Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Going price for Marlin .444's?

43K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Joe in Fl 
#1 ·
What's a good used .444, uncheckered with cross-bolt safety in 95% condition bringing these days?
I saw one recently and am tempted.
If it was a "pre-safety" I would have already jumped on it.
If the price is right I think I can learn to live with the safety.
Thanks!
WFR

#3 ·
There are 5 styles of 444 Marlins, the 444, the 444S,444SS. 444P and 444XTR.
The first has a 24" Micro-Groove 1-38 twist barrel and straight grip, high comb buttstock (which is the best IMHO) square or round lever, narrow hammer, barrel bands at the forearm. They are the smoothest 444's out there and they have some of the better triggers and chambers. (My pick)

The 444/444S (S Stands for sporter) has a 22" Micro-Groove 1-38 twist barrel, pistol grip buttstock, early models had the barrel band on the forearm and narrow hammers, latter ones had the thicker hammer and the new style forearm retainer,and they changed the lifter somewhere in there and they added checkering on the stocks.

444SS (SS stands for sporter and crossbolt safety) 22" barrel, pistol grip buttstock, and crossbolt safety. Around 1999 they went from the Micro-Groove 1-38 twist to the Ballard 1-20 twist rifling.

444P was the same as a 444SS but with a 18.5" ported barrel ballard 1-20 twist, I dont think they made any un-ported ones.

444XLR is there newest offering, 24" barrel ballard 1-20 twist, Stainless Steel, laminated stocks, and a few extra goodies to handle the Lever Evolution ammo, it should have been called "Leverlution".

As for price it all depends on where you live, it seems $300.00 and up is about right........................................................................Marko

#5 ·
I got my 1972 444S for $350 through this forum. By the time I fixed a couple of things on it I could have bought a new one but I still like the deal because mine doesn't have the crossbolt safety.

One thing to consider: if you need to replace the hammer on a 444 Marlin, parts for the older ones are a little hard to find. Marlin only stocks hammers for the crossbolt type. And there were two types of hammers for the older models. They are not interchangeable. I needed one and found it after lots of web surfing. Finally some whining on this forum paid off.

All that aside, I love my 444S with Weaver K3 on top.

#8 ·
Ditto what Dawei said here for in Central Oklahoma and that is waaaay too cheap. Folks do not understand the inherent accuracy of the .444 and that microgoove barrels shoot cast boolits wonderfully.

Dave 8)

#9 ·
I found another one today (late 80's early 90's) for $329.99.
There's one on another forum that's a '88 model and he's asking $375 with a cheap scope.
Both seem to be in line with what you guys are telling me.
I may still hold out for one without the safety. Don't have any with safeties right now.

#10 ·
WFR said:
I found another one today (late 80's early 90's) for $329.99.
There's one on another forum that's a '88 model and he's asking $375 with a cheap scope.
Both seem to be in line with what you guys are telling me.
I may still hold out for one without the safety. Don't have any with safeties right now.
Don't let the safety hold you back; for $12.00 & this it disappears: http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/crossbolt_safety.htm BTW......... Where are you located?

#11 ·
Marlin 444 - Fetch'n Price

Hey All:

A decent Marlin 444 xxx (insert your model) will fetch 350 to 400 in these parts...

I'll sell my Custom 444s (corrected, its a 444s) for $1000.00 standing offer... :wink:

Have a Good One!

#12 ·
I just spend $375 on the rifle itself, $420 after shipping, insurance, and FFL fees. If I read the reference section here right, it was built in 1968, the serial no. starts with 68 followed by a space and the rest of the number. Fantastic rifle, wood is nice, and just enough wear on the bluing in a few areas to give it character. The wood has already been refinished once, so thinking about striping and oil-finishing.

Tim

Will post pictures soon as I can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.