+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sidewinder
    Member #

30/30 vs 7-30 waters

Ok, I have been following the 7-30 waters conversion. I am certain I am a bit uninformed. How superior is the 7-30? I realize that you will get a little better Sectional Density and a slightly better BC. I compaired the BC of the 130 grain Speer .308 fp and the 130 grain Speer 7mm fp. The 7mm is only slightly better. What am I missing? Is there more powder capacity in the 7-30 waters? It seems like the real difference may be the weight of the bullets that are prefered in each. Help me out here. What is the typical (realish) fps and drop on a typical 130 grain fp 7mm from the 7-30? I know that you can get about 2500 fps out of a 130 grain Speer fp .308 from a 30/30. That will give you about a 6 inch drop at 200 yards. How much better will the 7-30 Waters do?
    Thanks
    PB

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

30/30 vs 7-30 waters

By no means am I an expert. However, I just got done reading Ken Watters Handload book, and the advantages of the 7-30 over the 30-30 are about the same as the 7-08 over the 308. Better downrange ballistics in the form of better energy delivery, sectional density, and less recoil. The disadvantages now are that there is only one or two bullets made for 7-30 and that nobody makes the gun (lever action). It uses a necked down 30-30 case. I am sure that many would enjoy this cartridge, but the availability of cartridges, bullets etc. eliminates those who realize that advantage. Those that relize advantage of 7mm over.308 will probably pursue other calibers more efficient yet. Namely those that are pointed, and not rounded.

Deadeye
    Member #

30/30 vs 7-30 waters

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. A
    By no means am I an expert. However, I just got done reading Ken Watters Handload book, and the advantages of the 7-30 over the 30-30 are about the same as the 7-08 over the 308. Better downrange ballistics in the form of better energy delivery, sectional density, and less recoil. The disadvantages now are that there is only one or two bullets made for 7-30 and that nobody makes the gun (lever action). It uses a necked down 30-30 case. I am sure that many would enjoy this cartridge, but the availability of cartridges, bullets etc. eliminates those who realize that advantage. Those that relize advantage of 7mm over.308 will probably pursue other calibers more efficient yet. Namely those that are pointed, and not rounded.
    Fairly well said. I've got both. The 7-30 Waters with the 120 gr. FP is much like the 6.5x55 loaded with the 140 gr. Not quite as fast, not quite as flat but pretty close.

Personally, I like the 170 gr. bullets in the .30-30. No comparison with velocities or trajectory of the 7-30 then.

Put another way the 7-30 is a better .25-35 than the .25-35 offering a similar weight bullet at 400 fps greater velocity. The .25-35 and it's kin the .25-36 and .25 Rem. were marketed as cartridges for the expert and all-around use.

That's my take on it.
    Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." R. L. Stevenson

Shooting with Hobie

Wrangler
    Member #

30/30 vs 7-30 waters

The 7-30 I hate to say is the answer to a non existant problem. For some reason the guys want to make a mid range antelope rifle out of a lever action brush gun. The 30-30 gives better penetration on hard angles for short range shooting. Apractised rifleman can make good shots out to around 200 yards with a 30-30 if he knows his rifle well and for me is scoped. The 284 was designed to give 270 ballistics in a short action lever or semi-auto rifle and it died quickly because for open country hunting a bolt action rifle works just fine. Meaning the 30-30 is just fine as a general purpose deer rifle, if you want more range you can easily pick out a rifle more suited in a cartridge that will far surpass anything you can get out of the 30-30 case.
    aker of "Catfish Crack" punch bait

6pt-sika

30/30 vs 7-30 waters

Quote Originally Posted by rickt300
    The 7-30 I hate to say is the answer to a non existant problem. For some reason the guys want to make a mid range antelope rifle out of a lever action brush gun. The 30-30 gives better penetration on hard angles for short range shooting. Apractised rifleman can make good shots out to around 200 yards with a 30-30 if he knows his rifle well and for me is scoped. The 284 was designed to give 270 ballistics in a short action lever or semi-auto rifle and it died quickly because for open country hunting a bolt action rifle works just fine. Meaning the 30-30 is just fine as a general purpose deer rifle, if you want more range you can easily pick out a rifle more suited in a cartridge that will far surpass anything you can get out of the 30-30 case.
    Personally I don't see any problem !!!!! At present I own 5 30-30's and I still want a 7-30 Waters on a 336 action. And furthermore I have no intentions of taking it antelope hunting. I own quite a few bolt guns that I consider far better suited to slaying an antelope. My want of the 7-30 , is just for another lever gun to load and cast for :!: Sorry if this caused you any offense, but my desire for most any rifle anymore is just to be able to load and shoot . You also mention availability of ammo and components, anyone who would undertake this would more than likely lay in a supply of components before builing the gun WHICH I HAVE DONE , along with a bullet mold or two. I figure a thousand 120grain Nosler FP's , a thousand Hornady 139grain FP's and the same amount of the still made Speer 130 grain FP's should keep me shooting the rest of my life :!:

BlueMoon

30/30 vs 7-30 waters

I think the 7-30 and 30/30 compliment each other. Just adding a little variety to bullet weight and reloading choices. If you can only have one, by all means get a 30/30, but I'd rather have at least one of each. I have several bolt rifles that are more accurate long range hunting tools, but we love levers, right?

Bill

Deadeye
    Member #

30/30 vs 7-30 waters

I wouldn't consider the 7-30 superior to the 30-30, but each has its strong points. I just bought a 24inch barrel from www.midwayusa.com for a future project and that's the only thing I have right now a barrel. Well that and an idea. And I think leverguns can be as accurate as bolt guns. Several people I have talked to over the years can shoot 1in groups at 100yds, that's bolt gun accuracy. If you get a chance jump over to www.leverguns.com and look thru the article section for an article called "The Waters Edge" by Paco Kelly, you might find it rather interesting or may be able to answer some of your questions.

JDW

Wrangler
    Member #

30/30 vs 7-30 waters

Well I sort of ignored the "want one for fun" aspect and can't deny my own weakness in wanting different cartridges and bore diameters to play with. I have 4 different rifles that shoot 30 caliber bullets. 2 22 centerfires, a 6.5 ,a .7x57, a .270 and I am in the process of building another 22 centerfire. I would buy 7-30 Waters just because I haven't shot one yet but it would not be for superiority over say my 30-30 .
    aker of "Catfish Crack" punch bait

Tenderfoot
    Member #

30/30 vs 7-30 waters

At this time I have no use for a 7-30. But I sure have a want!!! Like some people I feel its just another great levergun to play with. Lets face it if it was all about a gun to hunt big game with everyone would own just one most likely a 30-06 or .308. Its about the pleasure of owning different things and enjoyment of them. I dont need a 25-35 or a 7-30 but I sure would like to have one!!

Tenderfoot
    Member #

30/30 vs 7-30 waters

At this time I have no use for a 7-30. But I sure have a want!!! Like some people I feel its just another great levergun to play with. Lets face it if it was all about a gun to hunt big game with everyone would own just one most likely a 30-06 or .308. Its about the pleasure of owning different things and enjoyment of them. I dont need a 25-35 or a 7-30 but I sure would like to have one!!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links