+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: New .35 Remington Brass Has Arrived

Wrangler
    Member #

New .35 Remington Brass Has Arrived

HI: I have a question for all you .35 Remington reloaders. I just got 50 rounds of .35 Remington brass from Midway. It looks good, some of the openings aren't perfectly round. Should I full-length resize all of these first? What's the best procedure to follow? I got some good advice from you guys on neck sizing my .35 Remington brass so they would chamber easier.

Anyway, this is the first time I've bought new brass for my .35. Don't want to mess them up right off the bat or mess up the shoulder. Thanks in advance.

SEMPER FI

DRSLYR

Deadeye
    Member #
    I always full length resize new brass. Even if it left the factory perfect , it can be dented , dinged, etc.. In fact I do all reloading steps on new brass except cleaning . I resize , ream out primer holes (only has to be done once), campher inside and out, and even once in a while have to trim some new brass after resizing.
    DRSLYR and Cedarswamp like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ-5 View Post
    I always full length resize new brass. Even if it left the factory perfect , it can be dented , dinged, etc.. In fact I do all reloading steps on new brass except cleaning . I resize , ream out primer holes (only has to be done once), campher inside and out, and even once in a while have to trim some new brass after resizing.
    Excellent advice and a procedure I do myself!!
    358 Win
    DRSLYR likes this.
    Thump em with a .35 caliber and they stay
    thumped. Team 35 member #17. Team 30-30 member # 98. Team .32 Special #5. NRA Life Member. USN 7/10/69 - 12/6/73. Operation Homecoming Staff, Clark Air Base, Philippines.
    Master Mason, Porter Lodge #284, 10th Masonic District.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I do the same with new brass. I haven't had to trim any but I always full length resize it.
    DRSLYR likes this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    I say just run it over the expander ball to straighten out the neck dents. Then load, fire, anneal, clean and do all that other stuff mentioned. That once-fired case is now ready for proper die fitting and accuracy.
    DRSLYR likes this.
    Participating in a gun buy-back program is like having yourself castrated because your neighbors have too many kids.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMal View Post
    I say just run it over the expander ball to straighten out the neck dents. Then load, fire, anneal, clean and do all that other stuff mentioned. That once-fired case is now ready for proper die fitting and accuracy.
    Same thing I do, gets em ready to go just fine. DP
    DRSLYR likes this.
    TEAM 444 #187, Team 35 #7, Two Marlin 1894Cs, Remlin 1894C, 1894-44mag, 1952 Marlin 30-30, 1966 Texan 30-30. Glenfield 36G & two 30A's 30-30, 30-30 XLR, , five- 35rem. 1951 SC, 1952 SC, 1957, 1975 and 2008, 38-55 CB, M-375, 308 MX, 338MXLR, 444P, 444SS, , XS-7 22-250, XS-7 7mm-08 AI,

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ-5 View Post
    This is good advice But don't agree with from firing new brass for a 35R. not necessary. But would ad when I use NIB. brass I do all mention by CJ-5. But if necessary I'll trim off .005" below suggested trim length so that my bullet seat-er die adjusted to crimp will uniformly crimp. If you are using a Lee Factory crimp die it's not necessary because a LFC. die is forgiving and won't push in the shoulders.

TNY

PS although I don't agree with from firing NIB. 35R. brass and my reason is it's not necessary. Millions of 35 Rem. factory ammo have been fired through the years and all virgin brass used. I have never from fired virgin brass for a 35R. and have loaded hundreds of virgin brass (not counting fired brass) without a problem in any respect. I don't disagree with from firing NIB or brass of unknown chambers if you feel it to be necessary for your rifle. As said by Timray 35 Remington may have a good opinion if it is necessary.
    Last edited by 308/338; 08-16-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Add a PS.
    DRSLYR likes this.
    My Avatar is my brother John who left me to soon. He was 10 Y/O 1 month older than me. He took me off the Streets of Brooklyn taught me how to handle a rifle and to hunt. For his attention I would always be grateful. Rest in Peace Brother John.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I agree with CaptMal and DP. Ahoy.........................New brass, I neck size only, to be able to set the bullet.

Once fired brass from an unknown chamber, I FL size............After fireing that in my rifle, I neck size only.

In checking the OA length, its seems that Neck Sized brass doesn't grow in length.............I can't remember the last time I needed to trim 35 Rem brass, and I check the length before each reload.

Also, the 35 Rem headspaces on the small shoulder, so if you only neck size, you avoid the chance of setting the shoulder back, and getting misfires from light FP strikes.

This has always worked for very well me. If you want more info, I suggest contacting 35 Remington.........he has made a science of reloading the 35 Rem.

Tom
    DRSLYR likes this.
    NRA LIFE
    CCDL

Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Agree w/ CaptMal, I also do check length but never had a problem, it's just something I do cuz I'm anal.
    DRSLYR likes this.
    Went down the hill, other day
    Soul got happy and stayed all day

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I always neck size new brass....my last bag of Winchester brass for my 35 was not the best, all the necks were messed up.
    DRSLYR likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links