+ Reply to Thread

Tenderfoot
    Member #

125gr FNHP (30-30)

I have a chance to move to the Southwest in the next 6 months. I shoot 150gr bullets in my 336 now but was wondering if anyone could tell me from past experience about the penatration of the 125gr FNHP on deer? I also was wondering if I could get a little more range out of that bullet vs the 150gr. The few posts I have read about this little bullet seem to be favorable. Anyone tell me what type of groups they get from them? Any loading data using Win. powders?

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

125gr FNHP (30-30)

I have never shot this weight bullet in my 30-30, however I according to other posts and the law of physics I can't see how it would be superior in any way to the 150 except velocity. Velocity in and of itself does not translate into superior penetration. I think that the heavier 150 gr slug would far and away be the choice for most hunters who seek reliable, consistant penetration, especially within the confines of the 30-30's effective range.

I believe Best Lever has done some fairly extensive research with lighter projectiles, perhaps he will weigh in with his opinion.

SS
    quot;The second amendment is obscure only when history is ignored."

Charlton Heston

GbyGbA

Tinhorn
    Member #

125gr FNHP (30-30)

I use those (Sierra 125gr fnhp) for target loads for an older Win 94. 26 Grains of H4895 for around 2100 fps IIRC. It is actually the reduced load from Hogdon's website and has worked very well for what I want. I can't speak for its hunting abilities as I am only a paper puncher at this point. However, they seem qiute accurate and I can shoot 1- 1\2 to 2" groups @50 yards with a Lyman 66 set up. That's about the best I can do without clamping the gun down. I have read positive hunting results though on other forums about that bullet. Look it up on Midway's site and see if anybody reviewed it-
    se it up while its still good-

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

125gr FNHP (30-30)

Hello Riflemen: Hi Oooogaa, Sidespin is right about my testing lightweight bullets in the 30-30. However, I used a rifle I built for my son and it was an Ackley Improved version so the comparison between our rifles might be a bit different.
    If you want a little flatter trajectory and still get good penetration we settled on the 130 grain Speer flat point Hot Cor. This bullet completely penetrated a buck at about 75-100 yards with a shot just behind the shoulders. The deer ran about 30 yards and fell over dead. About the hollow points when I shot them into the end of a fir log none of them in this weight category penetrated as far as the Speer. I wondered about their ability to bust through a shoulder if need be. I do think the 130 grain Speer would do this but have not actually proven it yet. The 150 grain FP has proven to be a shoulder buster many times so there is a bit of comprimise to be made. Give and take. Gain a little straight line trajectory and loose some potential penetration or learn to shoot the rainbow flying 150 grain bullet I handload for my son and chose the 130 Speer and 'THINK' I got it right. That's the best I can do for you so good luck. BestLever
    Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us." Life is good, BestLever

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

125gr FNHP (30-30)

I don't use the 125 hp for deer, as I think they expand too rapidly, but I also have used the Speer 130 fp with great sucess. I reload for the family, and between three of us, the Speer 130 has taken numerous deer at yardages over 200 yds, with great success. It does a super job of penetration, and even when hit at an angle it will penetrate completely at 100 yds.
    I use the 130 with a load of H335 that leaves the muzzle at @2400 fps, and it will group near 1" at 100 yds in the 336 Marlin. I zero the guns at 2" high at 100 yds, which makes it about 4" low at 200, so it's pretty much a versatile load for out West, where the shots can be a bit longer.
    Hope this helps.
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

marlinman336

125gr FNHP (30-30)

I used those bullets this year in some handloads a friend made for me. I shot 2 does and one buck with them. The does wboth wieghed under 90 and the bullet hit them in the shoulder and was found under the skin on the far side. The buck wieghrd aaaroun 140 dressed and the bullet was found about a 1 and a half past the heart( or the small peices of it). All three dropped instanly. I imagine better penetration would happen if bone was not hit but i like to shoot the shoulder.JMHO

Tinhorn
    Member #

125's

I have not had the chance to use them on larger game(deer) but they do a number on Yotes.....they also are an accurate load(Fed's)....My last range outing gave me a 1.5" 3 shot group at 200 yards....the other shooters could hardly believe it....kept the paper for proof! I have always been impressed with the accuracy of the 336....I made regular habit of putting in sub 2" groups at 100 yard with open sites...made many of the "scoped" shooters skeptical until they peaked through my spotter...also I got the 200 yd. group with a 3x9 scope........I discovered all this because I was so pissed off at the 200yd accuracy of the accelorators that I popped in a few 125 gr HP's and was floored by the results!!!!!!!!! I also for some reason get very good 200 yd. groups shooting off hand with PMC 170 gr FP's......go figure(less than 6")

Tinhorn
    Member #

125gr FNHP (30-30)

I have used the Sierra 130 gr FNHP with Win 748 powder. Don't recall the exact load, but did bring down three Deer. None of them went more than 20-30 yds and all were heart/lung shots. Recoil was more mild (of course it isn't bad with 30-30 to begin with). Overall I have been very pleased, all shots were pass-through and under 100 yds.
    Marlins, Mossbergs, & T/C's

Tenderfoot
    Member #

125gr FNHP (30-30)

I've been around a 30-30 that uses 125gr Hp Sierras at about 2500 fps according to the load they were loaded with & they did a nice overall job on Whitetail here in WVa. Ours are average to large sized deer & within the normal ranges most deer areshot at it does a real good job of transfering energy & deer seem to drop as fast as & in most cases faster than with the heavier loads. I'm not dropping the 150-170 gr bullets by no means but just know that the 125's do alot better job on deer than we give it credit for. As far as anything larger---NO----use 170's. For a woman or a small framed adult thats sensitive in any way theres practically no recoil with the 125's. Theres more deer in my opinion that run off a little farther from lack of expansion from either a too tough bullet in the standard calibers that are suitable for deer or sometimes even just too tough a bullet because the caliber is so big for such a small biggame animal. Like useing a 338 Mag on a deer---its hard to get fast expansion because they are designed more so for bigger framed animals & the expansion/deep penetration thats needed. 125-130gr 30-30 ammo will do its job in fast fashion on deer as long as you do your part & place the bullet in a good location. Like my 257 Roberts---100-120gr is the acceptable norm on deer but I guarantee my 87gr Groundhog loads sure stop deer RIGHT NOW! faster expansion will usually drop more deer in shorter timeframe than a super penetrator----at least it sure seems that way in many cases.
    uzzle control & Basic common sense= very safe shooting

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links