+ Reply to Thread

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Marlin 336c .30-30 jamming sometimes

Hi all,

I just got a "new to me" (used) Marlin 336c in .30-30, JM stamp serial #93xxxxxxx. It had a very low round count (<100 rounds), and is in great shape. I have not fired it yet, but I cycled 2 aluminum snap caps through the action repeatedly. It occassionally jams, whereby there cap in the tube seems to butt up against the carrier, which does not allow me to chamber the round when I load the 2 caps in the magazine. A simple fix is to push the cap back into the tube with a chop stick, and then it cycles fine. Other times it can catch, but I can force the cap through. It does seem to cycle OK othwerwise(not stiff), and I make sure not to short stroke it. I have been doing some reading and I checked to make sure the gate screw is tight. It cycles one cap through the magazine 100% OK.

Is this the dreaded Marlin jam? Is there an easy fix? Or is this partially due to using snap caps? I will try and get 2 more caps to test the action once more time before going to the range.

Thanks in advance.

Site Contributor-Certified Marlin & Milsurp Rifle Nut Super Moderator
    Member #
    I wouldn't normally recommend this, but try cycling it with live ammo with the firearm pointed in a safe direction, outdoors, with the cross bolt safety on!

Usually, while the snap caps are pretty good, they aren't always 100% correct or perfect.
    Formerly 186 Tmanbuckhunter
    - Travis
    Single action revolvers, Marlin and Winchester leverguns, and Mosin Nagants.

Team 30-30 #158
    Team 1894 #61
    Team 39 #113
    Team Bikers #14 SO
    Team Mauser Co-Captain

America was founded by tough hell raisers, rugged American citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer and moonshine, and smuggled weapons; it will be saved only by those who do the same today.

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn View Post
    I hate living in interesting times.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Similar problem with my brand new one with live ammo. could be a problem with the follower? Marlin sent me a new one that is supposed to be better compatible with the Evolutions' tips. Be careful if it really jams into the carrier your lever can seize and then you'll need to take the tube cap off to release the pressure and get the rounds out which is a bit of a pain

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Thanks for the replies . I also managed to get a "double feed," whereby the 2nd snap cap loads beneath the round ready to be chambered. Me thinks this is a carrier issues.

Thoughts?

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    It is unlikely there is anything wrong with your gun, especially with a low round count. Just get some ammo for it, take it out and shoot it. Work the lever briskly, don't baby it.

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #
    On the surface it sounds like a timing issue related to the carrier. As simple as these actions are, timing and geometry are critical to proper performance.

There are a couple things that could be at the root of the issue, if it is indeed timing, but I believe more often than not the culprit lies in a carrier that is slightly bent downward. Since it is no longer at the proper angle, when the lever is worked it does not rise in time to block the next round from entering the receiver. Hence the old "letting in two." If it were bent in the other direction, it would raise too soon and bind on the round that is supposed to be coming into the receiver.

That said, I'm not the expert by any means on this particular problem. Leverdude, Swany, and Tomray are much better suited to helping you diagnose and resolve this issue. Shoot them a pm with a link to this thread (I can help you with that if need be) and see if they can't help you get her squared away.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links