+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How do I know which 336 I have!

Tinhorn
    Member #

Question How do I know which 336 I have!

I have seen so many different models of 336 talked about here. Last night I traded for one. According to the serial number it is a 1977 production. 336 in 30-30, PG stock, 20" barrel and the mag tube is as long as the barrel. Not really a light wood color or a dark, sort of a medium but you can see the grain in it well. It has a barrel band about 2" from the muzzle and then a kind of half barrel band with a sling stud about an inch back from that. It also has a barrel band a little over an inch back from the start of the forearm stock. Blued with a Gold trigger. No rear sling stud but it has the black and white target looking thing about where a sling stud would be, other than the half cock hammer and the fully closed lever there is not a visible safety. It has the JM rollmark on the left side of the barrel right in front of the receiver on the left side and in front of that it says the Standard Marlin Firearms Co. New Haven Conn. Est 1870 Model 336 cal 30-30. I havent checked to see how many she will hold, I wonder what kind of wood stock it is. The front sight is missing and the back is missing its elevator and the folding mechanism is junk. It had a scope on it with super tall mounts. I removed the scope and the scope rail. I ordered screws to fill the holes and a new lever screw cause this one is buggered up. I also ordered new sights for it. Eventually I will have either a tang sight or a receiver sight for it. Trying to decide whether to refinish the wood or paint it camo or buy a new stock for it. I thought the carbine had a shorter barrel and I know there is a rifle with a longer barrel. I have just wanted a 336 since I first laid eyes on one 40 years or so ago and traded a 10-22 for it last night and hadnt put much into the 10-22 so I think I made out. I got it from my cousin and I dont have any clue where he got it from but the scope was set so far back that I had to hold the rifle 3 inches away from my shoulder in order to shoot it but it shoots real nice, any help would be greatly appreciated.020-1.jpg015-2.jpg013-1.jpg
    The More I Learn, the Less I Know!!

Team 30-30 #655
    Marlin 336 30-30
    Marlin/Glenfield Model 60
    Marlin 795

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Hello Oneyeopn,and welcome to Marlin Owners! I will tell you that you way got the better end of that trade.Around these parts that gun is worth in the $400 range,as it is a nice example of a vintage pre safety carbine.The wood on your rifle is american walnut ,and before you paint it,you could sell it here and buy yourself a replacement set of synthetic camo if you so choose.There are many reciever sights available for you to choose from if you decide to go that route.Good luck with your new rifle.
    oneyeopn likes this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    It is probably a 336C. It is my understanding that if a letter designation is not behind the 336 it is a C. If it was a RC it would say 336 RC or a sporting Carbine 336 SC. Hope this helps. C stands for Carbine and RC stands for Regular Carbine.
    oneyeopn likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    The Stock has some dings in it, I know they will steam out but what would a stock like this one bring, I would be very happy with a synthetic camo stock. I plan on hunting with this gun. I didnt buy it to hang on a wall and I find the synthetic take way more usage than a nice wood one does. I have refinished a few stock and they always end up looking very nice but then I become afraid to take the gun to the woods. heck I would trade it.

Team 30-30 #655
    Marlin 336 30-30
    Marlin 795

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Welcome to Marlin Owners. After you get 25 posts you can list it on this site and I'm sure you will have no problem selling the stock and forearm. There is a camo stock on ebay now for a 336 if your looking to buy.
    oneyeopn likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Welcome. You made out like a bandit. Sounds like a "C" (carbine) which in days gone by was an "RC" (regular carcine). The folding rear sight needs the elevator to work properly. Enjoy. jack
    oneyeopn likes this.
    Jack.

This I-pad knows what I want to say and how to spell better than I do. Sometimes I catch it's mistakes, sometimes I don't.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I have thought about this overnight. A lever action is supposed to have a wood stock, a wood looking wood stock. So I think I will just refinish it and give it a good tung oil hand rubbed finish.
    Cascade Jinx likes this.

Team 30-30 #655
    Marlin 336 30-30
    Marlin 795

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Great idea oneyeopn. Although there are a lot of Marlin owners that are sad that you're not selling the wood. Including me. Good luck and you won't be sorry you kept the wood.
    oneyeopn likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Welcome to Marlin Owners!! +1 for all comments above.
    oneyeopn likes this.
    Team 30-30 #618
    Texas Levergunners
    Marlin League #106
    Team 1894 #231

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by oneyeopn View Post
    I have thought about this overnight. A lever action is supposed to have a wood stock, a wood looking wood stock. So I think I will just refinish it and give it a good tung oil hand rubbed finish.
    Now your thinking with your dip stick Jimmy!!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links