Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Loctite on scope base mounts, yes or no?

27K views 42 replies 39 participants last post by  gonzo 
#1 ·
Soon I will be mounting a new scope on my 35 Rem. It sounds like the red loctite is the one to use. It also sounds like a hair dryer will help if I someday need to remove it.

However, I've noticed that some claim it's not necessary to use loctite.

So, what do you think? Should I use it or not? If not, what's your reasoning behind it? Thanks.

#27 ·
JBledsoe said:
Tommy Kelly said:
I have never used any type thread sealer on my mounts. The main thing is to use the proper size screwdriver and tighten the screws down good. I have never had a screw come loose.
I agree, I don't like Loctite on scope mounts.
Add me to the list of non-users of Loctite or anything else on scope mount screw threads, and I've never had any come loose on me, even on the heaviest kicking rifles.

#28 ·
I used the red a few times . I twisted the head plum of a 336 front site screw too. Now its blue or fingernail polish for me too . Just seems like cheap insurance .

#29 ·
Halwg said:
Blue loctite on all the screws. I have done this since 1990 when a loose mount cost me a 7 pt buck that my brother shot after I missed. The red can be removed with heat, it's not that difficult.
I'm going with Hal on this. I use blue loctite ... if you've never had a mount come loose, it doesn't mean it won't happen. It is just an easy step in the process of getting a solid scope setup ...

bjm

#31 ·
Do not use the RED. I use the purple that is made for small screws. I had to order mine at my local auto parts.

I have also used the blue and never had to take it apart, and if I do need to, I hope it comes off. That's been 20 years back.

#32 ·
Use Blue Loctite. The correct torque spec is 18inch pounds for #6 screws and 24 inchpounds for #8's. This is actually much less than you probably think. I have had to drill out more than one set of base screws before. You do not need to "white knuckle" those base screws or rings either for that matter. John Barsness wrote a very good article within this last year on this. He found scope manufacturors often get damaged scopes in for repair that have been crushed at the outer tube and no longer adjust correctly.
Midway and others sell a handy tool named the FAT wrench. Stands for Firearms Accurizing Wrench. All it ammounts to is a torque wrench shaped as a screwdriver that is adjustable to most all of the normal spec range used in assembling firearms. I bought mine a couple of years ago and allong with my laser bore sighter have never mounted a scope again without them. No guessing, I know it's right when I'm done.
Guzziac,
Richard P.

#35 ·
Gee. I feel kind of alone out here in the red zone. Been using it for years and only occasionally have I had to use some heat to remove a screw or two.
I also use a drop of it under each mount as I put them on and wipe off the excess as it runs out.
Two important steps for me. First is to tap the end of the screwdriver with a plastic hammer when truning the screws tighter. It bumps the threads and gives me another 1/4 turn or so. Still not with excessive turning pressure, but very snug. Second step is to use a 1" steel rod to align the rings - not the scope tube. Only had to lap a couple sets of rings over the years.
The screws that hold the scope via the ring caps never get anything except evenly tightened.
Larry

#36 ·
We use loctite at work all the time. One thing to remember is that loctite has a experation date on it and will go bad.

#38 ·
My local gunsmith uses red on all the customers guns if he thinks they won't be working on them themselves. He uses the tip of an always hot solder pen to get the screws loose when needed.

#39 ·
BestBoss, you are not alone. I have also used the red for years on customer guns and my own. Never yet had a problem loosening one, but always have access to heat when doing it. I can see where it might be problem in a tent using a do-all and a candle. ;D I didn't put anything on my .30-40 target mounts last week, used a bore laser to align the scope, and it was minute of 12 inch clanger at 125 yards today without further adjustment. I hope it stays on without the locktite.

#41 ·
I use a small amount of blue Loctite on the screws after first degreasing the screws and holes. Never had a problem with screws loosening. Provided you don't drown the screws, they can be removed with a quality hollow-ground screwdriver. A trick to removing screws is to take a cheap screwdriver that fits the screws, heat the tip with a torch, then hold the screwdriver blade in the screw slots for perhaps 20 seconds. Then, back out the screw with your hollow-ground screwdriver. Never apply the torch directly to the screws. You may also heat the screw with a fine tipped soldering iron readily available at Radio Shack.

Blue Loctite is intended for screws that may have to be removed.

#42 ·
Loctite used to make explicit recommendations based on screw size. They don't do that any more and their data sheets are more ambiguous. In genereral, purple (222 and 222MS) - which used to be recommended for screws of the size used to mount scopes - is now recommended "for the locking and sealing of threaded fasteners which require easy disassembly with standard hand tools." Further, 222 "prevents loosening and leakage from shock and vibration. Particularly suitable for applications such as adjustment of set screws, small diameter or long engagement length fasteners, where easy disassembly is required without shearing the screw." There are several medium-strength grades of blue material and those data sheets say much the same but emphasize oil resistance and additional temperature and vibration resistance. In my opinion, both are more suitable than the high-strength red material as that much strength is not necessary and even with heat application the potential for shearing small screws is increased. All that said, it is up to your personal preference. I suspect that anyone who has experienced a loosened mount in the field will always use threadlocker in the future. I use 222MS (purple).

#43 ·
All true zuikowarrior, the darned thing is red is easiest to find followed by blue than purple. I have a purple tube right now and it holds well and removes easily. However blue has the advantage of working on oily threads and holds even better despite being removable

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.