+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tinhorn
    Member #

336SS: Replacing factory iron sights

Got a 30-30 336SS here and I'm completely fed up with the factory iron sights! I bought it used but the action wasn't even fully broken in, the ONLY thing I could find different between this rifle and the new one on the shelf is it has a non-folding adjustable buckhorn rear sight where new 336ss models have a folding adjustable buckhorn.

I've spent several hours reading about replacements from Williams, Skinner, XS Ghost, Marbles, Lyman, and more...peeps, ghost rings, tangs, and the whole bunch. I load and cast my own ammunition so it is extremely important to me that I be able to reliably adjust between 2 or 3 zeros for a full power load, plinking load, etc. Thus far, the Williams FP-336-TK peep set w/FireSight front bead and Target Knobs is the most attractive option with the clearly marked graduations and positive-click adjustment knobs. Too bad Midway doesn't carry them cause I have a decently sized wish list ready to order...

Anyways...I'm not a professional gunsmith or a rifle expert but A) is this something I'll be able to install myself, B) is there a different/better product that will fit the needs I laid out and finally C) does installing this sight set eliminate the chance of putting a scope on from time to time for long distance duty?

Thanks ~ Jech
    Team 30-30 Member #276 /// ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Marlin '09 336SS 30-30 Win || Marlin '67 336SRC Texan 30-30 Win || Colt M1991A1 Series 80 Custom 45 Auto || Springfield Armory XD45 Tactical Bi-Tone || Ruger SP101 357 Magnum 2.25" || Savage Model 93R17FV

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Re: 336SS: Replacing factory iron sights

Anyways...I'm not a professional gunsmith or a rifle expert but A) is this something I'll be able to install myself, B) is there a different/better product that will fit the needs I laid out and finally C) does installing this sight set eliminate the chance of putting a scope on from time to time for long distance duty?
    I don't believe that the newest 336's are drilled/tapped for a Williams receiver sight. You may need to get a taller front sight, but you won't know for sure until you sight in. You can get an XS scout rail which employs the front two scope screw holes and the dovetail slot for the factory rear sight. Then get a scout scope from Leupold or Burris. In my opinion, the Williams sight that you are looking at is the best option for making those on the fly adjustments.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Yes you can install them yourself. It's a simple operation. If the target knob is what you really want and you can't find them in stock, then just order the set directly through Williams. They will sell them to you, but you may have to wait a bit if they're on backorder. I like and prefer Williams FP's.

I have no use for the target knobs myself, I just sight in the FP models and lock 'em down.....Good to go! I've never had to make any adjustments to them after sighting them in.

It's pretty much going to eliminate the use of a scope....unless you want to use a scout scope which would be mounted forward enough to leave the peep on.
    Steve, in Massachusetts...

I don't hunt for the kill, I kill for the hunt.

Be American, Buy American... Stimulate!

Tinhorn
    Member #

7.2gr/Unique behind a flat-base 165gr RanchDog flatpoint has a fairly different point of impact at 100 yards when compared to 33gr/W748 behind a gas-checked RD boolit

It's fun to use a scope every now and then but for the majority of the time, i want to leave the scope on the range queen.

Marlin '09 336SS 30-30 Win || Marlin '67 336SRC Texan 30-30 Win || Colt M1991A1 Series 80 Custom 45 Auto || Springfield Armory XD45 Tactical Bi-Tone || Ruger SP101 357 Magnum 2.25" || Savage Model 93R17FV

Site Contibutor Super Moderator
    Member #

Six guns pretty much nailed it. All I'll add is that if your gun was drilled & tapped on the side like they used to be, then you could leave the sight block installed & just remove the slide to gain acess to the scope mounting holes. The FP has a set screw that will let you drop the slide back in & be very close if not on zero again after removal.
    Ken,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Leverdude/
    Team 1894 member#146
    Team 45/70 member#458
    Freedoms not free!
    Support your NRA!

Tenderfoot
    Member #

I put an Aimpoint red dot on mine with a 2 MOA dot. For the range of the 30-30 it's an excellent choice. I had nothing but trouble with my factory sights. Tried the red dot and was blown away with how quick target aquisition is. I'm a happy 336ss owner now.
    I love the smell of H 110 in the morning, It smells like, like Victory

Tinhorn
    Member #

I like red dots too but I already felt like I was betraying the spirit of the rifle by just mounting a scope on it. Right now shooting offhand, I can unload the tube into a a 100yd plate as fast as I can work the action. With my full power loads, I'm not quite there yet at the 250yd plate, the factory brass bead just vanishes at these distances and I think peeps/firesights will fix that.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I have quite a few FP's. I personally see no need for the target knobs as you still need a screwdriver to loosen the set screws to make the adjustments. Williams does sell the knobs separately if you really want them.

The 336FP should do you just fine. As I see it, you have one of three decisions to make; 1) Irons only, 2) Scope and factory sights, 3) Scout scope it. You can do things to make combinations fit but I tend to think it is best to decide on your preferred sighting device and stick with it.

Go easy removing the front sight. There is a screw under it and you don't want to sheer it off whacking out the sight. Go slow and take your time and you should be fine. Just don't go smacking away is all.

Here's my 336SS with a Williams 336FP to give you a visual: http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...c,78928.0.html

Sidewinder
    Member #

i like my target knobs...i like to feel & count the clicks.
    Team 35 - - - member # 193 w/ 1995 336 CS

Team 30-30 - - - member # 503 w/ 1998 30 AW

Old Wildcatters Wisdom - Anneal before necking up... Anneal after necking down.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Tinhorn
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by gordie
    i like my target knobs...i like to feel & count the clicks.
    Me too It really helps when I take my chrono notes and record POI shifts for later. The Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x33 I have now is frustrating...the windage adjustment knob has very distinct clicks and easily read markings, however, the elevation knob is very crude lacking clear markings and is barely finger adjustable. Gotta bust out a flathead screwdriver for it!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links