+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sidewinder
    Member #

What are the advantages of Peep Sights?

I must admit, I have never shot a gun with a peep sight. I have a 336 in 35 remington that came with a scope on it. I do not like how it feels with the scope on it and have taken it off. I will be using this rifle to hunt deer with and will generally be used at 100 yards or less. How does a peep sight enhance open sights? Does it make it easy to aim at 100 yards and less then on stock sights? Do I need to replace the front sight if I install a peep sight? I am clueless on this and any help you can give me would be great. On a side note I have good eyes still as I am only 30 years old. Thanks in advance for all your help...
    Joel Smith

Genesis 1:26 (King James Version)
    And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Team 35 #226
    Marlin 336cs 35 Cal 1992
    Marlin Model 200 12 G Shotgun
    Ruger 10/22
    S&W SW40F

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Re: What are the advantages of Peep Sights?

Joel,
    There are a few reasons I like the peepers. First, remember that many of mine are on tang sights. Both the Winchester type and the larger vernier sights like on my Sharps 1874's and single shots. But the same principle applies to a levergun too.
    First, it typically extends the distance betweeen the front and back sights. This in turn makes for more accuracy.
    Second, they are easier to find and acquire a target as the need arises.
    Third, they tend to focus better for older eyes.
    Fourth, it is any light, this would probably be the best sighting system I have found for quick target acquisition in low light.
    Fifth, they tend to make even a poor shot like me, look better on paper.Good luck on your hunt!
    Larry
    I have given up reality for Lever actions, Jeeps and have a wife that understands. It's a better world!
    Team 30-30 #236. Team 1894 #187.

Gunfighter
    Member #

Peep sights are inherently more accurate that open sights because it's natural to place the front sight in the center of the peep. Even with good eyesight it's not possible to clearly focus on both sights and the target. Since the rear sight will will always be slightly out of focus, you can still accurately place the front bead in the center of a fuzzy circle more accurately than trying to place it in a fuzzy notch. The downside to the peep sight is that you lose the ability to see through it in low light. The larger the hole that you use in your peep will allow you to use it in darker conditions, but it will be less accurate than a smaller diameter hole. I had always used a peep sight on my slug gun until one evening right at the last ten minutes of legal hours. When I tried to aim at a buck, my entire peep was a solid black dot. Luckily he was only about 25 yards away and I killed him by pointing the gun instinctively at him. That winter I brought that gun into the machine shop where I worked and I drilled and tapped the receiver for a mount that I machined, and it's worn a scope ever since.
    Team 30-30 - Member #136
    Marlin 336SS 30-30

"We have federal regulations and state laws that prohibit hunting ducks with more than three rounds. And yet it's legal to hunt humans with 15-round, 30-round, even 150-round magazines." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California)

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

The downside to the peep sight is that you lose the ability to see through it in low light.
    This is right on. I will typically use my peep sighted rifle for A.M. hunts only. My peeped 30TK is a good walking rifle for hunts that involve creeping around in new areas. I feel like the peep is good for quick shots, more so than a scope on low power. But I have scopes on any rifle that I take to a deer stand that I'll sit at until legal shooting is over.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Ever notice most battle rifles all have rear peeps on them.
    For quick target acquisition.
    Company
    Always on the run, Destiny is the rising sun
    I was born six gun in my hand
    Behind a gun, I'll make my final stand

Gunfighter
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Pard
    Ever notice most battle rifles all have rear peeps on them.
    For quick target acquisition.
    There's no doubt that they are more accurate and easier to use than open sights. It's also easier to train someone who's never shot before how to use a peep sight. Most of us here have shot guns our whole lives, but a large percentage of soldiers shoot their first gun during boot camp. A very good method to use is to have a peep sight with a screw in apperature. By changing the apperatures with various hole diameters, it becomes possible to find what diameter hole works best for you. With a screw in apperature it's also possible to remove the apperature when the sun starts setting, basically turning the peep sight into a ghost ring sight, which will allow some light to be seen when looking through it.
    Team 30-30 - Member #136
    Marlin 336SS 30-30

"We have federal regulations and state laws that prohibit hunting ducks with more than three rounds. And yet it's legal to hunt humans with 15-round, 30-round, even 150-round magazines." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California)

Sidewinder
    Member #

And don't forget reduced weight, better handling, more rugged and less costly!!!

Makes you feel more like John Wayne than his katy elder son with a scoped rifle!!!

Tinhorn
    Member #

Merit makes adjustable peep sites. I think their #4 site is for hunting . www.meritcorporation.com/products.html ck em out . Brownell's stocks them also. Any time you loose your front site reach up and adjust your peep .
    Be kind , for every one you meet is fighting a battle Plato

Wrangler
    Member #

I can see more of the target area than when using buckhorns.

The Williams FP I bought came with a front sight, but I like the front sight that came with my rifle better.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

Team 30-30 Member #335

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links