really changed in the world in 2000 years, Christians are still being thrown to the Lions! and
    Satans tool of Deception is still working like a charm, from the time of Adam and Eve, to today!

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Top View Post
    Hal; I am not trying to funny here, but, are you left handed by any chance?
    Nope

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Starrbow View Post
    Whats your COL.
    I have to limit them to no more than 2.570 for BT 290 LFNGC's (which slide in real nice) or 2.560 max for the CP 300's. Any longer and it's quite a push to lock up the lever. 51.3 grs of H335 doesn't seem to leave much room for sinking them 300's much farther.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Hal; Do some "slow motion" testing with dummy rounds to find you COL. Your rifle will only accept so much COL with any given bullet, and without modification that probably wont change. One thing you may want to check....is the cartridge, once it is picked up by the cartridge lifter, and is raised to the bolt pick up point, being angled away from the center line of the chamber when the bolt starts to move the cartridge forward and into the chamber?
    "You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."
    - Bob Hagel

...."any achievement is directly proportional to the degree of difficulty, the degree of danger you have to go through". Jeremy Wade 2012

Contributing Member
    Member #
    That's what i'm thinking Flat Top, it always catches on the right side by the extractor.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links