+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SteedGun
  • 1 Post By JayinAZ

Thread: 336, 35 Rem Cal.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Smile 336, 35 Rem Cal.

Hey Anybody out there know what the advantages of the 336 in 35 Cal, has over 30-30, as far as recoil feel?

Gun Wizard
    Utah - A Gun Friendly Place. Yes, I am ask away.
    Member #
    Recoil? What recoil. Both my 30-30 and 35 Rem are easy shooters. Slight nudge is what I would call it. If I had to give up one I would give up the 30-30 as my 35 Rem is much more accurate with a larger bullet and better ballistics than the 30-30.
    jdp likes this.
    Klaatu, barada nikto...
    And if that does not work, Molon Labe!

NRA Life Member
    COTEP #0494

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Would you know what the 336 in the 35 Caliber would run for NEW Condition? I looked them up and I found them for 500.00, I looked up cleanin kits wich one would you recomend sir?

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    JDP,

Before you go further be sure to go to the Marlin Rant area of this forum to learn all about the new Marlins (Remlins) being made now. You could get a good one, I did in 45-70 or your could get one that requires a lot of work like my 45 Rem and 30-30. The best situation would be to find a 35 Rem with a JM stamp (real Marlin) that is not too beat up. I don't know where you are so I would recommend prowling on www.gunbroker.com for a while to learn pricing of a real JM gun. You can learn how to tell if it is a JM gun by reading the posts in the Marlin Rant section. Also, if you find a gun and don't know post the first 2 digits of the serial number here and you can get some quick answers.

As for cleaning kits I buy pieces, not kits. All the kits I have bought over the years are not that great. Let's get you the right gun first then we can get the cleaning part down as well. I am too tired tonight to walk down and look at the brands of rods, brushes, stuff I use. Send me a PM and I will be happy to detail all that for you tomorrow.
    Klaatu, barada nikto...

NRA Life Member
    COTEP #0494

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    For example. Here is one on Gunbroker that appears to be a real JM NIB (new in the box). If you like this look and style I would send the seller a message and ask them what the first 2 digits of the serial number are:

MARLIN 336XLR 24" LAM SS 35 REM NIB 20 ship : Lever Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

Then post up the SN digits here and you will get a quick answer about when it was built and if it is a real Marlin or Remlin.
    Klaatu, barada nikto...

NRA Life Member
    COTEP #0494

Tinhorn
    Member #
    How would i get to the Marlin rant section of this page, I'm new to this website just joined yesterday.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    You need to read the .35 Rem and .30-30 advantage threads, in their entirety
    jdp likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    jdp, check the 7th thread down in this section, that is the Rant section, it expalins lots of things. If you decide to disassemble your Marlin Please get a set of gunsmith screwdrivers. Gunsmith's driver will help prevent buggered up screw heads and gouged blueing. Take care, John.
    Just keep on keeping on.
    It's not what you do, it's how you do what you do, that counts.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skills.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp View Post
    Would you know what the 336 in the 35 Caliber would run for NEW Condition? I looked them up and I found them for 500.00, I looked up cleanin kits wich one would you recomend sir?
    There are new Marlin's, and them that looks like new. I have a set in .35/.30-30 that look very much like NIB. I bought them over the last three years for a total of $515. They were both made in the early '80's and were safe queens.

Cleaning kits are a fast way to get set up, but a good coated rod, and a selection of jags and brushes for your caliber cost the same, and are usually of much better quality.

The advantage with the .35 is the bigger bullet, the advantage with the .30-30 is a flatter trajectory. .30-30 ammo is far less expensive, and much easier to find. The real advantages of either are more in the realm of theory than reality. If you see either on a rack, in good condition at a good price, it immediately moves to "Best" category.
    Last edited by TMan51; 02-16-2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: spelling

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp View Post
    I bought a new 336c last fall for $439. 30-30 would have been $10-20 less, as I recall.
    Randy
    336c .35 Remington
    XS7 Stainless 7mm-08

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links