Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Marlin Factory or replacement Barrels

33K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  F.schmitt1014 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone

Well, was doing some research. Trying to find a replacement barrel or maybe going all out and getting a custom Octagon barrel and.... OUCH!!! I did find a company that restores and replaces barrels, but they want $700.00 for their service and then putting it on your rifle starts at $150.00

I have been looking at the for sale section of our group and maybe the odds will even out. I can go with a cowboy and trick it out the way I want. I just wanted to stay with Marlin, but the way they are going it might be easier to go with a reproduction.....( Dang that sounded bad )

Any suggestions about custom Barrels would be greatly appreciated....I would like to put an Octagon barrel on my 336, but I am finding out that most want to work on the 1895....I guess I can work an 1895 up I have one too....

Thanks

#4 ·
Have you looked into getting a barrel blank? You could have the threads and chamber cut by a gunsmith/machinist although I don't know where that would put you on price.

#5 ·
Yeah h-bomb

That's what I was upset about earlier cause they want $700.00 to set one up to fit the action....they say a Marlin is tricky because of the cuts for the extractor and things.

But Wind has a good site and they seem to have marlin factory barrels and they are very reasonable........so far they are out of the option I was looking for, but at least there is hope.

#6 ·
That's a rediculous price for the amount of actual work involved. I hope you find something reasonable.

Are you trying to change calibers or are you wanting to go ahead and put an octogon on?

If you just want a new load, have you looked into a re-line?

--sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to shoot you down, I promise I'm not. ;)

#7 ·
Well

It all started ( always wanted to say that ) when I took my 1873 Winchesters to the University......I know, I know it sounds bad, but I assure everyone it was at the direction of the dean of students cause with the Southwestern Archaeology that I am taking they wanted to study some fire arms from that time era.. so we had them appraised. So I could insure them and took them in. Well, they got all beside themselves when I came walking in with two 44-40 rifles and the receipts, one rifle was purchased for $35.00, and the other was $45.00 I couldn't tell you why, cause they look the same to me just bought about 5 years apart.

Sometime during the late 1800's about 1880 or so my ancestors headed out this way from Tenn. and these two rifles came along with them.....I love how the two rifles felt and although one was kinda frozen shut and the other had been well used I thought it would be cool to see if I could make something that would look like someone had spent a lot of time putting it together and I thought it would be cool to do it in 30-30 cause it was a bit cheaper than the 44-40 and the 45colt ammo so I started looking....

Now I know there are some beautiful rifles out there and I know that modern accessories can make it Lazar accurate, but if you have ever looked at a rifle that has been carried so long that the blue is worn in a hand pattern, or seen the stock worn and polished to the point you can see the magazine tube from sitting on the pommel of a saddle, it kinda brings things home...ya know? So I figured why not, why not make something that would have the attachment and function for maybe my little girl when she grows up and points to the rifle on the rack and it has marks and memories and she says I learned to shoot with this rifle...... :)

#8 ·
This guy in the town I live in builds new barrels. I had him price me a new octagon for a winchester 30-30 at $450, but that doesn't include bluing. This is his website http://johntaylormachine.com/79.0.html

Be careful with buying a replacement you still may have to machine it to get the headspace right and the extractor groove right, and to make sure that the sights are centered straight up. Then again you may get lucky and just twist it on and all is good. Sometimes getting the old barrel off can be a major pain. There is specialized receiver blocks and wrenches that can be had to remove the barrel without damaging the receiver (very spendy), but again you might be able to do it without those tools if you're lucky.

Just be careful. I finally decided to note do the barrel thing as too expensive, I just bought a new to me rifle.

#9 ·
If I recall the $450 included installation (chrome moly), but again not bluing.

#10 ·
So, to get back on track

I was wanting to see if I could make a marlin 336 kinda like the cowboy...with a 20in barrel and a pistol grip stock.

Some of the guys have made front sights out of old coins, like one would expect to find on a rifle that was repaired in the field...Some of the older rear sights had ladders. and were scribed in ranges...I don't know if it was a hail Mary type of thing or what but I don't see the 44-40 being that close at 600-700 yards...lol. But these are the types of rifles that we see in books and on display....So why not take a common 30-30 and maybe in 200 years there is an Archaeologist trying to figure out what I was thinking....Lmao

.. And, there are some inlays and such that were put on early firearms (Black Powder) that would show the beliefs of the Trapper or Scout....Most of the time we think of Native American rifles...But, some of the inlays were prayers and hopes for each shot and once you realize what you were seeing you can almost see what the individual was like.....Almost....lol there were silver or gold scrolls, and hearts, crosses that made the rifle unique. Their placement along the stock tells us what they were for the hope of the shot the message that the bullet carries and the faith in the rifle.

Just trying to bring a little of the really old and blend it with the new. Dang I am talking like a Professor....Sorry

#13 ·
Hey Wind

Thanks for the photo...That is a beautiful rifle....I know it may take some time....But, I have a new mission and a few new friends here that seem to have a similar idea....So all we can do is keep a watchful eye, and see if we can make them come true.

I think ikesdad is looking for a half Octagon and a half round so we are getting a group started....lol

I think the biggest thing is going to be the barrel and the action fitted together.. Once that happens, it will be coming together nicely...I love to debate the older rifles and see what folks think about the capabilities of them, and more often than not, it is surprising what they can do.

#14 ·
Hey again Ssgt Hill -- JBledsoe ordered a Zane Grey barrel from Numrich the last time he was here shooting. You might check with him about that project. He sent me a range report today and the thing shoots great. Again, there is nothing wrong with the pre-Remlin Marlins. Best regards. Wind

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.