+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 30-30 Accelerator Bullets

Tinhorn
    Member #

30-30 Accelerator Bullets

Hey Everyone

I was out at my uncle's ranch and he pulled out a box of 30-30 accelerator bullets. I haven't seen any sense I was a young boy. Do they still make them and how are they?

I have heard that they were super fast and great varmint rounds and I have also heard they weren't all that wonderful... Just wondering if it was the material they used for the sabot, or if it was the way Marlin rifled their barrels.. . I also heard similar statements from Winchester owners......just a little history question..lol

I know there for a while in the 70's they were trying to push them a lot. Never fired any or tried to see what they could do.

Thanks
    Dave

Tinhorn
    Member #

Re: 30-30 Accelerator Bullets

The accelerator sabot rounds I remember featured a .223 bullet of 55 grains and it was moving out! I came close to buying some for a .30-06, but never did. Rumors persist that they're inaccurate and leave behind a plastic residue that's stubborn to remove. Maybe someone can chime in that's actually shot them? Personally, I'd keep them as a collectible for future sale.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Yeah, I was reading up on some of the issues, and some seem to say that the Government was afraid that the accelerator would be kinda bad if it was used in a crime cause there were no rifling marks on the bullet. But I guess the 30-30 and the 30-06 were considered hunting rounds and wouldn't be used in a crime.....I have also heard that they weren't that accurate.

I don't know what good they would be for now. no need to worry about tearing up a fur pelt.....

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

I played with them in a 06 when they first came out and never could see much use for them. If I remember correctly they shot low in my 06 and I had to raise the elevation up. I do remember shooting some small cedar fence post with them and the 55 grain bullet would cut them into two peices. I hate to think of the hole they would put in a coyote.

Horseshoe

Cowpoke
    Member #

Somewhere on this forum is a link to a small ammo company that still makes them. Remington stopped.

Sidewinder
    Member #

I had some for 30-06. In theory, they seemed like a good idea. In practice, I found them to be expensive and not that accurate. I had to try them, of course. I would be a bit spooked about using them in a tube magazine. So, they would make my 336 a "two shot", one in the chamber and one in the magazine. Not worth it.
    Team 30-30 Member #137
    Team 39 Member #95

Sidewinder
    Member #

A twist rate issue. The 55 grain .224 bullet needs a slower twist to stabilize. The SD is entirely different than a 150 grain .308, and even more so than a 170 grain.

Longer bullet = faster twist
    Shorter bullet = slower twist

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Tried some in two different Marlins back about 76-77. Neither scoped rifle would hold a 6 inch group at 100 yards. A friend used a triangluar file to SLOWLY file the 30-30 cases at the top of the neck, then filed the length of the removed brass tip on 4 or 5 rounds. I am only saying he was industrious, not the brightest bulb in the chandelier. He used these "recovered" tips to load some 308 winchester rounds for a Rem 788, a rifle known for their accuracy. With a 4X scope the group was almost 6 inches wide. Never bought any more. Shenandoah

All our life we trade our time for money, hoping to make enough money to do what we dream of, before we run out of time.

Never remove a fence without learning why the fence was put up in the first place.

US Army (Ret)

Member HYPHEN-ATED GANG (Cal 32-40)
    Team 30-30 - member 399
    Sharps (No Team) 1874, 40-65 Win
    Team Old Pharts - member XXIV

Sidewinder
    Member #

my dad bought some for his 30-30 back in the early 80's, they were horrably inaccurate, i remember that he could'nt hit a 5gal. bucket at 100yds. so he give the rest of the box away.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Well I know a person can get them for reloading..

I thought it was maybe the fps and the early material they used in the sabots.....I am just hearing too many thumbs down to even get too worked up over them...lol Thought they would have improved them over the years

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links