+ Reply to Thread

Tinhorn
    Member #

older Weaver scopes - differences ?

Can anyone tell me, or direct me to where I can find, info on the old Weaver El Paso K4 scopes. There are a lot of different letters that follow the various Weaver K4 scopes - what do they all mean ?

Thanks

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: older Weaver scopes - differences ?

I've got an El Paso K-4 60B that I got from my Dad. Don't have any info but did find this interesting story in a web search. Cheers.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scop...r-k4-60-b.html
    1971 Marlin 336 in 30-30
    1978 Marlin 336 in 30-30
    1967 Marlin 336 R C in 35 Rem
    Team 35 #249

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Only one I know for sure is the K4-W. I guess the W stands for Wide, as it has the TV-like, widescreen eyepiece. I have two of them, and love them!
    Pisgah
    ------------------
    "He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" Micah 6:8

Deadeye
    Member #

I'm sorry that the guy who wrote that story had a bad experience with his one K4 weaver. My Dad has at least a bushel of them on various guns and they are outstanding. I would not hesitate to take one of his on any hunt I was going on.

Maybe his are newer than the ones from the story, but if I had to guess I'd say they range from the early to mid 60s to the early 70s.

Never fogged, never failed, no problems. Ever.
    Practice makes perfect. Be careful what you practice.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Team 1894 ~ Member #71
    Team 45-70 ~ Member #315
    Team 30-30 ~ Member #404

Sidewinder
    Member #

I'm not sure of the chronology of the suffixes, believe the "60" series date from that era from when they were introduced.
    I've owned a LOT of Weaver scopes and I've had mixed results. I've had 3 of them shoot the lenses in the ocular loose. One was a V4.5 that gave up the ghost after a year on my 375 H&H, still functioned, just the rear lenses would rattle back and forth about an inch. Obviously it wasn't water tight either.
    Had the same thing happen to a K2.5X on the same rifle. The V4.5 had less than 2000 rounds under it when it let go, and I'd bought it new (about 3 years before Weaver closed their doors). The K2.5 went with less than 1000 rounds under it. Last was a K3 on my beloved old .444, took a while, but it shot loose too.
    The K and V series weren't noted for being fog/water proof, in fact I don't think they were sealed and purged. They were also only magnesium flouride coated, not multi-coated so light transmission isn't the greatest when new, and as he scope ages and the coatings begin to flake it goes down hill too. Still for all their faults, they were an OK scope in their day. With the 3 bad ones in the mix, I still had/have probably 25 decent ones.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Thx for the replies but still looking for what the letters mean. I have a Weaver K4 60B on a Savage 30-06 - it is an awesome scope and combo - no matter the age. But, I have no idea what the "B" means vs and "F" on another K4. Or, K1 for that matter

I think there are differences between reticles and paralax of the different K4 scopes ( things I'm not too familiar with to begin with ).

I'm looking to buy a used one so I want to know what I'm looking for...

Thx

Gun Wizard
    Member #

I do not know what/when the progression of Weaver markings represent. I do know that .375 H & Hs were notoriously hard on scopes of all brands. I have a K4-C3 that I have always thought was a 60s product. I had it refurbished by Mr. Ruiz about 1990 (dust specs or coating flaking internally) and it has been better than new ever since. I have a K3-1 that I know the history on, It was on a 1973 Octagon new. I also have a K4 Microtrac burried in the back of the safe that I bought new in about 1980 (+ or - 1.) Microtracs were Bill Weavers downfall. They were a bit pricier than folks were accustomed to paying for Weavers and were just about as good as any, but cost more to build. I thought I had a NIB 6X Microtrac, but I cant find it. Maybe sold it or packed it away somewhere? The early Weavers were reportedly not as water resistant as Leupolds, but I have never had moisture in one of mine. Good day and hope this bit of info helps a little. Jack
    Jack.

This I-pad knows what I want to say and how to spell better than I do. Sometimes I catch it's mistakes, sometimes I don't.

Sidewinder
    Member #

I guess the analogy that I would use based on my experience with scopes back in the 60's & 70's - Weaver was a Chevrolet, Redfield was a Buick, and Leupold was a Cadillac. Then here came the Toyotas and Nissans...

The "K" series was great quality for the money with great warranty & customer service. The "Marksman" series came along to compete with the chain-store Bushnells and Tascos - not so great.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #

I have several old Weaver scopes and some are variable and marked with a V "KV" I also have several standard Weaver scopes that are non variable and just marked K.
    Life NRA
    USN-Iron Men on wooden Ships, minesweepers.
    MSO 488 and MSO437
    Team 45-70 #394
    Team 39 #96
    Team 60 #35
    Team Old Pharts #44 "Pharty-Four"
    Life member RMEF
    American Legion

Tinhorn
    Member #

Just tough to believe that there is so little info online about these scopes and there specs.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links