+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sidewinder
    Member #

336 : 32 Special

I'm attending an estate auction tomorrow evening of an old friend who is now in assisted living with dimensia. I noticed in the auction listing he has a Marlin 32 Special ( that I didn't even know he had ). Anyway - out of curiosity, what would this model look like and what would it's perceived value be assuming >90% condition. Don took very good care of his guns, so I would expect it to be in fine condition. I'm not a collector and have no interest in this rifle myself..........just looking for some background info on it.

Thanks, Vic

Platinum Poster
    Member #

Re: 336 : 32 Special

250 and up depending on model and configuration.. I am sure you could purchase and sell here .. many want that caliber
    Gunjunkie..

"Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Sidewinder
    Member #

OK..........would you be so kind as to describe the configurations and maybe a ball park estimate of age. I wouldn't rule out buying it and re-selling to another on this forum IF the bidding is "reasonable".

I don't have much faith the the "bluebook values" anymore as I've priced a number of different firearms in these references in recent years and they're just not accurate unless one is a gun retailer lowballing a trade in.

Thanks, Vic

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Vic
    OK..........would you be so kind as to describe the configurations and maybe a ball park estimate of age. I wouldn't rule out buying it and re-selling to another on this forum IF the bidding is "reasonable".

I don't have much faith the the "bluebook values" anymore as I've priced a number of different firearms in these references in recent years and they're just not accurate unless one is a gun retailer lowballing a trade in.

Thanks, Vic
    Trader,

I take it from the subject line of your topic that the Marlin is a Model 336. The Marlin Model 1893sand Model 36s (pre 336 designation) were made in .32 wcf (.32 special) as well. Depending on year of Manufacture, Model variant, and the condition of the rifle; the prices could vary. A 336A, 336sc. (not CS), or a 336RC could go from as low as $300 up to an over $1000.00 ++. The rare and deluxe (ADL & SCDL) models bring a higher price noramally. It is difficult for anyone to evaluate the value with out actually seeing the gun, or seeing detailed pictures. After studying the information below, doing a little resarch of the threads listed below, and searching the web for similar models on sale; as well as searches of this web site (once you determine what model and year you have) you may have a better handle on the value window.

Go to the home page and look for the Reference Library section, then look under Marlin date of Manufacture, you can find the date of manufacture by the serial numbers. Also in that section is the List of 336 Models and differences. The following for Model 336 was taken from that same thread location: Note the .32 special in blue text font!

CJ

MODEL 336A
    - improved 36A, .30-30 Win., .35 Rem., or .32 Spl. cal., round breech bolt, 24 in. barrel with 2/3 mag. Mfg. 1948-1962, re-introduced 1973-1980.

Model 336ADL (DELUXE)
    - similar to Model 336A Rifle, except has deluxe checkered walnut stock and forearm, quick detachable swivels and 1 in. sling. Mfg. 1948-62.

MODEL 336C (CARBINE)
    - .30-30 Win., .32 Spl., or .35 Rem. cal., standard model carbine with 20 in. barrel. Mfg. 1969-83.

MODEL 336RC (REGULAR CARBINE)
    - .30-30 Win., .32 Spl., or .35 Rem. cal., standard model carbine. Mfg. 1948-68.

MODEL 336SC (SPORTING CARBINE)
    - similar to Model 336C, with 20 in. barrel and 2/3 length mag. tube, raised comb buttstock (1957-63). Mfg. 1948-63.

MODEL 336SD (SPORTING DELUXE)
    - .30-30 Win., .32 Spl., or .35 Rem. cal., deluxe sporting carbine with 20 in. barrel, checkered stock and forearm, raised comb, no cheekpiece, quick detachable swivels and 1 in. sling. Mfg. 1954-62.

USN RET Team 35 member #33

Idaho or Oklahoma, and NOT depending on the weather
    Member #

Hmmm... a lot of people know more than I do so there is likely to be better posts that follow but since I wish I was going to the auction with you, this is my next best.

Configuration: I'm gonna post four pictures of a 336 30-30 but the gun should look the same. I'll add these comments up front. If it's a 336 .32 Special - it is lever action rifle. I'm guessing you know that but just in case. Old appeals to a lot of folks so that is not a drawback. I think around 1946 they started using alpha characters to precede the serial number so a 1946 is a Cxxxx and a 1947 is a Dxxxx, a 1948 an Exxxx, and so on till 1964.

The barrel can be full length or carbine (shorter) and the magazine tube can terminate short of the barrel end, or, as with a carbine, extend to the full length of the barrel. A lot of folks like the waffle top years (I think 48-52).

Value will depend on the bluing (metal) condition and the wood condition, and if the gun has been modified, drilled for a scope, for a sling, or if the stock was carved, what have you. If there is some pitting on the receiver or barrel, as with the first of my pictures I'll provide, then that is anybody's guess how much to mark off. If the inside of the bore is not good, that would be the worst drawback I'm thinking.

A big item that touches on desirability is age. I'd looking for a smooth stock, 1954 or thereabouts but some like the checkered stocks that come on the newer jobs. A lot of people don't like the new safety but I don't even know if the .32 was in production when those came out.

I'll be interested in what you find. If you think about it send me a message after you go to the sale. Hope the pictures help. If so, you can browse around a find a lot more on this forum. John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John

Member #

Wow Cascade... that's a lot of info. Had no idea there were that many to be aware of. I"m gonna have to use this for a cheat sheet when I'm out and about. Great information!!
    John

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by SgtDog0311
    Wow Cascade... that's a lot of info. Had no idea there were that many to be aware of. I"m gonna have to use this for a cheat sheet when I'm out and about. Great information!!
    All that info was gathered by other MO members , so I can't take the credit for it. This forum has a wealth of knowledge and experience among it's membership. IMHO, the reference library is a good place to peruse as a new member. And the gunsmith section under the lodge!

CJ
    USN RET Team 35 member #33

Sidewinder
    Member #

Thanks for the info and I realize my question about value is quite relative to a lot of things. Anyway - I'll print this out and take the info along with to the auction and see what the bidding does on the Marlin. One other rifle is a REM Mohawk, 6mm. All of the others he had he gave away in recent years.

Thanks to all, Vic

Member #

Well God Bless your old Friend. I've been looking after my neighbor for a year and a half now. Finally had to help ease him into a place where others could look after him. It was sad and I miss the old guy. Hard to watch someone lose what they had in life, wife, memories, purpose, and finally their independance. Way harder for them though. Hope he is comfortable where he is now.
    John

Site Contributor - Team Marlin Express Capt'n Super Moderator
    Member #

Around here you wouldn't find a 336 in 32 spl for under 400 bucks
    IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KILLED IN ACTION 23 APR 07, AGE 19, MUQUDADIYAH, IRAQ.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links