+ Reply to Thread

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Need complete disassembly diagram and directions for Marlin 336A - Circa 1950

First, let me say that I know nothing, absolutely nothing, about Marlin lever actions. A friend gave me a 1950 built 336A in 35 Rem that he can't cycle through a motion without it getting stuck with lever halfway through its range of motion. There is something missing from the action and I'm taking a guess it's where the safety should be. There is just a hole in the receiver (looking at the right side of the rifle, it is the uppermost hole before the stock.) If you look in the hole, there seems to be something misaligned with the parts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Should be a good learning experience!

-=BDD=-

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Re: Need complete disassembly diagram and directions for Marlin 336A - Circa 1950

There were no safties in 1950. I think your talking about the extractor not being in the proper position. There are far more knowledgable people on this site than myself. If you look in the gunsmithing forum you will see how to take the lever out and pull the bolt out of the gun and the extractor is right in front of you. This may be the whole problem. But don't tell your friend because he might want the gun back. Good luck

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: Need complete disassembly diagram and directions for Marlin 336A - Circa 1950

Team 444 member #255
    Team .35 member #255
    Team 30-30
    NRA Life

Really Short Fuse Administrator
    Edmond, Oklahoma - That's just North of the Red River Team .444 Charter Member
    Member #

More stuff in the Reference Library if that doesn't float your boat.
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/
    MO Member #77

Member #

Welcome to MO.

As said, there is no safety on that model so if you have a hole in the uppermost right, that would be the carrier screw and that would definitely cause a problem.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Thanks for the info! I've disassembled it and I definitely need the carrier screw. Is there a readily available source for this part and other than aligning the parts in the receiver and inserting the screw, is there anything else that needs done? Thanks again and you have a very good forum here. Keep up the good work!

-=BDD=-

Contributing Member
    Member #

Check out Numrich Gun Parts. http://www.gunpartscorp.com It looks like the carrier screw costs $3.50 plus shipping. Congrats on your $3.50 rifle , Lonnie.
    Middle aged, middle class, blue collar white guy. I hunt, fish, eat meat, wear the skins of animals for clothes and burn fossil fuels for fun and profit. Everything is my fault and I am OK with that.

Lonnie

Marlin League #36
    Team .22 Magnum #33

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog Dad
    Thanks for the info! I've disassembled it and I definitely need the carrier screw. Is there a readily available source for this part and other than aligning the parts in the receiver and inserting the screw, is there anything else that needs done? Thanks again and you have a very good forum here. Keep up the good work!

-=BDD=-
    As Lonnie said, Gunparts is one source, Brownell's and MidwyaUSA are other popular options.

I'd start by getting the screw and then give everything a good cleaning while it is apart, put back together and see where you're at.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

BDD, welcome to MO!!. Lots of good info here, and lots of people willing to share. Take care, John.
    Just keep on keeping on.
    It's not what you do, it's how you do what you do, that counts.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skills.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links