+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 444 black powder loads

Site Contributor Wrangler
    Member #

444 black powder loads

I am wanting to load some tripple seven bp and see what happens....should be able to load to a slightly compressed load, somewhere between a 1/16 and an1/8 inch above the bottom of a bullet and crimp. you don't want a void in black powder. This would be a max load for any size bullet, but would be less than the 100 grains, that we use in our muzzle loaders........has anyone tried this....am I going to blow my gun up. I think it would be fun to cast some bullets and paperpatch them. I dont have any Idea the velocity but should be somewhere between 1500 and 1800, with a 260 grn bullet.

let me know if I'm screwing up

steve44

Site Contributor Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Re: 444 black powder loads

There were several big .44 cal BP cartridges around before the turn of the last century and They took more powder than that and didn't blow up. I doubt your Marlin will either. Should make a lot of stinky smoke though. Keep us posted.
    Team 444 Member #249 / Team .35 Member #79 Marlins since 1975
    Canadian Shooting Sports Association Life Member - CSSA Rocks!
    I support Canada's troops. Always caring, always Canadian, never defeated!

Sidewinder
    Member #

Hodgdon # 26 has some load data for the .444 with bp or trip 7. If you need it let me know I will dig it up.

Team 35 Remington Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

What do you have to do to clean the triple 7?
    The Older I Get...The Better I was...
    Team 444 Member #175
    Team 35 Member #2
    Team 39 Member #10
    Marlin League #26
    338 MX...It's not your father's lever action!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

I would not fire triple 7 or BP in my Marlins. The clean up is a mess. Use hot soapy water dry then oil. A lot easer with smokeless powder. That said I shoot a lot of BP 45-90 loads in my sharps but the action does not get as dirty, or have as many parts as a Marlin. Would probley be a good load just have to decide if the extra mess is worth it.

Team 35 Remington Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by rr11
    I would not fire triple 7 or BP in my Marlins. The clean up is a mess. Use hot soapy water dry then oil. A lot easer with smokeless powder. That said I shoot a lot of BP 45-90 loads in my sharps but the action does not get as dirty, or have as many parts as a Marlin. Would probley be a good load just have to decide if the extra mess is worth it.
    That's what I was thinking. If that crud gets into the action, I see a complete stripping and cleaning.
    The Older I Get...The Better I was...
    Team 444 Member #175
    Team 35 Member #2
    Team 39 Member #10
    Marlin League #26
    338 MX...It's not your father's lever action!

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

If the case expands, as it should, to seal the chamber;
    then only the bore will need cleaning…

I keep trying to talk myself out of using BP in my 1895CB,
    it’s a thought that shows up every winter…

Danny

Contributing Member
    Member #

I have a can or 2 of triple 7 and was thinking of the same thing and now I have Range Dog 265 gr. mold and thinking this would make a good combination using pure lead.
    The clean up would be be straight forward by taking the bolt out and using a jag, pushing a clean patch with black powder solvent chamber to muzzle. I would take the soiled patch off at the muzzle and repeat till clean.
    We must remember there were lever gun that fired black powder cartridge before smokeless cartridge were around And still are being made.

My Avatar is my brother John who left me to soon. He was 10 Y/O 1 month older than me. He took me off the Streets of Brooklyn taught me how to handle a rifle and to hunt. For his attention I would always be grateful. Rest in Peace Brother John.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

In his book on black powder rifles Mike Venturino says he quit shooting BP in lever guns due to the clean up. I have never fired BP in my lever guns. Shoot it in my Sharps and my flint locks. The clean up is not to bad but I think it would be bad in a Marlin. I agree lever guns started with black powder, but that was all they had to use. Based on my experance with my Sharps it would be a very good load. Oh Lord, now I am thanking I might have to try it once.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Ok boys I have shot a lot of Bp ,not the substitute in my guidegun. It's a blast. Don't let the myths of clean up scare you. Rowdy is correct, the bore and chamber need to be clean but the action stays nice and clean. rr11 do you use the old standby of windex with vinegar for clean up? If not you should think about giving it a try. I mix the windex with vinegar with a little water and run a few patches through, dosn't take long. Get her good and clean and run a lightly oiled patch through and your done. I still shoot 99 percent smokeless but Bp is fun and clean up is generally quicker than for smokeless. Rowdy, just give in and try it! That CB would be totally awesome with Bp, thats why I want one.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links