+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Synthetic Stocks for Marlin 336

It seems like the only synthetic stocks for Marlin 336's are from Ram Line; I am shocked that the good folks at Hogue have not produced a stock for the 336. I have waited four years to get my 336W and I can't believe there is not some custom stock maker who makes a synthetic stock for my new baby. The walnut stock is a heavy old beast, and seeing as I will be using this rig to hunt in the rainforests where I live (West Coast, South Island, New Zealand) I need a kick axe weather resistant stock. Anybody got any ideas?

Sidewinder
    Member #

Re: Synthetic Stocks for Marlin 336

MPI stock makes them, I also think wild west guns has some for sale. They are pricey though.

Bob
    Meat Hunters Do It For Dinner

86' 336 CS 35 Rem
    Sightron 2.5x10x32
    Cast Bullets, LE's, Coreloks

Site Contributor & Team 444 Co-Captain Super Moderator
    Member #

If your toting a 336W with a walnut stock...you got something special there. 336W are NOT walnut stocked, they are hardwood walnut stained stocks. Always have been. Good luck in your search for the synthetic one. Mr fixit
    TO ARMS!!
    Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Team 444 Co-Captain
    Member #168 1994 444SS
    Team 45/70--- #23 2009 1895CB
    Team 1894-----# 301 2001 45LC CB
    Team 39------- #41 2004 39A
    Team 60------- # 22 60SB, 60SS, Model 65 "Golden 50"
    Marlin League-- #18

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."-----Thomas Jefferson

Hunting - It's a matter of national security.
    wisconsin-mo-ers

Sidewinder
    Member #

Im somewhat having the same problem except, I am looking for a synthetic "Straight Stock" for my 336, and I really cant find one? Does anyone know if theres any synthetic straight stocks anywhere?

The only reason why I am looking for one is because I want to keep the original stock in good condition and put aside, also the tactical look would be kind of interesting as well! I just plan on keeping the original stock nice and perfect so when I feel like being all original, i can just swap them and it will look beautiful.
    Model 60 .22LR
    336 30-30
    XL7 30-06

Team 60 #99
    Team 30-30 #210
    Team X7 #37

Deadeye
    Member #

Honestly, the Ram Line is fine, I don't know why everyone is so afraid of it. Buy the Ram-Line, fit it to your gun then remove it again and apply a few coats of textured black paint for a better grip and to remove the unsightliness of the plastic. Install it and shoot. If you don't like the hollow knocking sound it makes when struck with another object, fill it with styrofoam.

The reason a lot of manufacturers don't make synthetic Marlin stocks is because there is not a massive demand for them, and what demand there is, some just buy a Ram Line or spend a ridiculous amounts of money on an MPI stock. There may be other options out there, but within the lever action community the general consensus is that black stocks are still sacrilegious.

I have a Ram Line on my 336 and it does the job. I threw a small Kickeez pad on there as well and it's a great little rifle for the seasons.
    "I've got one too many and it's still not enough."

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoreOffroad
    Honestly, the Ram Line is fine, I don't know why everyone is so afraid of it. Buy the Ram-Line, fit it to your gun then remove it again and apply a few coats of textured black paint for a better grip and to remove the unsightliness of the plastic. Install it and shoot. If you don't like the hollow knocking sound it makes when struck with another object, fill it with styrofoam.

The reason a lot of manufacturers don't make synthetic Marlin stocks is because there is not a massive demand for them, and what demand there is, some just buy a Ram Line or spend a ridiculous amounts of money on an MPI stock. There may be other options out there, but within the lever action community the general consensus is that black stocks are still sacrilegious.

I have a Ram Line on my 336 and it does the job. I threw a small Kickeez pad on there as well and it's a great little rifle for the seasons.
    I've long been a fan of your projects and reference them often.

How much fitting is generally needed with the Ram Line?

Deadeye
    Member #

The only fitting I had to do was on the buttstock, specifically the rear tang. The slot for the rear tang had to be opened just very slightly in order for the buttstock to go on 100%. I've heard from other people that the stock sometimes slides right on while others require fitting. To me it is a small price to pay for a cheap synthetic stock. It is what it is.
    "I've got one too many and it's still not enough."

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoreOffroad
    The only fitting I had to do was on the buttstock, specifically the rear tang. The slot for the rear tang had to be opened just very slightly in order for the buttstock to go on 100%. I've heard from other people that the stock sometimes slides right on while others require fitting. To me it is a small price to pay for a cheap synthetic stock. It is what it is.
    They'd be going on my $250 336W project rifle so I don't need anything overly fancy.

I like the reduced weight idea is why I am considering them.

Sidewinder
    Member #

How about a straight stock? I cant find one
    Model 60 .22LR
    336 30-30
    XL7 30-06

Team 60 #99
    Team 30-30 #210
    Team X7 #37

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by RawJuice
    How about a straight stock? I cant find one
    I've never seen a straight grip synthetic on the market. A couple guys here have made them out of fiberglass but that is beyond most of our abilities.

One option for ya, especially if you just want to preserve your originals and obtain a look, is to buy another set of wood stocks and do something like TractorShaft did here: http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...,46726.30.html

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links