+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Advice on marlin 30-30. New vs older vintage model

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Advice on marlin 30-30. New vs older vintage model

So I have wanted a lever action rifle for a while, pretty much only gun type I dont have.

Looking into getting a marlin 30-30. Looking for some advice.

A friend is selling a 30-30 that was made in 1966 Has the Deer carving in the stock. Looks like was made for speigels departmant stores think its 336RC. Has a scope on it and is supposed to be in really good shape.
    So can anybody give me a idea on a good price for that gun. If its a decent model in your opinion.

I was also wondering if its better to just buy a brand new 30-30, they dont seem to be that expensive. But someone I was talking to said they were made better back then and the quality isnt that great in past few years.

Any help would be appreciated.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Well, the '66 Regular Carbine is a great gun. While the newer model Remingtons seem to be improving, the jury's still out on them. They've had some issues. There's no question that the quality of workmanship and material is better on the older models. I, personally, would pay more for an older Marlin than a new Remlin. The deer carving models were true Marlins marketed to stores like Sears, Speigels, Wards, etc. They are fine guns and, given that there were far fewer manufactured, have a certain collectable value.

The only thing about a used gun is that it may have a problem that you may not be aware of (and there's no warranty). If it was misused, or left to rust, it could be a problem. If you are familiar with guns, check it out thoroughly. Look at the action, remove the bolt and check the bore, and look at the ejector. The amount of wear on the ejector is an easy view of how much the gun was used. If you're not comfortable doing this, take along someone who is (or check out Youtube clips on field stripping). In most cases, 30-30s were bought for deer hunting and shot infrequently. Rarely do they have significant problems. And if it does have a problem, you can usually get it easily fixed with advice from this site.

If it's in good shape, $300 would be a good price. If it's in really good shape, you could go up to $350. The value of the scope is marginal, unless you are planning on using the gun with that scope. In that case you could go up another $25.

And keep in mind that this is only my opinion, and I have not even seen a picture of the gun. You are wise to ask, and listen carefully to what others here have to say.

And welcome to MarlinOwners! - this is a great place full of friendly and knowledgeable folks.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    With any gun purchase, look and check the gun over before buying it. I have a mixture of new and older Marlins. All of those guns are good guns. You could just get the older one that you're looking at and a new one too, lol! That way, you don't have to make such a tough decision.
    MJAJohnson likes this.
    Member #25324
    * Team 45/70 #530 * Team 30-30 #510 * Team 60 #77
    * Georgia Marlin Owners Group Member #1 * Guide Gun & Outfitter Owners Association Member #14
    * Marlin League Member #102 * Bangin Blackhawks Member #6
    * The 2nd. is the reason why we still have all of the amendments!
    * Uva Uvam Videndo Varia Fit
    * Non Timebo Mala
    * 1895G (NY) * 336C(CT) * 336W(NY) * 336Y(NY) * 60(CT) * 336W(CT)
    * Marlinitis symptoms 1,2,3,4,5,10,12,17,18,21,22,28,30,35
    Love those Marlins! And those 1911s!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I would definitely buy the used 1966 Marlin if it has a decent bore and it feeds/ejects properly. I'd offer him $200 and go as high as $300.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I know enough to check it over before I buy.

I was just trying to get the general value and any opinions on the older marlin. I was thinking $325-350 if in pretty good shape like tomjohn also said. Hes thinking its worth 375-400

I wouldnt need two of these rifles. with the cost of 30-30 ammo being what it is its not something im going to use often, and I used to think it was expensive to shoot my m1 garand.

This just kinda popped up on me, have wanted a lever action this just made me finally start looking into them

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    With a Marlin 336....older is better than new. Without a doubt. No cross bolt safety. No fit and finish issues to speak of.
    Plus, the over all value is greater. Not by a lot but some. You can go to GunBroker and check out what models are going for on the open market. If you get it ...........you can`t go wrong. That`s if the over all condition is good as you can`t hide ...rough shape.
    The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    JMHO, I'd go with your friends 336, Speigels Marlins are some what rare to find, just interesting to own one. I went full circle back to lever guns, would only buy an older Marlin.

My son purchased a new 336 in 2009, terrible screws, even using gunsmith screw drivers the screw heads chip and crack, not burr like old screws, the actually chip and crack along the slot. I've been told the screws are made in China or some place even though the gun is sold as made in USA. Corporate types always looking to save a few pennies.
    "old age and trickery will beat youth and strength"
    "Murphy's Law, what can go wrong will go wrong"

Veteran, NRA Member
    Team Old Pharts #117
    Team 60 #123
    Tean 3030 #673……Got me an old Winny

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    The 1966 is going to work, and maybe the new one won't. Check them both out and on the 1966 shoot it before you buy it.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Prices/values of older model used Marlin rifles in good condition have risen since the acquisition of the gunworks by Remington; and with the increasing prices of new Marlin levers, and the limited production of the Speigal model usually gives that model an added price premium. I've seen the Speigal models sell for as little as $200 and listed as high as $950 on gun auction and dealer web sites. Some people like the funky deer head stock medallion, and some don't; but Marlin lever rifles from this period are usually excellent quality.pop_wm_2958216.jpg

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Finally got together with friend to look at the rifle.

Turns out it was a Glenfield 30A. Made in 1981.
    Not sure how he thought it was a speigel. Showed him pics and he said it was speigel.

So anyways. It was in really good shape, no marks on stock or receiver/barrel. Functioned and shot fine.

Did quick google seaerch on phone for value and ended up offering $250 as in good shape came with scope, sling and case.
    Not sure if that was a good price or not but over with now.

Now to find some cheap 30-30 ammo if that exists.
    LT likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links