Closed Thread
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: 444 Marlin Bullet Test - Heavyweight Championship

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Re: 444 Marlin Bullet Test - Heavyweight Championship

I am about 25 ft from jugs with my chrony halfway between. Like I said, loads are intended to give impact velocities roughly equal to velocities at 50 yards from full power loads. I pretty much hit the impact velocities I was aiming for. Except for the RD 432-350 and the Hornady 265 FN, there was less than a 100 fps spread on impact velocities.
    Oh...Give me a home where the buffalo roam and the deer and antelope play.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

mt_ sourdough; Excellent so far!!! I am going to predict and most of the others here will most likely agree, that the cast bullets will be the stars of the show!!! I am expecting them to penetrate at least twice as much as the jacketed. Only your test will give us the answer.......I await your results with baited breath!!!
    "You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."
    - Bob Hagel

...."any achievement is directly proportional to the degree of difficulty, the degree of danger you have to go through". Jeremy Wade 2012

Gun Wizard
    Member #

5th Place Hornady 265 Flat Nose

Velocity - 2096 fps
    Penetration - 5 Jugs
    Retained Weight - 245.5 gr
    Expansion - 0.807"
    Energy Transfer/ Jugs Exploded - 3 Jugs

I have to begin with stating that this ranking might change soon. I did not anchor the jugs when I test the Hornady 265 FN and therefor the jugs all slid backwards when bullet struck. Energy spent moving jugs, robs energy otherwise used to push a bullet deeper.
    I will test this bullet again. For now, I a have an impressive slug to look at. The Hornady 265 FN retained a little over 90% of it's original weight and looks to hold together well despite the fact that it had the highest impact velocity in this test. The mushroom is an impressive 0.807". I suspect that when I test this bullet again, the penetration will increase. I would not hesitate to put one of these into an elks shoulder or raking hits, but that is assuming better penetration in next test.

12/13/10 I retested this bullet and results were similar, but impressive. Penetration actually remained the same at 5 Jugs. First difference was in energy transfer where 4 and 5 Jugs were exploded(on second test of two today, the 5th jug was laying on the ground with the slug in it and jugs seam split from top to bottom). The most impressive part of todays test is the retained weight. One weighed 262 gr and the other weighed 262.8. The max expanded diameter is 0.795 and 0.821.

Con
    Tinhorn
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Top
    mt_ sourdough; Excellent so far!!! I am going to predict and most of the others here will most likely agree, that the cast bullets will be the stars of the show!!! I am expecting them to penetrate at least twice as much as the jacketed. Only your test will give us the answer.......I await your results with baited breath!!!
    Not a fair comparison unless the cast pills expand. Throw a 300gr Barnes Buster in against the cast pills. :P
    Cheers...
    Con

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Con; or, a Belt Mountain Punch! Dont get me wrong, I do use jacketed bullets in my small and medium bore rifle loads...but, those 444's are so big to start with, I just dont see the point in using them in a big bore....same with my 44 Mag handguns.....and, the way I look at it, two holes are better than one.
    "You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."
    - Bob Hagel

...."any achievement is directly proportional to the degree of difficulty, the degree of danger you have to go through". Jeremy Wade 2012

Gun Wizard
    Member #

4th Place Speer 300 gr Unicor

Velocity - 2023 fps
    Penetration - 6 Jugs
    Retained Weight - 252.8 gr (290.2 in previous test)
    Expansion - 0.812" (0.950")
    Energy Transfer/ Jugs Exploded - 4 Jugs

The Speer 300 Unicor is very closely matched with Hornady 265 FN depite the fact that they are two completely different bullets. I will call the Speer 300 gr Unicor the unofficial "Bang-for-your-buck" Champion among commercial bullets. If the Hornady 265 FN overtakes the Speer 300 Unicor in future testing, than the "bfyb" belt may go to the Hornady. This bullet has very impressive energy transfer throughout its path through the jugs. The construction is very tough and bullet has exceptional weight retention.
    msharley and CTtrapper like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

mt; What alloy are your cast bullets made of?
    - Bob Hagel

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Do ya still have enough of the 265 Hornady's? DP
    TEAM 444 #187, Team 35 #7, Two Marlin 1894Cs, Remlin 1894C, 1894-44mag, 1952 Marlin 30-30, 1966 Texan 30-30. Glenfield 36G & two 30A's 30-30, 30-30 XLR, , five- 35rem. 1951 SC, 1952 SC, 1957, 1975 and 2008, 38-55 CB, M-375, 308 MX, 338MXLR, 444P, 444SS, , XS-7 22-250, XS-7 7mm-08 AI,

Gun Wizard
    Member #

I have plenty of the Hornady 265 FN for all my testing purposes. I thank you DP. Without having the "standard" for the 444 Marlin, I would not have a proper test/comparison. I have the Hornady 265's loaded and ready to go. Where I shoot, it is crawling with ATV users on the weekend, so I'll try to get my final testing done on Tuesday morning if everything works out.

My cast bullets are simple wheel weight alloy and are water quenched. I did some testing with same bullets with annealed noses to make a soft expanding nose. Those bullets were never recovered, so it is something that I am still working on.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

mt; Thanks. Most home casters like the water quenched WW for hunting....they work very well in revolvers as well. Looking forward to Tuesday evening and the results of your tests.
    - Bob Hagel

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links