+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Marlin 336W Review

Tinhorn
    Member #

Marlin 336W Review

Other then a single shot 22 rifle, I had not owned any other guns. So with the upcoming civil war/revolution, I decided that I need to invest in something a bit more powerful. I was looking for something cost effective, for both the gun and ammunition. I decided upon a lever action 30-30 rifle. I like the nostalgia of a lever action rifle, plus it will hold 6+1 rounds.

I narrowed down my choices to a Marlin 336W or Mossberg 464, both available at my local Academy Sports & Outdoors store. After weeks of researching reviews on the internet, I decided to get the Marlin. And as most of you already know, the reviews for the Marlin (aka Remlin) are mixed. But it seemed the more recent the reviews, the better. So two days ago I bought my new rifle from Academy for $359.00 plus tax.

Academy - Marlin® 336W .30-30 Win. Lever-Action Rifle

I would like to add that the following posts were probably the most helpful in making my decision. And now I want to post my experience so that others considering this rifle will have something else to review when making their decision.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/33...satisfied.html

Remlin 336w review

I have only shot a few rounds, but I must say there were absolutely no problems. I bought a box of Remington Core-Lokt 150-GR ($14.99) and a box of Monarch 150-GR ($12.99). I figured the Remington would work fine, but wanted to try the Monarch simply due to the price. And I am happy to report the Monarch worked very well in this rifle, at least this first box.

Marlinjunkie likes this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Wow, for a 336W that stock actually looks pretty nice. All of the ones I see seem to look more like the gun pictured on the academy ad. Yours looks darker and has better grain than the ones I have looked at in past (when I first saw your picture, the forend almost looked like the laminate stock on my 336BL).

Congrats on what looks to be a pretty nice 336. For $359, I'm actually thinking about picking one up as well - for a spare. I have a few Marlins of Remington manufacture and have not had any real issues. In fact the issues I did have were with the later production JM Marlins that I bought.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I have completely polished and smoothed the action on mine and I love it. It shoots very straight. Elk season now, deer next week.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Ed Jean,

First, I see by your post that this is your first one, so welcome to MarlinOwners! From the picture and your shooting experience it looks like you got a very nice one. Congratulations! Thanks for the pictures. We like pictures!
    NRA
    VFW Life Member
    101st Airborne Division Assoc. Life Member
    Team 35 # 61
    Team .45/70 # 1051
    Marlin League # 188

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." Mahatma Gandhi

Wrangler
    Member #
    Congratulations on purchasing a Marlin. Sounds like you got a good one. Thanks for posting an informative review to help the rest of us. ...now I'm thinking maybe I need another Marlin just like yours?

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    My son has one as well. Nice blue collar lever. He`s taken several deer with it. I guess you can say,he`s as happy as a tick on a fat dog.
    The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    The reason that the stock looks better than the birch that was being used is because Remington used the laminated stock material like is on the newer 870 shotguns. I like it, and I like the black bolt too. Nice looking rifle.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Yes, I believe a got a good one.

When I first looked at them, about a month or so ago, Academy only had one in stock and it was on display. The sites were centered and the screw heads were perfect. (I only mention this because some of the bad reviews of the Remlin mention crooked sites and goobered up screws).

But it had a snap-tie installed keeping the lever from cycling, and they would not remove it. So I was concerned that I could not get the feel of it. But after reading the more recent, positive reviews, I went to get it anyway. Well, that one was gone, but they had two more still in boxes. The first one he pulled out was not tied, so I got to open and close the lever. I really did not know what to expect, but it felt okay to me, so I bought it.

I cleaned it out using the instructions and a couple of good videos I found on YouTube. Right or wrong, I used the RemOil and a Hoppe’s bore snake.

Like I said earlier, it cycled both the Remington and Monarch bullets fine. In fact, my 14 year old daughter asked to shoot it, so I let her take a try. The lever cycled for her with little effort! The target below was about 30 yards away. Now my problem will be convincing her to just shoot the .22 single shot rifle!

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Nice gun there sir. You'll love that gun for a long time to come.
    Member #25324
    * Team 45/70 #530 * Team 30-30 #510 * Team 60 #77
    * Georgia Marlin Owners Group Member #1 * Guide Gun & Outfitter Owners Association Member #14
    * Marlin League Member #102 * Bangin Blackhawks Member #6
    * The 2nd. is the reason why we still have all of the amendments!
    * Uva Uvam Videndo Varia Fit
    * Non Timebo Mala
    * 1895G (NY) * 336C(CT) * 336W(NY) * 336Y(NY) * 60(CT) * 336W(CT)
    * Marlinitis symptoms 1,2,3,4,5,10,12,17,18,21,22,28,30,35
    Love those Marlins! And those 1911s!

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Very nice post and very nice rifle! John
    "Windage and elevation, Mrs Langdon. Always remember, windage and elevation!" John Wayne as John Henry Thomas in The Undefeated

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links