+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wrangler
    Member #

An Afternoon With Larry Benoit!

I'm likely posting in the wrong forum but guess I wanted to share my experience with you 336 lovers since I spend so much time here and learn so much from all you.

Had the day off today and finally found the time and inclination to take a beautiful drive to Vermont to visit with the legendary Larry Benoit. About ten years ago, I purchased an excellent original copy of his book "How to Bag the Biggest Buck of Your Life" and had it signed by all of his boys about 5 years ago at a local sporting expo. Never got Larry's signature and it just didn't seem complete so I finally decided that I had better do this or I never would.

Drove about 175 miles from my home, as the crow fly's, and made it there shortly after lunch today. He was very welcoming and asked me to come inside and sit down at the kitchen table. He looked the book over and signed it immediately, then brought me into the living room to show off the good stuff while talking incessantly about his father, wife (whom passed 2 years ago), and some of the deer he has taken (his first with a .22 long!). He showed some hand made knives which were beautifully made and etched with the date and his initials. Handles of bone, jade, and hide. I had no money but hope to save a little and perhaps head out there around Christmas to purchase one. He let me handle his 760 .270 carbine which was a treat and the walls of mounts were amazing. I grew up reading and dreaming the Field & Stream stories in the 70's/80's and it alway's seemed he was living the life most hunter's envy. A true American original - nothing artificial about the man.

You'll be pleased to know that at 86 Larry is heading out for a hunting trip in a couple of weeks, a little slow after knee surgery but getting around just fine and I don't doubt he will probably line up on a big one this year as he has been doing for so many years and making it look easy!!

Posted a few photos (a few of his home) and I hope I don't cross any privacy boundaries but I hope you enjoy them!

Attached Images Attached Images
    "We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun; he is no more humane, while his education has been sadly neglected". - Thoreau

Tinhorn
    Member #

Re: An Afternoon With Larry Benoit!

That must have been a great experience; I'm green with envy!

Contributing Member
    Member #

That's just great!

Gun Wizard
    Member #

I met Larry Benoit at a Sportsman Show in Harrisburg, Pa. Introduced myself and shook his hand. Told him I have several 760's/7600. His eyes lit up when I told him I had a 760 rechambered to .358 Win and 7600 in 300 Savage. He said the .358 was a great short range deer cartridge and the .300 Savage was too. We then got to talking about the 760's he had laying out on the table. His 760's sure looked like they were used HARD. You spent an afternoon you will
    never forget. I'm really glad for you!
    358 Win
    Thump em with a .35 caliber and they stay
    thumped. Team 35 member #17. Team 30-30 member # 98. Team .32 Special #5. NRA Life Member. USN 7/10/69 - 12/6/73. Operation Homecoming Staff, Clark Air Base, Philippines.
    Master Mason, Porter Lodge #284, 10th Masonic District.

Gunfighter
    Member #

Man you guy .I have there movies ,books , e-mail shane a few times I sure do love these guys . Larry at 86 does more then most. I sure hope these guys get back togather again as hunters and family . Good luck and wish it was me there also.I am glad you met him

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I have the book called "Big Bucks the Benoit Way" really enjoyed it. They have piled up the big bucks!

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Littlemarlin, that afternoon is a memory that will live with you forever. WOW, meeting the greats of our sport is the best way to spend an afternoon. enjoy the memory and tahnks very much for sharing with the rest of us. Take care, John.
    Just keep on keeping on.
    It's not what you do, it's how you do what you do, that counts.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skills.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Great story and great Pics. them Benoits sure are some deer slayers. When I lived up in Maine I read one of there books they used to go up to Maine and get the really big deer
    Marlin 336 RC .35 cal
    .35 Rem Club Member 152

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Great story. Thanks for sharing!

Wrangler
    Member #

Thanks guys, It was a pleasurable afternoon.

Larry is a very simple guy, without a lot of money. Seems to miss his wife a lot. My thinking is that a few people have made a lot of money on the Benoit name and not much of it has made it into his hands which is unfortunate. These guys are authentic and I don't believe ever sought recognition. Just did what they love and were recognized for it.

Most of it started with the September '70' issue of Sports Afield showing Larry on the cover looking down the sights of his 760 carbine. The caption read: "Larry Benoit....Is he the Best Deer Hunter in America?" A subjective question but hard to argue he is not ranked up there with the best.

If anyone here lives close, make it a point to stop in and say hello. His knives are a bit pricey but well made and if you have $285-$300 go ahead and pick one up, I doubt you'll regret it.

"We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun; he is no more humane, while his education has been sadly neglected". - Thoreau

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links