Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1953 336 RC 35 cal rem

6K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  SanDiegoRedneck 
#1 ·
Were the 1953 336 RC 35 rem. drilled and tapped for scope mount please?
Thanks

#4 ·
Marlin was drilling & tapping on special order before then, I don't know when they started, but it became standard in 1957. I base this on the fact that hammer spurs for pre-safety Marlins refer to them being for Marlins from 1957 - 1982. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will be along to correct me.

#6 ·
I've also got a 1955 Texan that's drilled & tapped, but I don't know if it was factory standard, special order from the factory or aftermarket. Does someone have a definitive answer?

#8 ·
Brian in FL said:
I've also got a 1955 Texan that's drilled & tapped, but I don't know if it was factory standard, special order from the factory or aftermarket. Does someone have a definitive answer?
I'v been definitively told 1956 & another said midway thru 55. It seems ALOT of the 55s we come across here, every one I ever saw so far, are drilled & tapped so I'm inclined to say 1955 at some point. It was in the catalog in 56 for the first time if I remember right. They would do it for you on an older gun if you wanted too so earlier ones could be done at the factory too.
Says in Brophy's book on 252 that "in 1956 Marlin stated that the 336C was drilled & tapped for telescope mounts, and Micro-Grove rifling was added in place of Ballard-type rifling in the center fire lever actions" But I think they started earlier. ;)

#9 ·
They probably started drilling and tapping after the '55 catalog came out and before the '56 catalog came out. My '55 RC is drilled and tapped.

#13 ·
Brian in FL said:
Thanks for the info guys. I just wonder why the hammer spurs specify 1957 - 1982. 'Tis a puzzlement.
Might be they didn't reconfigure the hammer for the spur until 57? I have a 55 but Marlin rebarelled it for me any replaced the lever, hammer & a few other parts at the same time, so I cant really say if my original hammer was made for the extension or not.

#15 ·
"j" is 1952 well before the drilling & tapping started so yours will be flat. The questionable period is from 55 to 57 I guess. I'll look in Brophy's book & see what he says.

Edit: The book says in 1956 they started with the hammers made to accept the spur.

#16 ·
Leverdude said:
"j" is 1952 well before the drilling & tapping started so yours will be flat. The questionable period is from 55 to 57 I guess. I'll look in Brophy's book & see what he says.

Edit: The book says in 1956 they started with the hammers made to accept the spur.
I realized exactly what you guys were talking about AFTER I had posted my comment. Can't delete it, though, so I will just look stupid...again. ;D

#17 ·
mogwai said:
I realized exactly what you guys were talking about AFTER I had posted my comment. Can't delete it, though, so I will just look stupid...again. ;D
No biggie, I type faster than I can think sometimes too... & thats scary since I only use two fingers. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.