+ Reply to Thread

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Loose stock on used 336

I'm looking at picking up my first 336 and found one at a pawn shop that looks like a winner, with one exception. The buttstock has a bit of wiggle to it. I understand that this could be a simple as tightening down a loose screw, but what if that doesn't do it? What kind of investment will it take to remedy the situation? I'm trying to figure out what I'm getting myself into before I make an offer.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Re: Loose stock on used 336

Numrich arms has lots of good new marlin butt stocks any where from $25-$140 it just depends on what kind of stock it has on it and whether or not you can find one to match what you want. Like you said it might just have a loose screw as long as the stock seems to fit good and that it does not have any cracks or repairs I would think a simple $20 stock bedding kit would take up any room and would take the play out of the stock. Iím sure others will have some different suggestions but if the gun was what I wanted and it was a good price I was happy with just because the stock was a bit loose would not keep me from buying it. Jut my 2 cents but I think you will be able to get the wobble out with little to no expense.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Re: Loose stock on used 336

Sometimes there is a crack on one side of the stock that allows it to feel loose. I have fixed thses with Accu-glass gel bedding compound. I first clean away any crude and slighlty oil soaked woodthen, I spread the cracked area slightly and use a thin stick to push the bedding coumpound into the crack.
    I will put the stock back on the action and clamp it together using a soft clamp method and snug up the tang screw.

BE sure and use the release agent that comes with the bedding compound or your stock will be stuck to the action forever!
    There are good instuctions that comes with it.

In a separtate step I will fit the tang to the wood the best I can. But sometimes there is still a small gap on one of the sides of the wood that goes into the side of the action. I put bedding compound in there and that really makes it a shooter. DON'T FORGET THE RELEASE AGENT! Using it beyond the area you think the bedding compound will flow to. The release agent comes off easy but the bedding compound is forever.

John

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links