+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tenderfoot
    Member #

336 and my iron sights

Hello everyone. I'm brand new to the forum and have what I hope is a standard new guy question. I have the stock buckhorn sights and in the lowest position for the rear sight, hit 4" high at 50 & 100 yds. (I aim dead center on the target) I know some prefer to have the 'lollipop' sight picture with the bullís-eye resting on the top of the leveled front sight, but Iíd rather aim where I want to hit, not 4" high. I tried a Williams peep sight and at its lowest position had the same issue. I've called Marlin and was told there is no taller front sight for my rifle, but I could send it in and they would take a look. I have a scheduled hunt mid Sept and don't want to send her off before hand. I donít want optics I'm iron sights only, not looking for minute of angle precision, but minute of ram would be nice, lol. I am a very proficient shot and can compensate for the sight picture until a solution is found but I would prefer to be able to aim dead center on target. Iím only 46 but that little front bead at 100yds is a full 8" now. The less I have to compensate the more accurate, and thus, more ethical my shot placement will be.
    Iím shooting 150g ammo, could switch to 170g but inside 100yds I donít think thereís going to be a significant ballistic result. Plus, Iím primarily after Rams, Goats, Etc donít really need to be pounding 170ís in there.
    I appreciate any insight, suggestions and advice.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: 336 and my iron sights

Hey there tmc -- Welcome to Marlin Owners. The long and the short of it is you are going to need a taller front sight, using your present rear sight. Measure the front sight from the bottom of the base (including dovetail) to the top of the blade. That will give us some information to work with. Marlin makes a couple three rear sight blade heights. Here is a picture of the tallest and shortest. Which one do you have? This too will help solve your problem. Skinner sights, in the Industry Partners section, can and will make any front sight height you may need. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

Member #

Hey again tmc -- I'm a fan of a blade front sight over a bead. I think you get a clearer sight picture. What do you think? Wind

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Wind, thanks very much for the info. I'm not sure which rear sight I have but now I know what to look for. Thanks also for the tip on front sight manufacturer. The front blade looks much better than the bead sight I have. It looks much more crisp than the bead sight i have and as I mentioned, any relief for these aging eyes is appreciated. Thanks again!

Member #

I have had the same issues as you and have solved them as Wind describes. The post or blade front sight is much better for accurate shooting than the bead. Andy Parsons at SKINNER Sights is one fine business man and will get you fixed up. The rear sight is a great help also. I have a mix of them on my many Marlins. I got mine thru forum members. Cast about on the WTS/WTB forum for what you need. The guys here are first rate and will help.

Papalote
    11 Team 444

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

I agree that a blade makes for more precise aiming in my experience. I will also note that the sight picture shown in the photo of the bead sight would result in a high shot with every 336 I have ever owned. To hit "on", that bead needs to be down in the notch -- a "fine bead" versus the "coarse bead" shown.
    Pisgah
    ------------------
    "He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" Micah 6:8

Member #

Hey there ya'll -- pisgah brings up a valid point. The point of the picture was to illustrate front sight clarity. It was hard enough getting the picture without worrying about much else. The beauty of the Skinner front blades is that you can adjust your rear sight, in whatever form, down to it's lowest setting, and file the front blade down to where you have a zero at whatever yardage you desire. From that point, elevating the rear sight will extend the distance for sighted shots. Hope this helps and clears things up. Best regards. Wind

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Marbles makes replacement dovetail bead front sights in many heights. I would check them out, too, if you can't get the rear blade to your satisfaction.
    John

Team Old Phart #86
    Team 39 #61
    Team 30-30 #95
    Team 1894 #121

Gun Wizard
    Member #

tmc, welcome to MO. enjoy yourself here. You already have several good answers to your question. Take care, John.
    Just keep on keeping on.
    It's not what you do, it's how you do what you do, that counts.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skills.

Gunfighter
    Member #

There is a sticky in Gunsmithing on calculating the correct height based on your current sight height and how much it is off. Marbles and Williams both make replacement sight blades of different heights. Found in Midway and Brownells catalogs.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links