Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1953 336RC rifling

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  pls1911 
#1 ·
1953 336RC rifling
What kind of rifling does a 1953 336Rc in 35 rem. have please?
What is a beater worth? { wood has plenty of scratches--some deep } bluing about 65% give or take a little,with some pitting on the outside of barrel.Bore is great, bright and shiny. I know it's what makes you happy and all that, but what is it worth please?
Thanks

#2 ·
a 53' 336rc .35 rem should have ballard rifling..

I have a 55' 336rc .35, ballard rifling, made within a year or two before they switched to microgroove..
The fit, finish and function of these older rifles are far superior to the rifles being made today!!!

Because of the appearance of the one you're describing.
You could probably get yourself a real good deal on it!!!

I would offer $150 and not pay more than $200..
I'm not saying that it's not worth more, it's just my way of haggling.. ;)

#5 ·
I believe that Micro Groove became standardized in 336's in 1956. Prior to that they used what is called Ballard rifling. Now, all Marlins save the 336c's are once again Ballard rifled. I've got an SC from 1954 in .35 Remington that triggered my Marlinitis. The older ones were made so very well, with a great deal of pride in workmanship. But, I don't look down my nose at the new ones at all. They're still pretty high in quality in my opinion. They just don't have the character yet of the older ones. Given enough time and use, they'll develop character of their own.

#6 ·
Maincoat was just about right on. However I'd add that if the cosmetics will clean up pretty well with oil and steel wool and the stock isn't cracked needing major repair, I wouldn't hesitate to push a bit on the price. It's hard to say how far without a hands on evaluation, and local market vary widely.
Early Marlin stocks clean up beatifully with some "furniture restorer"and steel wool followed with a couple of thinned coats of satin tongue oil or satin spar varnish or satin polyurethane. Normally no staining is not needed, as the wood is plenty dark already.
If the mechanics are flawless and the metal was fine and the stock really ugly, I could go $300, because I know what lurks within: materials, workmanship, and accuracy that new guns cannot match, plus an aged patina showing the experience of time. my go-to deer and pig gun is a '49 carbine. My best buy of late was a pristine box perfect 1947 36 ADL for $380. This specimen could have easily been priced $100 more by folks who know and appreciate old Marlins. Many of my others now appear as nice, but were bought as beaters, a couple with shattered stocks but oh-so-nice wood and metal. They're real lookers now.
My guess is that with a little elbow grease your 50's beater could be beautiful too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.