+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: What is the serial number cut-off when Marlin went to Remington?

Deadeye
    Member #
    So, there is no number available? Just the REM or JM stamp?
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson." Life member of NRA, USPSA, ISRA, AF&AM #294, LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years now retired!

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Bringing this back up... for additional clarification. I am not sure I get any consistency from what I just read.

I'll add mine to the mix

I did buy this one new in the box in April of 2009.

Serial number starts with 92XXXXXX Right side of Barrel roll mark shows New Haven Connecticut but oval with JM on LEFT side (same side as the roll mark). This appears to be a true Marlin made in CT gun. However add that a 336 with a serial range starting with 92 was built, delivered and sold in early 09.

To add to that, an Xs7 I just bought that was used. Shows a Kentucky made roll mark and serial number starts with MM. An oval with REP inside it on the RIGHT side of the barrel (opposite side from the roll mark) with a 6 in front of that oval (outside the oval). I don't know the age of this one but it obviously must be a Remington overseen unit?
    Last edited by cphilip; 11-25-2012 at 09:23 PM.
    www.cphilip.com

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I have personally examined two Remlins with JM stamped barrels. Both used guns with 91XXXX serial numbers. I know that they were Remlins because the JM was obviously a fake and there was faint evidence of the REP being polished off and re-blued. At first glance the JM looked authentic but with no oval, then closer examination showed the letters to be of a different font. BEWARE - fakes are showing up.

The JM proof can be on either left or right side of a real Marlin.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JBledsoe View Post

I have personally examined two Remlins with JM stamped barrels. Both used guns with 91XXXX serial numbers. I know that they were Remlins because the JM was obviously a fake and there was faint evidence of the REP being polished off and re-blued. At first glance the JM looked authentic but with no oval, then closer examination showed the letters to be of a different font. BEWARE - fakes are showing up.

The JM proof can be on either left or right side of a real Marlin.
    Hard for me to believe someone would go to this expense but, I'll take your word on this.
    Steve
    Just J likes this.
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson." Life member of NRA, USPSA, ISRA, AF&AM #294, LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years now retired!

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by skmarsh77 View Post
    To really be on the safe side stick to serial numbers that start with 93. they still had left over barrels with the jm stamp even after the move and I believe those 91 numbered receivers were used in 2010 also. So to be on the safe side I now only buy pre freedom group/cerebus. 93 and older for me.

SKM,

NO!..........NOT TRUE..........The JM Proof stamp is now unique to any rifle assembled and proofed in North Haven. The Stamp is NOT applied to barrels not yet assembled.

We (Marlin workers) did send a large quantitiy of "Parts" to Ilion, to be assembled there, and yes, those barrels sent, did have North Haven Roll marks, but the Proof Mark was not present at that stage of the process............................

Ilion either never received the JM Proof stamp gun?..........Or, they didn't know what it was?................Or they decided to unify all rifles proofed at the remington plant with the REP marking.

Your suggestion to look for 93XX or older numbered rifles is on the mark.............That would insure a North Haven rifle, that was most likely NOT made in the Assy Cell, but completely made by one gunsmith......That rifle will have some unique assembly markings within the receiver parts that identify the gunsmith that built that rifle.........

Tom
    Last edited by Tomray; 11-26-2012 at 06:30 AM.
    dpe.ahoy and oleroy like this.
    NRA LIFE
    CCDL

Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Mr Tom..... please explain your term.... " Assy Cell"............... Thanks....

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ac_Man1962 View Post
    Mr Tom..... please explain your term.... " Assy Cell"............... Thanks....
    Sure....................I'd be happy to..............

The Assy Cell, or as I should have typed it..........Ass'y Cell, were the Six Sigma driven Assembly Cells that FGI forced into play in North Haven.......to bolster the profit line

Originally, BFGI, (BEFORE FGI) each rifle was assembled from start to finish, and primarily tested, by one of a number of gunsmiths.........That man had complete control of that rifle........

When the Assy (Ass'y) Cells were incepted........... All stools and chairs were taken away, and six or more workers were forced to stand for 8-10 hrs a day in a circular Cell, and each worker did a little bit on each rifle, and then passed it to the next man...........

Those standing men had to complete one rifle every 135 Seconds, or they weren't working fast enough, and things got tougher for them!...........Usually then, the supervisor of the cell got a verbal "Dress Down".and then he had to "Motivate" his friends and co-workers in the Cell......................If there were parts shortages, and there frequently were..(Don't forget that workers were being cut in every area every week, in the quest for MORE profits)......The Cell was closed down and the workers were sent home!................It's hard to feed a family and pay for other things under those working conditions!

If a Cell worker needed to go to the bathroom (Can)..............he couldn't leave his position in the Cell, until a replacement stepped into line for him..........(In the Cell, NOT the Can!)..........................

Sorta' reminded me of those Roman Galleys in old movies.....The only thing that was missing was the Drummer!......Nah!.......I'm not old enough to have actually seen a Roman Galley, but then..........sometimes, I feel old enough!

Oh,........ and every time a "completed" rifle was passed out of the Cell, it was recorded on real time TV, so the Idiots in Ilion would stay abreast of how things were progressing!..If things were going good.............they increased the rifle/day quota, but without any more workers being added...........

It made me very uncomfortable to see my friends and co-workers subjected to those sorts of working conditions in these so-called modern times...........

Remington and FGI.....................I'll NEVER buy ANYTHING they make, ever again!

Hope I've answered your question........

Tom
    Last edited by Tomray; 11-26-2012 at 08:19 PM.
    NRA LIFE
    CCDL

Deadeye
    Member #
    Ya, I hear ya. My wife works for ATK (speer,CCI). They spent thousands of dallors to time all the machines used in production. The workers were then told they had to achieve 98% of that or it was a failure for the shift/crew that was working. The problem is that the machines never get tired or have to go to the bathroom!!!! Also working with explosive primer mix & powder is very stressfull already. The chargers are in their own cells in case the mix goes BOOM. The roof is designed to lift up in an explosion. Mix has to stay wet but not too wet.

The employees tried to tell them that Blount(owners before ATK) had tried that before & safety/accidents went way up & quality went down. Some times they would have to scrap the whole shift run because QC went south. One thing law enforcement & the millitary will not accept is missfires & failures to feed. They lost quite a few contracts before they WOKE_UP. They also went through alot of workers but they don't really care. There are always more to fill the void even though you have to train all those new people all the time & lose all that experience. It just doesn't make any sence to me.

John
    Tomray and dpe.ahoy like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    So by your statements, these so called cells started in 2008?.... Thus guns produced before 2008 was made mostly by one worker.... correct?

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ac_Man1962 View Post
    So by your statements, these so called cells started in 2008?.... Thus guns produced before 2008 was made mostly by one worker.... correct?
    NO......... I recall the 336 Assembly Cell went into play in July or August of 2009...................

(I originally said 2008, but I think I was wroung. Remington came into the pictire in 2008, and they left things alonne for about a year........the Cells were started in the summer of 2009. I apologize for the error, but these dates are all MEANINGLESS to me, now.........So I mis-called the date in the original post......Sorry)

Tom
    Last edited by Tomray; 11-30-2012 at 07:43 AM. Reason: correction
    NRA LIFE
    CCDL

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links