+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Winchester 94AE Timber 444 Marlin

I have found a nice Winchester 94AE Timber in 444 and I am thinking about adding it to my line up. Nice wood and price seems right. I think it has the 1 in 12 twist rate. Do the Winchesters have any problems that I should consider? I shoot factory Hornady LE ammunition currently. This just seems like a nice compact rifle.

Co-Captain--TEAMS 1894 & Team 450 Super Moderator
    Member #

Re: Winchester 94AE Timber 444 Marlin

They are okay but you would like a 444P better I think. They are both ported.... there is one on GB right now just calling your name (not mine).
    Scott

Group: Florida Marlin Owners
    Group: Guide Gun & Outfitter Owners Association
    TEAM Shotgun ~ Member# 4 - 410 Lever
    TEAM 35 ~ Member# 244 336D - Ported
    TEAM 39 ~ Member # 221
    TEAM 60 ~ Member # 47 99C & 60SS
    TEAM 1894 ~ Member# 1 1894P - Ported
    TEAM 444 ~ Member# 259 444P - Ported
    TEAM 45/70 ~ Member# 6 1895G & 1895GS - Ported
    TEAM 450 ~ Member# 30 1895M - Ported

jgt
    Wrangler
    Member #

Anything is possible but most of the 1/12 twist barrels were installed on black shadow rifles. Your twist rate is more likely a 1/20. Your rifle will withstand pressures of up to 50,000 psi if you are tough enough to shoot them. Marlins up to 40,000 psi. I prefer the Marlins but the difference is in the bolt. Go to Paco Kelly's web site and read his articles on 444's and you will understand what I am saying. I own one myself but have three Marlin 444's.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I had one for awhile, and I gave it to my friend and his two sons in Missouri. I had other projects at the time, and he lives within driving distance of an exotic game farm with big pigs/cow elk, and I would not need to drag a rifle with me when I visited them and went with them,ha.
    They are really nice rifles, accurate, and light enough to hunt with; and they can handle higher pressures than a Marlin. They definitely benefit from the ports, and the faster twist ( 1/20") is nice. I put a peep on it, but a scope is easy enough to add to an AE. I like the pistol grip stock.
    Genesis 3:21 ...God, the first Furrier.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

I have been wanting to get a Winchester Timber Carbine 444 for a while. Around where I roam they are few and far between, so maybe that raises the desire level somewhat. When I do find one they are almost a grand which I just can't see laying out that much cash for one. I'm hoping someday the right kind of deal will come along. Its definitely more of a want than a need for sure! If you don't mind me asking, what is the price on that Winnie going for?
    si vis pacem, para bellum

Auxilium meum a Domino
    "My Aid Comes From The Master"
    Team 444 #269
    Team 45/70 #948
    Team 30-30 #374
    Team 1894 #274
    "a Smith & Wesson beats Four Aces"

Super Moderator
    Somewhere in South Carolina again! Charter Member Team 444
    Member #

Yes you can load a Winchester to higher pressures, but! I doubt you can get their using our normal powders for a 444, as the Winchester is not forgiving in Overall cartridge length, were the marlin is depending on bullet design.

The Winchesters IMHO are a POS, the one I had for a short time, had the rebounding Hammer yuk! (no half cock safety) real bad trigger pull and travel, and would shoot itself apart with factory ammo, my Cross Bolt Safety fell out several times, as well you cannot keep the screws tight at all even with the blue locktite, my front sight was off center and it was by far the hardest kicking 444 I've ever shot. I had the Traditional 20" barreled model, the only upside for me was it was a sweetheart to carry around at 6 1/4LBS.
    Their are only two kinds of people, those who own a 444 and those who wish they owned one,
    and yes folks, denial is bliss!

Mckmain80 says: Don't forget, a 444Marlin means a little less Government in your life! I couldn't Agree More!!!

Not much has really changed in the world in 2000 years, Christians are still being thrown to the Lions! and
    Satans tool of Deception is still working like a charm, from the time of Adam and Eve, to today!

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Yep, I agree with the hard kicker part on the one I had, but I only shot the Noselr 250 PT out of it, that was bad enough! I had my trigger stoned/lightened and the safety deactivated, so no problem with that. I really feel like the Marlin is the better shooter friendly in either the 444P or even a regular 444. I prefer the faster twist, but Starrbow likes them fast, and the slower MG twist does that in style. My SIL has my other Winchester BB, a full length magazine carbine, shoots great, but is so light it kicks like crazy, even Magna Ported. He hasn't hunted with it yet, but shoots the LM 265 out of it.
    Genesis 3:21 ...God, the first Furrier.

Sidewinder
    Member #

i have the 94 TC in 450 marlin with the tang safety and set up scout style. it is one of the handiest guns i own. it is so much trimmer and handier than any of my marlins. but that said, it is a beast to shoot the leverevolution ammo. and the trigger is horrendous. about 1/2" of travel and then about a 10lb crunchy pull. probably worst of any of my guns. but i love that gun. it's one of those that i just love to fondle and carry in the woods. if i find a 444 version for a reasonable price i would buy it. they will be worth some money someday.

Deadeye
    Member #

I have one that is NIB. It was just sitting in the corner at a sportsmans warehouse. Was too good a deal to pass up at $389. I think it would be a "kicker" for sure. My 356 shoots the speer 220gr at 2300fps & it has a good snap to it. The 265 or 300gr out of a 444 should recoil alittle more I would think. I sure like the way it feels in my hands. Points very nice.

I don't think i would even want a 450 in a 94. It would be nice to carry i suppose but my teeth hurt just thinking about it.

John

jgt
    Wrangler
    Member #

I had a standard rifle before I owned the Timber Carbine and it didn't kick with 240 grn. That is all I shot in it before a fellow saw it and wanted it so bad, I sold it to him. The rifle sat in the shop as people would pick it up and testify how bad they kicked then put it back on the shelf. One day when the shop was about to close the owner made me an offer I couldn't refuse, kicker or not. I took it to my place and pulled it up snug prepared to have the snot kicked out of me and it didn't happen. It was not near as bad as the puma 92 in 44 magnum shooting 24 grns of 4227 and a 240 grn bullet. Now that thing would Kick the snot right out of you.
    I bought the Timber Carbine because I couldn't find a 444P. Later, I found a 444 rifle and had it cut to 18". Then I found a 444P, so the next guy that sees that Timber Carbine and wants it, is going to be the new owner. Not because I think there is anything wrong with it, but because I now have a rifle and three carbines.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links