+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Marlin Warranty Service

Tinhorn
    Member #

Marlin Warranty Service

I purchased a Marlin 336W for my 14 year to be his first deer rifle on November 9th. The Academy where I bought it mounted and bore-sighted the scope for me. I zeroed the rifle the next day, my son practiced the next day and two days later killed his first deer(not hard to do in Texas even for a novice). The next weekend we went for more target practice at a range and after the first three shots the rifle started shooting way off. Upon inspection we noticed that the base screws and ring screws were loose. I'm not an expert but have plenty of gunsmithing tools so when we got home I lapped the rings using a 1" dowel and 320 grit sandpaper. When I remounted the scope it would not align, it canted to the left. I spent hours trying to align but to no avail. Took the rings off and inspected the bases. The front base was not centered. Tried the rear base on the fron and it would not center either. Took the base off and if you look real close you can see the front base holes were drilled off center. Took the rifle back to Academy and they agreed with my assessment and sent it to Marlin today via UPS. I did register the firearm online with Marlin the day I bought it and a copy of the purchase receipt is with the rifle.

My issue with the rifle is after inspecting the scope there is very little windage adjustment left after the rifle is zeroed since the scope cants to the left so much. I do not own many firearms - three handguns, three shotguns and four rifles and have never had to send one back to the manufacturer.

What has been your experience dealing with Marlin? If there is an obvious defect with one of their products do they take care of the customer?

Thank you in advance if you are able to respond.

me
    Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    CDB Welcome to the Forum Well miss drilled holes, Remington will have a fix I'm sure...Sorry for the inconvenience but they have experienced service people over there. Glad your Boy got his deer before it went back.
    "I think myself that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious." - Thomas Jefferson, Letter to William Ludlow, September 6, 1824

team 45/70 #244, team Browning #40

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    oh boy you must be new here. do a little digging around here and look up the marlin quality issues since the remington takeover. should make for some good reading.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Ahhhhhhh don't tell him that!!!! I hate to see a grown man cry..
    me likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I did not know of the Remington Marlin mess. This is the first lever-gun I have ever shot. Have always had bolt-action. My son can use my .270 until we get the 336 issue resolved. I don't see how they can do anything but replace the whole firearm and neither does the manager of the store where I bought it.
    me likes this.

me
    Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    CDB Don't get your hopes up for a new gun as I said earlier" Sorry for the inconvenience but they have experienced service people over there"

Having 5 Great Marlins 3 are levers (JM) stamped on barrel, I would encourage you not to give up on a lever gun A bolt is a great gun but Many guys here are getting 1" groups at 100 yds...even with the Remlins.

Our couch is always open...and our opinions cheap, but when you get a response from Remlin...we will help with any other fixes including selling it cheap and buy a true MarlinYou know some of these guys love their Remlins Again welcome to the forum.
    "I think myself that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious." - Thomas Jefferson, Letter to William Ludlow, September 6, 1824

team 45/70 #244, team Browning #40

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I still want a Marlin, I just don't see how they can fix the mis-drilled holes. I guess they could disassemble the whole rifle and put a new receiver on it. If they can fix it that if great but if they cannot I expect them to send me another firearm with no defects. I was willing to live with some proud wood and chip on the stock but I cannot accept an issue that affects accuracy on a brand new rifle. I will keep up the good fight until Remlin does the right thing. Who knows, the company I bought the rifle from is a large customer and they may influence the decision.
    me likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    now that its going back I wouldn't live with the wood chips and proud wood include a letter stating ALL the issues with the gun and just tell them you want a new gun or a refund and that you won't be satisfied with anthing less.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I spoke with them today even though I don't believe the rifle will arrive until early next week. The person I spoke with said to check with them late Wednesday. He also said they would either disassemble the rifle and put a new receiver on it or send me a new rifle. I am not going to say anything about the wood until they have had a chance to inspect it. I touched it up with a furniture pen and want to see if they notice it.
    me likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Well...I think if they replace the receiver, it kind of becomes a new gun anyhow (I think the part of a gun with the serial number is the only part you can't get shipped to you).

Anyhow, are you dealing with Marlin, or one of their authorized repair facilities?? When I had problems with my Remlin, I wound up in touch with a place in tulsa (authorized repair facility for my part of the country), not actually Marlin.

Sean

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links