+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tenderfoot
    Member #

1949 Marlin RC 30-30 336 is $300 a good deal?

This is my first post on this fine forum! I sure have learned a lot the past couple months before finally signing up to be a member. I can feel a strange itching at the back of my neck and I was told it was the onset of "Marlinitis"!

I am finally looking at getting my first lever action rifle. I have always wanted one since I was a kid and I recently shot a friends 30-30 and I now I am hooked. I'm not the greatest shot but I impressed myself with that thing! Sure, I would love a big bore but the price of 30-30 is much easier on my pocketbook. Plus I have this terrible feeling that I'll eventually end up with all the calibers.

I've been calling around all over the Seattle area within 40miles and almost nobody has them used except Cabela's. Cabela's must put gold in their guns because their used Marlins are a couple hundred more than everyone else I've talked with. If they would let me cycle the action I'm sure gold bricks would pop out.

I have found a 1949 Marlin RC in 30-30 with rear Redfield peep sights at a local Pawn Shop near me. They just put it out on Saturday and seem unwilling to come down on the price. I gave it a full look over and everything seems pretty decent. The action cycles very smooth, the only hitch I feel in the action is the bolt rubbing on the cocked hammer when it comes back (this may be normal, I'm not fully sure). No scope drill holes on the waffle top receiver. Metal is not dinged in any way. The bluing is about 85%, no rust anywhere that I see, only bluing issue is a wear spot on the left of the receiver. It's nice that it doesn't look uncared for, I'm sure it was something that was passed down by a grandfather. The stock is in great shape except for two dings on the right side cheek rest. The wood should look beautiful when I clean it up, it looks like it was only "cleaned" with thicker oil. Not that it's not nice, but a little cleaning should go a long way.

I am a little worried since it is at a pawn shop and $300 feels higher than I wanted to pay, but the upside is that it comes with what appears to be some decent peep sights. But after looking around and calling around $300 doesn't actually seem to bad considering the condition of the rifle.

Any thoughts on the price I think I'm about to pay? I think I may hit them up tomorrow and offer $275 since that just "feels" like a better price.

One more thing before I forget, is it normal with an empty magazine to not be able to cycle the lever with the hammer forward? It has no problems cycling with the hammer back, just want to make sure this is normal operation.

Thanks!

-Jordan

LT
    Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: 1949 Marlin RC 30-30 336 is $300 a good deal?

That is a steal.... and yes the bolt always hits the hammer. It's part of the design.
    Team 35 Member #3

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

I am a little worried since it is at a pawn shop and $300 feels higher than I wanted to pay, but the upside is that it comes with what appears to be some decent peep sights. But after looking around and calling around $300 doesn't actually seem to bad considering the condition of the rifle.

Any thoughts on the price I think I'm about to pay? I think I may hit them up tomorrow and offer $275 since that just "feels" like a better price. Smiley
    $300 is a great price.

One more thing before I forget, is it normal with an empty magazine to not be able to cycle the lever with the hammer forward? It has no problems cycling with the hammer back, just want to make sure this is normal operation.
    No. The lever should cycle with the hammer forward or backward. The lever forces the bolt against the hammer and cocks it.

Platinum Poster
    Member #

No it's just stiff when your moving the hammer with the bolt compared to having it back .. you have to lever a Marlin with some force they are not silky smooth ..
    Gunjunkie..

"Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Wrangler
    Member #

Welcome to the Marlin Owners Forum!!! There is no rifle available new or used that is better quality and design than the rifle you are looking at. I prefer the early RC model to all others because the flat-top rear sight and bead front sight are perfect for me as are the locatin of the barrel bands. I have a 1953 vintage (doesn't have the waffle top) that I bought in 2003 at the Tulsa Gun Show for $250 - I couldn't be happier with the gun or the price. The one you're looking at should be worth a little more to a Marlin guy because of the untapped waffle top receiver.

Wal Mart has Marlin 336 rifles for $357 with a birch stock and crossbolt safety - made by Remington. Will be worth $300 or less after firing. :P Go with the old RC - can't go wrong.

Cedar Creek
    "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

Team Thuty-Thuty Co-Captain - Site Contributor Marlin Fanatic
    Member #

$300 is a good price if its in good condition!!!

Patrick

#14 TEAM MARLIN EXPRESS
    #176 TEAM 444
    #14 TEAM 35
    #152 TEAM 45/70
    #11 TEAM 60
    #3 MARLIN LEAGUE
    #10 TEAM SOUTHPAW
    #59 TEAM SHOTGUN

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Welcome to MO.

Run, go get it!

Like the other guys said, it is normal for the hammer to bear against the bolt. During field stripping you actually have to retract the hammer all the way with your thumb to get the bolt out, and vice versa to reassemble it. It will cycle without pre-cocking the hammer. In fact, that is the normal mode of operation, there's no real time you'd ever cycle the action on a pre-cocked hammer. It just takes more force to do it the normal way, because you have to overcome the additional force from the hammer spring. Don't baby the lever too much, or you might go blind. Okay, maybe you won't go blind.
    "Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another." -Proverbs 27:17

"In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise." -Proverbs 10:19

δύσκολα τὰ καλά

Team .45-70 #191
    Team .35 Rem #468
    Team .30-30 #75

Tenderfoot
    Member #

I really appreciate all the super fast responses. You have all set my worries at ease, especially about the price and how the action works on these rifles. I guess there is only one thing to do; wake up a bit earlier than usual and knock on the pawn shops door until they give me that Marlin. Otherwise, I don't know how I'll survive thinking about the rifle all day. I am super excited to get my hands on it! I think maybe I should not have read the forums tonight, how will I get to sleep now?! I feel like a kid at Christmas!

A couple quick questions, I have read about the various peep sights for the lever actions. How does the Redfield rear peep sights stack up? Were they something you could order with the gun or a popular aftermarket item? I do like the sight picture when looking through it. I'm curious to see how well I'll shoot.

I'll try to figure out how to post pictures when I finally get it home. Let the addiction begin. Thanks again!

-Jordan

Deadeye
    Member #

Welcome Memo!

I agree with these men. I spend quite a bit of time on GunBroker looking at 336 models. You can find them (at auction's end) going for $250 and up, but you will not find a nice 336RC for less than $300....at least I've never seen one in good condition finish below that. Plus, you then have to deal with shipping and FFL fees, usually a minimum of $50 there. Get up early tomorrow and pray it's still there!
    - Stretch®

"If you are a reloader and you don't know Lee, you don't know Jack" (Floydster)

Don't Be Scared©

Deadeye
    Member #

There is a 1968 Saddle Ring 336 RC on GunBroker right now. It is listed as being in excellent condition and, judging by the photos, it probably is or is very close to that. It is smooth top and drilled and tapped. It's sitting right now at $141, but it has 9 days left to go. By that time, your rifle at the pawn shop will be sold and this one will end at around $350 or more.....I'm guessing.
    - Stretch®

"If you are a reloader and you don't know Lee, you don't know Jack" (Floydster)

Don't Be Scared©

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links