+ Reply to Thread

Tinhorn
    Member #

Western Field something .30-30 in pawnshop

was browsing the local pawnshops because i heard somewhere here that there are deals to be had there...

well...found a Western field model 7something .30-30 lever rifle with a safety switch on LH of receiver, pistol grip butt, plasticky looking but its wood... the shop wants $180 or so for it...and they DO have lay-away which might be better deal for my meager budget than the AR at the moment...? anyways, heard both ways that its made by Marlin, or made by someone else....anyone know for sure? pretty smooth action and a rust blueing on the receiver.....a nice old patina looking on it which is pretty cool

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Re: Western Field something .30-30 in pawnshop

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...c,81987.0.html

Personally, I would be all over it at that price. I can't get anywhere near that where I live.
    There are varying degrees of evil. We urge you lesser forms of filth not to push the bounds and cross over into true corruption; into our domain. For if you do, one day you will look behind you and you will see we three. And on that day, you will reap it.

Tinhorn
    Member #

if its a Model 740 something, then its definitely a 336, right? according to the cross references....and I don't recall any other numbers that were different than the 7something...I shall have to call them soon and see what their lay-away plan is and then plan accordingly. the other pawn shop; has a...336, SN starts with 25.....for $225 out of the door; I might be able to talk them into letting it go for 200 if its not already gone in a couple months? their items seem to take a while to sell and the 336 has an ODD checkering on its pistol grip buttstock....its like 3 different sizes of diamonds in a geometric pattern... nothing like a professional checkering or the waffle checkering I've seen....

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

The safety on the left side is the giveaway that this is not a 336, but a Mossberg 472, a 336 lookalike from decades ago. Another feature of it you will find under closer examination is that the trigger moves with the lever when you work the action. Although I think they were OK rifles, they never appealed to me much, and if I bought one I'd want to get it cheap, and mostly as a curiosity.
    Pisgah
    ------------------
    "He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" Micah 6:8

Sidewinder
    Member #

the mossberg 472 is as good as a marlin in every way. buy it you won't be sorry. and if you don't like it you can allways sell it.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links