Marlin Firearms Forum banner

444s only ever got a 14.5" mag tube, correct?

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  FrankenMauser 
#1 ·
Just checking in with the brain trust, as I work on planning some projects:

Model 444s (of any variant except Tomray's 'end of days' custom) only ever came from the factory with a 14.5" magazine tube, correct?

I believe the answer is 'yes'; but I've been wrong before...
(Maybe once.
)

See less See more
Reactions: GrumpyBear
#2 ·
Followup:
If that is correct, then...

To get a longer magazine of the correct diameter, with the bulge, without splicing and welding tubes, one must currently impart the bulge to a .30-30 mag tube themselves or buy from RPP. Correct?

Reactions: GrumpyBear
#3 ·
My "71" barrel band model, which is currently partially taken down tube is 14.5 inches.

My "77" end cap model, is the same as far as I can tell without dis-assembly, is also 14.5 inches.

I know member Sub#11 just had a long full length tube built for a custom 450 Marlin, so maybe he will share where, whom, and how much with you.

Looked in my Brophy's book and could not find any info on mag tube length.

Hope this helps.

#4 ·
Thanks.

The only length I know of for 444s is the standard "3/4-length" tube that measures 14.5".

Various other models and variants have gotten all manner of other lengths, but I know of nothing else on factory 444s (except for Tomray's "special case").

#5 ·
You are correct. The 444's never came with a full length tube. We had customer's asking which is why we took the time to figure out how to modify a full length 336 tube and create the bulge so there was an option.

#8 ·
Our full length tube attaches to the barrel in the same manner as the original, via tenon/post arrangement. It's a gunsmith install kit, as a new dovetail must be cut near the muzzle. Our kit comes with one of our profiled fillers for the existing dovetail. Early barrel band model 444s would need the additional parts (cap, screw, and tenon) to complete the conversion.

#10 ·
With a full-length magazine tube, you can "load on Sunday, and shoot all week." :wink:

Some shooters want more capacity.
Some shooters just like the look of a full-length magazine better.

Under the current set of circumstances, what I am considering is a tube that's full length on a barrel between sixteen and seventeen inches. Though I might be able to squeeze another round in there, that is not the purpose. It's for aesthetic reasons.

I don't believe it was here on MarlinOwners, but I saw a fellow with a highly-customized .38-55 a few months back, that had a custom magazine made to go full-length on his 28" barrel. But it wasn't for capacity, at all. He just wanted "the look", and used a plug in the magazine tube to keep capacity at 3 rounds with a shortened spring.

#11 ·
FrankenMauser,

You are correct in thinking the ONLY length 444 tube ever made was 14.5" long.

When I made my 444, I had to cut the bulge off one tube, and then weld it to another straight tube..........It was the only way to go, for me...........

I designed my special FL tube to have the welded joint under the forearm. I faced off the two adjoining tube ends in a lathe, adding a .005 chamfer to the IDs to insure the follower would pass the weld joint smoothly, and a little larger chamfer to the ODs for welding. Then I made a Graphite* plug to align both tubes on, and sent it to the best welder I know................* weld won't stick to graphite, and you can just push the plug out of the tube after welding.

When I got it back, I profiled off the excess weld, and then had it polished and Blued..............

I hope this helps you with your project.........

Tom

#12 ·
Thanks, Tomray.

Pretty much what I had been thinking.

A few hours ago, I ordered some 9/16" (0.5625") and 14mm (0.551") drill rod to use for alignment, should I take the cut-and-splice route. (.444 / .30-30 tube ID is 0.565", for readers that haven't measured.)
Hit with a low-power Tig or 110V Mig setup, I figure there should be enough mass in the large, 'cold' alignment rod to prevent the filler material from bonding, and it should be stiff enough to prevent much warpage from weld shrink.

Somewhere around here, I have a 9/16" solid copper rod that would be nearly ideal, if I can find it and it hasn't gotten beaten up. But I'm not placing any bets on that panning out (nor am I going to drop $60+ on another piece).

#17 ·
Doesn't the 1895 have a bulge in the tube? I am pretty sure that it does because I seem to remember it uses a special fore end. A 1895 cowboy tube should be long enough... It may be a larger diameter though. I'm not at home so I can't compare the 1895 tube to a 444 tube for you right now.

-Bob George

#18 ·
Wouldn't work easily, the 1895 tube has a larger OD/ID. The tube opening in the frame would need to be enlarged to install the 1895 tube. There might be problems with a smaller 444 rattling around in a larger 45-70 tube.

BB

#19 ·
I was thinking the tube for the 45-70 might be larger. Couldn't be that easy, could it :) ? Well RPP seems to have the solution and they even had the dovetail slot filler that looks to fit very well. I think midway might have a kit to make dovetail slots on their site. I know someone has one that is basically a jig for a guide and a file.

-Bob

#21 ·
Been there.
Done that.
Not doing it again.

- At least not with the dovetail tool that I used. (Dixie Gun Works.)
I murdered every triangle file that I had, including an expensive 'safe-sided' file, as well as a mill bast@rd, cutting just one dovetail. By the time I was done, I had ruined enough hacksaw blades and files to account for paying a good 'smith to do the job two or three times over.

Lathe, mill, or not at all.

#20 ·
If Midway doesn't, Brownells/Sinclair would be the place to look for gunsmithing tools of all sorts.
That is one of their specialties.
They do at least have the slot files and a measuring gauge.
A more thorough search or a phone call might give you more.
As I have said elsewhere their website is a PITA compared to Midway's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.