View Poll Results: Would you a buy a new Remington made Marlin if they brought back the 444?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, I would buy any new Rem. made Marlin if they get the quality control issues solved.

46 41.44%
  • yes, but only if they re-introduced the 444

12 10.81%
  • No, I'd never buy a Remington made Marlin

53 47.75%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Poll: Would you buy a new Remington made 444?

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Honestly I would like to see any pistol cal on the shelves. I don't need another 336 in 30-30 but one in 44mag or 454 I could really use.
    mt_sourdough and dek16001 like this.
    Guns don't kill people, gun free zones kill people.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I would not,as there are plenty of older Jm marlins available.
    mt_sourdough and MGSchindel like this.
    - Fran-

Better to be thought of as an idiot,than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    As an owner of a 336W, a 336Y, and a 1895G that were all made by Remington as well as several Marlins made by Marlin, I would say yes to the question at hand. There is nothing wrong with the quality of the brand. Yes, they may have had some hiccups during the transition but the problems have been solved and my three NY made Marlins are fine, good shooting guns. I'm not going to pick from one of the three chosen answers on the poll because even the most positive choice has it hinging on improvement of quality. Where we all have room for improvement and should strive to do so, the quality is already there. Now they just have to start back making the 444. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and feelings to anything. If someone chooses not to buy a NY made Marlin, that's perfectly fine. Sometimes things get out of hand though and folks start spouting things just because of "hurt" feelings. That's where we are with folks talking about Marlin and their quality level. It has become Marlin Bashing. I will not partake in that. If they were substandard I would say so but they are not. Like it or not, Marlin is made at the Remington plant. That's the way it is. Like it or not, the quality is fine. Long story short, I would buy a 444 in a heartbeat if they started back making it.
    mt_sourdough likes this.
    Member #25324
    * Team 45/70 #530 * Team 30-30 #510 * Team 60 #77
    * Georgia Marlin Owners Group Member #1 * Guide Gun & Outfitter Owners Association Member #14
    * Marlin League Member #102 * Bangin Blackhawks Member #6
    * The 2nd. is the reason why we still have all of the amendments!
    * Uva Uvam Videndo Varia Fit
    * Non Timebo Mala
    * 1895G (NY) * 336C(CT) * 336W(NY) * 336Y(NY) * 60(CT) * 336W(CT)
    * Marlinitis symptoms 1,2,3,4,5,10,12,17,18,21,22,28,30,35
    Love those Marlins! And those 1911s!

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Yes, they had problems with manufacturing and assembly. It happens. But when they still tried to sell the obviously defective products, they lost the trust of the customers. If they want the product to continue, it's going to take a while for them to regain that trust. After all, when you purchase the product, you do a visual inspection & work the action. But what you can not tell is if the chamber & barrel is in spec and the mechanics work right until you get to shoot it. That's where the trust & confidence in the manufacture comes in. You don't want to be disappointed at the range or even lose an eye.
    deerhog, mt_sourdough and dpe.ahoy like this.
    Look at a wolf, look at a deer, look at a human, look at a black bear. The 30-30 was designed to be the most efficient caliber to down any of them within the range you would most commonly encounter such creatures.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    If I was In The market for a 444, and marlin (Remington) was producing them again, and I checked it over, yes I would buy one. I've posted in some other threads lately, I have checked out 16 brand new marlins and all have been flawless, straight sights, good wood/metal fit, and very smooth actions. As for the finish, it doesn't bother me, and for those that dislike it, that's fine but it doesn't mean the quality sucks just because you don't like the laminate wood, pressed checkering, and matte finish. Just my two cents.
    mt_sourdough likes this.
    "i'm just a peckerwood that lives in the hills with too many guns"
    KCCO

Team 45-70 member# 985
    Marlin League member# 144
    Team Bangin' Blackhawks# 5
    Team 30-30 member# 836
    Team .35 member# 472
    PA Levermen
    Team 35Rem. Advantage-"our threads bigger than your thread"

Contributing Member
    Member #
    To be honest If rem. starts producing 444XLR again I will take a good look. Its gotta be the next best thing to a 405 Winchester without modifying the rifles and then some. I'm sorry I didn't take the opportunity when I had it. It probably would have been better than buying a 338 exp. [no I'm not trading my 338MX] I have what I have.

T NY
    mt_sourdough likes this.
    My Avatar is my brother John who left me to soon. He was 10 Y/O 1 month older than me. He took me off the Streets of Brooklyn taught me how to handle a rifle and to hunt. For his attention I would always be grateful. Rest in Peace Brother John.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    No. I don't like the way Cerebrus treated the Marlin employees and I dont like Remington Lever action rifles. I don't like the finish, the checkering, the cracked receivers, the crooked sights, barrel droop, gritty actions, levers that won't close, stocks pounded on crooked, and so forth and so on.

All that coupled with the fact that there are many real Marlin rifles available makes it an easy decision for me.
    mt_sourdough and MGSchindel like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    My previuos post was just an honest answer to a simple question.Im not trying to pee on anybodys cheerios,Im just a vintage Marlin guy.Im also glad that some of you are getting good guns from Remlin.To me there is no comparison,for me that is.Im all for anybody getting what they want.There are plenty of vintage Marlins out there for sale,and that is where I will spend my dough.
    MGSchindel likes this.
    - Fran-

Better to be thought of as an idiot,than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by deerhog View Post
    My previuos post was just an honest answer to a simple question.Im not trying to pee on anybodys cheerios,Im just a vintage Marlin guy.Im also glad that some of you are getting good guns from Remlin.To me there is no comparison,for me that is.Im all for anybody getting what they want.There are plenty of vintage Marlins out there for sale,and that is where I will spend my dough.
    Same goes for my earlier post, just the opposite side of the spectrum to an extent. I love my '51 336 sc, but I love my '12 1895gbl too. I just want to let folks know I've been seein some really good ones.
    dpe.ahoy likes this.
    "i'm just a peckerwood that lives in the hills with too many guns"
    KCCO

Team 45-70 member# 985
    Marlin League member# 144
    Team Bangin' Blackhawks# 5
    Team 30-30 member# 836
    Team .35 member# 472
    PA Levermen
    Team 35Rem. Advantage-"our threads bigger than your thread"

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I vote yes if it recomence production of 444xlr and proper finish. I have a marlin JM de1982 and hunting is good

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links