Marlin Firearms Forum banner

336C vs. 336W?

119K views 43 replies 33 participants last post by  T.R. 
#1 ·
What's the real difference between the 336C and the 336W? Is the "C" more accurate?

Reactions: lever30
#7 ·
My wife, Marla, kind of fell in love with a W at Academy, so we bought it for her along with a Bushnell Elite 3200 3 - 9 X 40 scope that she liked. It's her 4th Marlin; I think she's caught the Marlinitis disease.

#8 ·
The front and rear sites are different on the W than the C. With a little better sites on the C.

The W doesn't have a fold down rear site and the C does. This is nice if you use a scope as you can mount it low and flip it down to get clearance. The W I had to remove the rear site to get clearance with the bell of the scope.

The C also has a rubber butt pad. The W just has the hard plastic butt plate.

#9 ·
Brian in FL said:
My wife, Marla, kind of fell in love with a W at Academy, so we bought it for her along with a Bushnell Elite 3200 3 - 9 X 40 scope that she liked. It's her 4th Marlin; I think she's caught the Marlinitis disease.

How lucky can A man get? A wife with Marlinitis.
Brian you must be living right. ;D

#11 ·
City Slicker said:
The "W" indicates it was an economy gun made to be sold at Walmart. They shoot fine...just not as "purdy".
The "W" means it has a Birch stock; "C" means it has a Walnut stock. The letter "W" has nothing, whatsoever to do with being sold at Walmart or not, but a lot of people think it does. It explains the difference on Marlins website.

#12 ·
INSANERANGER said:
The "W" means it has a Birch stock; "C" means it has a Walnut stock. The letter "W" has nothing, whatsoever to do with being sold at Walmart or not, but a lot of people think it does. It explains the difference on Marlins website.
This is true now but not origionally

Reactions: M1Riflenut
#14 ·
INSANERANGER said:
Actually, it does. The W models, including the 60 were originally commissioned by Walmart but licensed to sell anywhere. Leastwise that's what a long time Marlin employee informed me. :)

#18 ·
INSANERANGER said:

Actually, it does. The W models, including the 60 were originally commissioned by Walmart but licensed to sell anywhere. Leastwise that's what a long time Marlin employee informed me.
Walmart doesn't design or "commision" guns. They buy them from distributors anf srll them like any other gun dealer.

#15 ·
My 336W bought from Dicks is the most accurate 30-30 I own out of 4..no doubt having only the single band helps..but it shoots .75" all day no matter how hot it gets with 170's and 150's..have not tried the Leverevo yet because it loves the $11 a box Wally World sale ammo so well (Federal Blue box and winchester)

#16 ·
Calvin, I just looked at my 336W and it has a band around the forearm/barrel and a band behind the front site around the magazine tube and barrel. Another difference between the W and the C, the W does not have any white line spacers or pistol grip cap. I won mine on a gun club raffle ticket in 2007. It sure does love the HDY FTX factory loads. Chronographs 2300fps out of its 20" barrel.
358 Win

#19 ·
Some 4-5 years ago I went searching for a 336 "JM" stamped Marlin. My number one consideration was condition. Caliber and model were secondary. The best I found happened to be a "W". It is/was nearly a new gun with some small scratches on the metal and wood.... nothing at all to disqualify it. I could not be happier. Birch does not bother me.... but plastic does.

#22 ·
This is my "lowly" JM "W". Although the stock is birch and not as purdy as walnut it is a decent looking stained birch. Last week when I sighted it in for the upcoming deer season I put two in the same hole 1" low and 1/2" left of bull and 1 - 3/4" to the left. I raised the back sight 1 notch and called it good.

I like it a lot. Its soul is a Marlin, as good as any that were ever made

#23 ·
This is my "lowly" JM "W". Although the stock is birch and not as purdy as walnut it is a decent looking stained birch. Last week when I sighted it in for the upcoming deer season I put two in the same hole 1" low and 1/2" left of bull and 1 - 3/4" to the left. I raised the back sight 1 notch and called it good.

I like it a lot. Its soul is a Marlin, as good as any that were ever made

Yes. It does look like a nice finish. I was wondering if it was birch. Mine does not have such a deep and rich look. Did you do anything special to it?

#25 ·
It's interesting that the Marlin "W" model are often referred to as a Wal-Mart "store brand". There was a time when many retailers offered Marlins with the retailer's specific brand on them. There were many other firearms that were offered as a "store brand". These were usually offered as a lesser expensive alternative, with the same quality as the name brand firearm. By the way, I found this link on MarlinOwners!

Hoosier Gun Works : Online Catalog : Firearms Cross Reference

#35 ·
The bullseye is the trademark for Marlin, it usually showed up on walnut stocks, although I have seen other stocks with them also....could have been done by the owner.
I recall that Remington had dropped the bullseye when they took over, folks got sideways about it and they put it back in.

#37 ·
Like curtmini, I just picked up a 336W from Walmart. Birch stock. No hammer spur included. It's all completely new to me, other than research. First gun I've owned since a .22 when I was a teenager 30+ years ago. I'll pick up a single shot .22 for my kids shortly, so we can learn and re-learn together. Gun safety courses scheduled. We've done well with archery for a couple of years, so this is the next step. Trying to pick up some of those skills my great-grandfather and grandfather had, but that my dad didn't pass down to me.

#38 ·
My dad never had guns, partly I`m sure cause money was always tight, and maybe from the war which he never talked about. When I was real young he did go hunting with a neighbor a couple times, but I imagine for drinking and hanging out more than anything. He did buy me a .22 when I was 16 though,61 now still got it. And its a Marlin :)
I always thought a 30-30 lever action would be too cool, now I have a couple! I went nuts for alot of years hunting with my recurve, and took alot of deer, looking forward for gun hunting now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.