+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Range time with reduced load

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Range time with reduced load

A month or so ago I got up to the range to try out some reduced handloads for my .444S. Two powders I tried were 700X and Blue Dot. I quickly determined that the 700X loads were not going to cut it but the Blue Dot load showed promise at 25 yards.

25 yd. group

I settled on 11.0 grs. of Blue Dot with a 240 gr. Hornady SWC and CCI primer. Great plinking load but POI is woefully off from my standard hunting load of 46 grs. of 4198 with the Hornady 265 gr. FP. Sight adjustment to raise the point of impact was necessary to get these to print on the target. These reduced loads are a lot more comfortable on my shoulder in the summer. Rifle wears a Leupold 1.75x5 variable. Now I'll work on zeroing the scope to get these to print in the X ring.

PS - I used a bit of polyester filler in each handload to keep the powder close to the primer's flash hole.

50 yd. group:

100 yd. group (off the paper due to drop but shows potential)

Team 444 Member# 298

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Re: Range time with reduced load

Looks good. What, may I ask, is your barrel length? That's 11 gr of Blue Dot eh? I'll remember that. I am interested in hearing about that piece of polyester you are using in your loads.
    Oh...Give me a home where the buffalo roam and the deer and antelope play.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mt_sourdough
    Looks good. What, may I ask, is your barrel length? That's 11 gr of Blue Dot eh? I'll remember that. I am interested in hearing about that piece of polyester you are using in your loads.
    Length on the old MicroGroove bbl. is the standard 22".

As for the polyester filler, it's the same stuff you use to stuff throw pillows and quilts with. It's flammable, so it is easily consumed in the barrel upon ignition. Something I picked up years ago in a reloading manual when using reduced loads in cases like .44 Magnum and greater with small amounts of fast-burning powder. Tucking a wisp of polyester filler on top of the powder charge before seating the bullet helps to keep the powder oriented near the primer's flash hole for consistent ignition. Here's what I have used for years. A small amount goes a long way. If you Google "polyester filler for reloading" you'll find some links to support this. Here's one example:http://home.earthlink.net/~driveabout/part2.htm

Team 444 Member# 298

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Setters4life
    As for the polyester filler, it's the same stuff you use to stuff throw pillows and quilts with. It's flammable, so it is easily consumed in the barrel upon ignition. Something I picked up years ago in a reloading manual when using reduced loads in cases like .44 Magnum and greater with small amounts of fast-burning powder. Tucking a wisp of polyester filler on top of the powder charge before seating the bullet helps to keep the powder oriented near the primer's flash hole for consistent ignition. Here's what I have used for years. A small amount goes a long way. If you Google "polyester filler for reloading" you'll find some links to support this. Here's one example:http://home.earthlink.net/~driveabout/part2.htm

Thank you for the tip. It seems like a simple and practical solution for reduced loads.
    Oh...Give me a home where the buffalo roam and the deer and antelope play.

Sidewinder
    Member #

does the fill melt onto the barrel, case, chamber, throat?

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by dnalite7
    does the fill melt onto the barrel, case, chamber, throat?
    I've never experienced any adverse effects in my revolvers or the Marlin. I only use the filler in straight-wall cases.
    Team 444 Member# 298

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Setters4life
    I've never experienced any adverse effects in my revolvers or the Marlin. I only use the filler in straight-wall cases.
    Hi
    Do you have any experience for using a cork wad on 444 for soft loads, leaving some room between cork and bullet ? I did some trials but the results are not clear and I don't know why.
    For istance ,utilizing the same amount of powder the recoil with lighter bullet is much stronger than heavier one !!!!

Con
    Tinhorn
    Member #

Blue Dot is not very position sensitive ... I think you could do without the filler. I also think you could up the load which may make your POI come a bit closer to your regular loads.
    I haven't tried Blue Dot in my 444Marlin as I run Alliant 2400 instead. But I've burnt a lot of Blue Dot in my 358Win behind 158gr pistol projectiles.
    Cheers...
    Con
    Setters4life likes this.

Wrangler
    Member #

i have used the pistol powders for reduced loads. You probably don't need the filler for blue dot loads. I recently changed my viewpoint on reduced loads....bought some 4759 and am using that now. I never double charged a case with the pistol powders, but the possibility of it happening has made me use the 4759. A double charge of 4759 will probly not even fit in the case and be much more obvious and safer for an absent minded old fart like me
    Setters4life likes this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Bear5
    Hi
    Do you have any experience for using a cork wad on 444 for soft loads, leaving some room between cork and bullet ? I did some trials but the results are not clear and I don't know why.
    For istance ,utilizing the same amount of powder the recoil with lighter bullet is much stronger than heavier one !!!!
    I have only used the polyester filler.
    Team 444 Member# 298

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links